Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

33 posts, read 101,869 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Im trying to do some things to my kitchen and i keep coming across a problem: Every website I visit, or magazine that I reach for, has tons of pics of upscale, $10k and up kitchen remodels!
I just want to get new tile and a backsplash installed in my home!!! My neighborhood has $150k-$200k homes, and my development is 6 years old. We all have pretty modern kitchens, but our development isn't a "luxury" development.
My question to you all is: What websites can you all recommend that would allow me to look at "normal" or modest kitchen updates? If you all have done any new backsplashes, please share pics! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM

57 posts, read 78,300 times
when we lived in Va and remodeled our kitchen (everything!) we bought beautiful stone from lowe's for the back splash and found a local tile store for the granite counter tops. We were able to get granite in 24x24 pieces and it was much cheaper than going with a full slab. Sorry, don't know of any granite stores here, but I am sure a little Google search can help.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:47 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
Ikea

Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt03445 View Post
Hello Everyone!

Im trying to do some things to my kitchen and i keep coming across a problem: Every website I visit, or magazine that I reach for, has tons of pics of upscale, $10k and up kitchen remodels!
I just want to get new tile and a backsplash installed in my home!!! My neighborhood has $150k-$200k homes, and my development is 6 years old. We all have pretty modern kitchens, but our development isn't a "luxury" development.
My question to you all is: What websites can you all recommend that would allow me to look at "normal" or modest kitchen updates? If you all have done any new backsplashes, please share pics! Thanks!
It would probably be easier and serve you well if you could post a current picture of your kitchen so people can give you recommendations on color/tile size/type/etc...

You don't have to go with it, but its very helpful when you receive advice in terms of decorating (to see things you might not notice...)

Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
The wife and I priced out a tile backsplash about 4 months ago and it came out to $2500. That price would probably come down if you picked a basic tile. Not sure how a tile backsplash could cost $10,000 but I guess it could happen. Take measurements and head to Lowes or Home Depot. Take a look at what they have and get a quote. You can also check out Charlotte Tile | Charlotte Granite Counter Tops | Bathroom Kitchen Remodeling or there is another place off 77. You can see it going south on 77 near Beatty's Ford Road.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:34 AM

385 posts, read 890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
The wife and I priced out a tile backsplash about 4 months ago and it came out to $2500.
$2500??? Thats one heck of a backsplash.

Go The Tile Shop of Nations Ford and 77. They have a great showroom that will give you a lot of ideas. You can get anywhere from $4/sqft 4" travertine to glass mosaics that are $20/sqft. If you need an installer DM me.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 AM

338 posts, read 796,720 times
DIYnetwork of HGTV sites will give you some good ideas on modest back splashes, and tile floors. it also a easy DIY project to save yourself some money, there are lots of good tile places in Charlotte to choose from.

I just did a backsplash where my total costs were $600 and that price include a cheap tile cutter I got from Sears

Doing the floors is a little more involved, for installer to do it I have been quoted $3 to $7 a square ft for install, the tiles themselves can be as low as $.59 a sq ft to skys the limit.

But you can easily do the project for a few grand.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:55 AM

385 posts, read 890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivster View Post
Doing the floors is a little more involved, for installer to do it I have been quoted $3 to $7 a square ft for install, the tiles themselves can be as low as $.59 a sq ft to skys the limit.
Just a public service annoucement:

Do not use cheap (less than $1/sqft) tile on any high traffic areas suchs as kitchens/entryways. Its a ceramic tile thats ok for baths and walls, but you need to use porcelain on all other floors.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
$2500??? Thats one heck of a backsplash.
That's the reason it's not being done. Not sure if it was the tile the wife picked or if they are just charging alot. It was nothing special. Just 12x12 tile of the 0.5" x 1" tile. Though the wife wanted parts cut out and another tile put in to add some color. We are not in a rush. I figured I could get it done for about $1000. Once we get serious I'll get about 3-4 quotes using different tile and designs at each place.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 AM

338 posts, read 796,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
Just a public service annoucement:

Do not use cheap (less than $1/sqft) tile on any high traffic areas suchs as kitchens/entryways. Its a ceramic tile thats ok for baths and walls, but you need to use porcelain on all other floors.
I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte