U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 PM
 
74 posts, read 127,751 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Need to get my NC license and plates here in the next week or so! Could anyone offer any advice on making this is stress free (if possible) as possible? Any advice on what to do, when to do it, and/or where? What is the procedure that one needs to go through to accomplish both getting a driver's license and plates?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 89,556,166 times
Reputation: 39919
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarth08 View Post
Need to get my NC license and plates here in the next week or so! Could anyone offer any advice on making this is stress free (if possible) as possible? Any advice on what to do, when to do it, and/or where? What is the procedure that one needs to go through to accomplish both getting a driver's license and plates?

Thanks!
Be willing to travel outside of Charlotte and Mecklenburg county for one thing. I was recently in Mt. Airy and walked right in with no line whatsoever, it was awesome! Go to Statesville or Kings Mountain, places like that if you need to stay closer to Charlotte

Also, be sure to bring every piece of info the website says you need (SS card, ect) and cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
57 posts, read 68,730 times
Reputation: 38
hello, when you take the drivers test, make sure to look at the pictures for hints and if you are unsre about the answer, you can skip that question and get back to it at the end. I think when you reach 6 incorrect answers, you fail automatically. Not sure when the best time is to go, since the last time I went was my first time. I went to the DMV on Idlewild rd, which I think just closed. Make sure to have your birth certificate, a bill with your current address, INSURANCE CARD (I forgot to bring mine inside and had to run back out, lol), registration.
My husband took care of the plates for both of our trucks but he said he was in and out fast and the lady helping him was so nice.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,821,159 times
Reputation: 1624
The one on arrow wood and nations ford is fairly fast for you DL. The tags will require going to another place and all I know of in charlotte are SLOW. Go early and be in line when they open is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,635 posts, read 27,961,018 times
Reputation: 9306
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Be willing to travel outside of Charlotte and Mecklenburg county for one thing. I was recently in Mt. Airy and walked right in with no line whatsoever, it was awesome! Go to Statesville or Kings Mountain, places like that if you need to stay closer to Charlotte

Also, be sure to bring every piece of info the website says you need (SS card, ect) and cash.
No DMV offices in Kings Mountain. I go to Gastonia, but there are facilities in Shelby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 89,556,166 times
Reputation: 39919
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No DMV offices in Kings Mountain. I go to Gastonia, but there are facilities in Shelby.
Alright then, I vote for a trip to Shelby

Anything beats the long lines and aggravation in Charlotte, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: The 12th State
22,974 posts, read 59,162,798 times
Reputation: 14957
Far as tags I would go ahead and have the car inspected before you go to save a head ache later.

Stop by your insurance office and get a D123 form or something like that before going to license office
Map out the tag office from Drivers License office so your not driving around whatever town you choose. IMO I dont know what side of town your in but Concord is where I recommend
Concord, DMV Building
Handbook
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...DL_English.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
 
1,343 posts, read 2,953,801 times
Reputation: 980
In summary, to minimize stress:

1. Find an office in the burbs with shorter waiting time.
2. Review the manual so you are familiar with the written test.
3. Check and recheck the required documentation. Many people show up missing something which gets them turned away and of course is very stressful. I am not even going to review the list of required documents - just make sure you have EVERYTHING

I will say when we went with my 21 year old son he did not have proof of insurance (the insurance cards are in my name and my wife's name) but the DMV folks let me call my insurance agent on the phone who faxed a form to DMV with my son's name on it that met their requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 89,556,166 times
Reputation: 39919
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
In summary, to minimize stress:

1. Find an office in the burbs with shorter waiting time.
2. Review the manual so you are familiar with the written test.
3. Check and recheck the required documentation. Many people show up missing something which gets them turned away and of course is very stressful. I am not even going to review the list of required documents - just make sure you have EVERYTHING

I will say when we went with my 21 year old son he did not have proof of insurance (the insurance cards are in my name and my wife's name) but the DMV folks let me call my insurance agent on the phone who faxed a form to DMV with my son's name on it that met their requirement.
Yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Greer
1,667 posts, read 2,082,728 times
Reputation: 1199
I went to the Arrowood office and showed up at 7:40 - they open at 8:00 - and I was already at the end of a very long line. It took until past 10:00 to get out with my license. Judging from that one day, they are incredibly understaffed.


You can read almost every test question and answer here:

http://stevefrey.com/2010/07/30/nort...t-study-guide/ The only questions I had trouble with were the punishments for certain violations and how license points work.


You will go through a vision test where you look into a machine and read off a series of digits in groups of 3. 539, 217, 604, etc.

This machine will also show you street signs you will have to explain what they mean. The part that really got me was where they show you the blank sign and you have to say what a sign of that shape and color usually means. They showed a white rectangle, which could be any number of a dozen or so signs (no parking, turns from center lane, no stopping or standing, u turn yield to right turn, etc.) , but the answer is a speed limit sign. (Don't ask me what the point is of recognizing a speed limit sign if you can't read the speed limit number.)


Bring cash (license for me was $32), because they don't take out of state checks or any credit/debit cards.

Last edited by gvsteve; 12-09-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top