Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 05:20 PM

406 posts, read 1,426,282 times

Advertisements

Quick question. This has been on my mind for a little while and soon will need to know. I will be relocating to Charlotte to attend UNCC. I have a question about In-State/Out-Of-State tuition. I know if I relocate and start school as soon as I get there, i'm gonna have to pay Out-Of-State tuition, but I was wondering, after the first year if I can show that I intend to stay a resident can I get In-State-Tuition that second year of scvhool?? Another question is can I be ANYWHERE in the Charlotte Metro EVEN if it is across the border in SC (Fort Mill to be exact) and still be counted as "In-State"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,990,660 times
Well I can't answer all your questions but I can tell you that living in SC will not get you In-State tuition at an NC State University including UNCC. Last I knew anything it required simple things like NCDL and NC tags on your car but I am not sure for what time period.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,007,935 times
From FAQ | Residency Determination Office | UNC Charlotte (http://resdetermination.uncc.edu/FAQs.htm#1 - broken link)

Quote:
1.How do I qualify for residency for in-state tuition status?

This benefit provided by the citizen taxpayers of North Carolina is afforded to residents of the State in anticipation of present and future benefit to the State. Under North Carolina law, to qualify for in-state tuition for a given term, you must prove that you established your legal residence in NC 12 months prior to the start of the term and you have maintained it for at least 12 continuous months and that you are here for a purpose other than school.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,322,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Quick question. This has been on my mind for a little while and soon will need to know. I will be relocating to Charlotte to attend UNCC. I have a question about In-State/Out-Of-State tuition. I know if I relocate and start school as soon as I get there, i'm gonna have to pay Out-Of-State tuition, but I was wondering, after the first year if I can show that I intend to stay a resident can I get In-State-Tuition that second year of scvhool?? Another question is can I be ANYWHERE in the Charlotte Metro EVEN if it is across the border in SC (Fort Mill to be exact) and still be counted as "In-State"?
I'm pretty sure after one year you can get in state residency, as long as you are self supporting.

Sorry, you must live IN NC to get in state tuition.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM

972 posts, read 2,434,326 times
As soon as you get here, get a driver's license and register your car. You will also need proof that you came for some reason other than to go to school, i.e. a job or you moved here with family. So, relocating to go to UNCC would not be accepted. Then, you wait for a year.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,320,062 times
This is a tricky wicket. Might be a quick question, but it really isn't a quick answer. From what I have learned, if you come here to attend college, you will not be able to qualify for in-state tuition. Otherwise, wouldn't you expect virtually every junior or senior who entered freshman year from out of state to qualify for in-state tuition? Well, they don't.

If you move to NC and took a year off school, maybe got a job and established yourself as a resident, then you might qualify for in-state tuition. Bear in mind that the school still might take the position that you moved to NC to attend school and the burden will be on you to prove otherwise.

We moved here as a family (with my 21 year old son), paid out of state tuition for 1 year, then qualified for instate tuition, but we all moved here. It is much more difficult for a student on his/her own to prove that.

NC recognizes that they have some very attractive state universities compared to many other states in both quality and price, so they don't make it easy to qualify for in-state tuition. Out of state tuition here at CC was about the same as in-County tuition in NJ.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,919,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
As soon as you get here, get a driver's license and register your car. You will also need proof that you came for some reason other than to go to school, i.e. a job or you moved here with family. So, relocating to go to UNCC would not be accepted. Then, you wait for a year.
Also, register to vote! And if you're moving here at the start of the fall semester try and get a job before the end up the year so that you can show that you've filled taxes in NC.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
From FAQ | Residency Determination Office | UNC Charlotte (http://resdetermination.uncc.edu/FAQs.htm#1 - broken link)
The site only says "you must prove that you established your legal residence in NC"... but is METRO Charlotte included? Even if that part of the metro area happens to be in SC? This is my dilemma.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
From what I gather from looking over the link you provided is that even though it is part of the Charlotte metro if it is in SC it wont be considered "In-State"

Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm pretty sure after one year you can get in state residency, as long as you are self supporting.

Sorry, you must live IN NC to get in state tuition.

Than either North-Northeast Charlotte or Concord is where i'm headed! Fort Mill just sort of intrigued me and I was hopeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte