U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,666,075 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity. Are there any negative implications of living in one state and workingin another. I thought I heard from one of my husband's co-workers who lives in SC that he winds up paying double taxes. He is salaried at a job in Charlotte but also does some consultation on his own in NC. SO maybe it is just on the extra income? Anyone out there have experience in this? This might be good info for those considering this kind of live/work arrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM

3,423 posts, read 9,227,117 times
You are taxed on where you work. In this case, he will have to provide witholding information for NC. Usually states have a reciprocal agreement between themselves, so I doubt there will be a second tax paid to SC, although I read it can happen.

I remember this topic coming up a lot when people were starting to work from home, and their home was in a different state than the local offices. What struck me as rough were those employees who were based in a Manhattan office but were working from home in NJ, CT, or outside of Manhattan. They were told that yes, they would continue to pay Federal, NY State, NY City, and Manhattan taxes just as if they were actual working on-site. And I hear the same goes for consultants if they do extended amounts of work on-site.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,874,650 times
I'm pretty sure I'll have to file with Illinois next year b/c my work office is in Illinois although I work from home in NC. My husband works in SC so the whole process gets interesting.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:20 PM

45 posts, read 93,512 times
When I lived in Pennsylvania and worked in New Jersey I paid Pennsylvania state tax and local tax to my town. I live in Charlotte now but I work for a company that is located in Ohio. I pay North Carolina state taxes.

However, if the company you work for does not have a tax ID number for the state you live in they will take the tax out for the state they're located in. You will have to file a tax return in both the state you live (and pay all of the tax you owe but have not paid) and in the state where you work (requesting a refund for all of the taxes you've paid to them.) At least that's how it worked in my case.

A good accountant will know the rules and can advise you how you should proceed.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM

913 posts, read 2,306,513 times
I lived in NC and worked in SC for about 9 months, before moving to SC permanently. The only tax ramification I saw was when filing state income taxes. I had to pay in a large amount to NC that year, but got an even larger (by a couple hundred dollars) SC refund.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM

841 posts, read 2,136,187 times
I live in SC and work in NC...and every year I end up paying SC taxes.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:13 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,666,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I live in SC and work in NC...and every year I end up paying SC taxes.

Yeah that's what my husband's co-worker says... If that holds true in all cases I'm not sure everyone realizes that when they advise people to consider Fort Mill and then commute to Charlotte. As an RE agent I think it might be worth confirming that with a CPA so I don't mess up a client at some point.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM

9,905 posts, read 9,276,008 times
I worked in NC and live in SC ... at tax time I filed on NC and then just filled out paperwork for SC along with a copy of my NC filing. I always had to pay NC tax but never SC since I didn't earn any money in SC. But SC gets their pound of flesh from property tax and vehicle tax.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,170 times
I live in sc and I am about to get a job in nc. What do I need to do to get started with my taxes so I won't have to worry about paying for both sc and nc. If anyone knows please tell me so I can get it done right before I consider the new job in nc.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 AM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times
I am pretty sure there isn't double taxation.

You file tax forms for both states. You pay to your state of residence and the state where you worked issues you a full credit for the taxes paid to the other state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte