U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 PM

36 posts, read 92,692 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever used Geek Squad, or something similar? Thoughts.... Would you do it again? How popular are these services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM

403 posts, read 763,808 times
Perhaps they are alright....but I would stay with a family owned company like Dat-a-Syst on South Blvd. They will take care of you and will stand behind their work. I have used them several times....and I've never had a problem!!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,001 times
Geek Squad (speaking from observation) is overpriced for what you get, and it is in a retail setting with emphasis on creating profit. Small, locally owned computer professionals get my vote. I can't recommend anyone specific as we are computer gurus and do our own work.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,270,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
with emphasis on creating profit.
A business trying to turn a profit? Shame on them!! Who do they think they are??

Profit isn't an evil thing. Any business not focused on turning a profit is dead.

As for computer repairs, my experience has been that the smaller shops do more for the money. There's a place off Monroe Road, in the business park across the street from the Autobell, that helped me out a while back. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it had 'computer' in it.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
Never used Geek Squad but have heard many horror stories. I am sure there are plenty of good customer service stories as well.

IMO, if you can find someone who just does repairs/troubleshooting you are usually better off. Geek Squad, et al are part of big box stores so they have a vested interest in trying to get you to buy a new OS, software, hardware, etc. Someone who is just doing repairs is usually less interested in trying to get you to buy something new.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:38 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,120,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
A business trying to turn a profit? Shame on them!! Who do they think they are??

Profit isn't an evil thing. Any business not focused on turning a profit is dead.

As for computer repairs, my experience has been that the smaller shops do more for the money. There's a place off Monroe Road, in the business park across the street from the Autobell, that helped me out a while back. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it had 'computer' in it.
Do you seriously have to take that out of context?

Big box retail store are notorious for padding the profit margin with add-in's that are not necessary or essential. The smaller shops are more involved in doing the job right, standing behind their work and giving the biggest bang for the buck.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:03 AM

358 posts, read 473,020 times
I would suggest not going to Geek Squad if possible. I work in IT and do all my IT work, but I have heard too many horror stories, plus out of curiosity I have looked at what they charge for some services!! I know there is a place around Monroe Road and I think it is eastway drive that is supposedly recommended by people on Angie's List (I have heard of this but not familiar). I don't know anyone that has gone there before but there also is ATD Computers I believe it is about a mile or two north on statesville road beyond wt harris. I know someone that has had some work done there and they were pleased.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 AM

5,116 posts, read 1,803,711 times
Usually the best work like this is from a friend of a friend type deal. This is how I get a ton of work on the side like this.

Geek squad is for people that have money to throw away.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,270,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
I would suggest not going to Geek Squad if possible. I work in IT and do all my IT work, but I have heard too many horror stories, plus out of curiosity I have looked at what they charge for some services!! I know there is a place around Monroe Road and I think it is eastway drive that is supposedly recommended by people on Angie's List (I have heard of this but not familiar). I don't know anyone that has gone there before but there also is ATD Computers I believe it is about a mile or two north on statesville road beyond wt harris. I know someone that has had some work done there and they were pleased.

That place on Monroe/Eastway is behind/next to Gus's restaurant, for a well known landmark. I don't know anything about that place but I've seen it there for years.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 PM

36 posts, read 92,692 times
Better question..... What Computer services would you like offered? And what would be considered fair cost for those services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte