Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Yea but what if you were in the Wisconsin "Metro Area
" and part of that area happened to go across state lines? It would be a hard call.
You do know that Wisconsin is a State, not a city. There is no Wisconsin metro area...

In-State means that you live IN THE STATE. It does not meant that you live within a close proximity to the state, you have to actually live in the state of North Carolina. I really don't know what the metro area has to do with anything, In state tuition is not decided upon by what city you live in, all they care about is the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You do know that Wisconsin is a State, not a city. There is no Wisconsin metro area...

In-State means that you live IN THE STATE. It does not meant that you live within a close proximity to the state, you have to actually live in the state of North Carolina. I really don't know what the metro area has to do with anything, In state tuition is not decided upon by what city you live in, all they care about is the state.
Very good point. Here I am thinking for some reason that since the city is in the 'Charlotte metro' they must give me IN-STATE tuition. (I guess I was just thinking that Charlotte is a NC city, why doesn't the metro count.). Now that you put it like this I beleive I understand. Doesnt matter if itt is part of the metro that is within the state or not if in fact it is NOT in the state because rather or not you are IN the state is ALL that matters!! Alrighty. I think I am pretty cleared up on this one.

My only other concern was if In fact I DO stay WITHIN the state for the year while attending college. As long as I prove I have intent to stay in the state and i'm just not their for school I will be able to get IN-STATE TUITION that next year?? (I already know I wont get it the first year). But does the time i'm in the state while i'm attending that first year count torward my second...

Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
A few things:

1. You should change your handle to Iwant2know,yall
2. SC is not NC. Whether or not it is part of the "Charlotte Metro" is irrelevant.
3. Did you even bother reading the link DaddySpice provided on page 1. It is pretty clear about what you must do.
4. I hope you pay out of state tuition. In state tuition is reserved for tax paying citizens of NC who don't move here just for the purpose of attending school. As a NC taxpayer I'm a little peeved about the idea of subsidizing college for a student who doesn't even bother doing basic research and thinks Fort Mill is "close enough" to qualify as in-state.
5. Please tell me they didn't accept you to the engineering school...
What he said. + "Please tell me they didn't accept you to the engineering school" or the College of Nursing or Education, if you were accepted at all.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 PM

406 posts, read 1,431,053 times
ONCE AGAIN. ASSUMING I AM 'WITHIN' THE STATE OF NC and I have ALL INTENTION to stay in the state not just for school but permanently, does ANYBODY KNOW if I would be charged IN-STATE OR OUT-OF-STATE my second year if I can prove that I am here to stay!!!?? Any seriouse reply will be greatly appreciated and anyone else with nothing but hateful remarks to make, will just be brushed off as ignorance on your behalf.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,003,805 times
OK so I am not justifying people insulting or being rude but... I think the frustration is two-fold. First as an adult who is evidently going to college we would expect you understand the "in-state" tuition would be designated to people who live "in-state". UNCC is in North Carolina and Fort Mill is in South Carolina. Also the reason for "in-state" tuition being so low for our residents is because the parents of college aged kids have typically been paying income taxes in the state of NC for give or take a few years. Therefore those families have earned lower tuition by having paid to fund our state government and all they provide. In addition we do see a lot of out of state people come here and worm their way into paying the lower tuition that have not truly earned. I hope this CALM explanation helps you understand better why you may have ruffled a few feathers.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
ONCE AGAIN. ASSUMING I AM 'WITHIN' THE STATE OF NC and I have ALL INTENTION to stay in the state not just for school but permanently, does ANYBODY KNOW if I would be charged IN-STATE OR OUT-OF-STATE my second year if I can prove that I am here to stay!!!?? Any seriouse reply will be greatly appreciated and anyone else with nothing but hateful remarks to make, will just be brushed off as ignorance on your behalf.
To answer your direct question. NC asks that you prove you moved here for a reason other than to go to school. So you will have to explain why you came here and prove it. For instance did a company offer you a job? If so you will need to show UNCC the letter of the job offer dated before you applied & registered for school. I would assume finding a job waiting tables or something in retail after applying for school would not be good enough. Getting in state tuition is not an exact science. They look at the info you provide and decide on a case by case basis. I went to UNCC and know of people who's parents bought them a house they rented out to cover the mortgage just to get their daughter in state tuition. If you buy a home that would probably go a long way to getting in state tuition.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
My only reply to your ignorance is that I have ALL INTENTION of being a NC TAX PAYING CITIZEN!! if you can read!! you would see that I am NOT going JUST for college but I intend to RELOCATE!!
Ok so another clarification. Any student who comes here and works while in school is a NC tax paying citizen. In state tuition is more about what you have done prior to enrolling to have earned the lower tuition than what you will do after. You may still get to switch from one to the other but there are no guarantees that they will approve your request. It would be wise to prepare yourself to pay the out of state tuition so you can finish your degree regardless of the out come.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
This is a replay of your fireworks thread. You ask the question(s), people answer, but it isn't what you want to hear, so you keep asking.

You have already been told, & now accept, that living in SC doesn't qualify for instate tuition in NC.

You have also been told that the one sure-fire way to get instate tuition is to get a job & move here. After one year, you qualify. However, you keep saying that you don't like that answer & keep reasking.

We don't get paid to answer questions. We do this voluntarily. As you were told in the fireworks thread, reasking means you doubt that we're telling you the truth. That's when people get frustrated with you. Yelling at us doesn't make us read any better.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
To answer your direct question. NC asks that you prove you moved here for a reason other than to go to school. So you will have to explain why you came here and prove it. For instance did a company offer you a job? If so you will need to show UNCC the letter of the job offer dated before you applied & registered for school. I would assume finding a job waiting tables or something in retail after applying for school would not be good enough. Getting in state tuition is not an exact science. They look at the info you provide and decide on a case by case basis. I went to UNCC and know of people who's parents bought them a house they rented out to cover the mortgage just to get their daughter in state tuition. If you buy a home that would probably go a long way to getting in state tuition.
This is the answer the OP needs to read.

When filling out the form to change your residency statues, there is a question that asks you exactly why you moved to North Carolina. You need to be able to provide a good solid reason as to why you moved here, and it can't just be because you wanted to go to school at UNCC. Even if you are planning on getting a job, and "relocating" here, you will need to tell them your reason for moving here in order to get in state tuition during your second year, a reason other then going to school.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
moderator note http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u158/joglynne/Christmas/santa_smiley.gif (broken link)

this posters sums it up best stop the flaming please

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is a replay of your fireworks thread. You ask the question(s), people answer, but it isn't what you want to hear, so you keep asking.

You have already been told, & now accept, that living in SC doesn't qualify for instate tuition in NC.

You have also been told that the one sure-fire way to get instate tuition is to get a job & move here. After one year, you qualify. However, you keep saying that you don't like that answer & keep reasking.

We don't get paid to answer questions. We do this voluntarily. As you were told in the fireworks thread, reasking means you doubt that we're telling you the truth. That's when people get frustrated with you. Yelling at us doesn't make us read any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte