U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM

364 posts, read 1,042,489 times

Advertisements

Joy333, I have heard that some "myth" over and over. There was an article on yahoo the other week about the myth off that statement and it does save to turn it down while out/sleeping/etc! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,850,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
Wow JP, I never thought you a person of so few words...but 67 because youre comfortable, or 67 because its more economical? At 67, does your unit have to keep turning on and off, burning more power? Because if it does, then mine is already doing that at 65, so I might as well increase the temp by 2 and feel a little warmer (maybe remove a layer of clothes too!)
Its the perfect temp..for economics I'd go less but the wife and son won't go for that. Its weird 68 is too hot upstairs...66 too cold downstairs...so 67 it is. Every year 4th year running. I think a heater working properly should go off then on as needed. It should never be working all the time.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
I'm the only person in my home except for occasional guests. I read on a frugal forum about "heating the human" rather than heating the entire home. With that in mind I keep the t-stat around 60 in the winter. I don't occupy more than a few rooms in my home, so there's no point in keeping seldom used rooms warm, but closing off the vents on those rooms isn't a good idea, so I've been told. I'm..........well insulated.......so with lounge pants and maybe a long sleeve shirt I'm comfortable at home. Gotta have socks too. I sleep better when it's cool, partially because I like to bury myself under the blankets.

Normally my gas bill goes from the low $20's to over $100 for the coldest months. I want to see what happens this year, with the lower heat setting.

I do turn up the heat if people are coming over. Not everyone shares my appreciation for being cool.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 PM

358 posts, read 473,299 times
I know at our house we usually turn down the temp at night before we go to bed usually about 3-5 degrees. It depends because sometimes one temp feels decent and others it feels cold. I know if we are cold we may turn the heat to around 65-68 depending. When we are not around I typically try to drop it down to like 61-64 depending when we will be back.

I kind of wonder how much $ is saved say if you usually keep the temp like 68 as comfy, but turn it down say 5 or 8 degrees for 8-10 hours (overnight or while at work). But then have to turn it back to 68 when you get home. In otherwards if you leave the temp level vs cut the temp back (for a # of hours), turn it back up and the system needs to heat harder to bring it back up rather than having been keeping it level all day.

Last night we ran our gas logs fireplace while decorating the tree for about 2 hours (during which we turned the house temp down about 4 degrees). I don't know how much the vented gas logs will hit the wallet though (but I've usually heard they are expensive and inefficient). But they are nice and less work than a real fireplace.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Programmable thermostats allow for automated temp adjustments based on the time of day. They can be programmed for a variety of settings which allow for weekends and longer time away.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
I know at our house we usually turn down the temp at night before we go to bed usually about 3-5 degrees. It depends because sometimes one temp feels decent and others it feels cold. I know if we are cold we may turn the heat to around 65-68 depending. When we are not around I typically try to drop it down to like 61-64 depending when we will be back.

I kind of wonder how much $ is saved say if you usually keep the temp like 68 as comfy, but turn it down say 5 or 8 degrees for 8-10 hours (overnight or while at work). But then have to turn it back to 68 when you get home. In otherwards if you leave the temp level vs cut the temp back (for a # of hours), turn it back up and the system needs to heat harder to bring it back up rather than having been keeping it level all day.

Last night we ran our gas logs fireplace while decorating the tree for about 2 hours (during which we turned the house temp down about 4 degrees). I don't know how much the vented gas logs will hit the wallet though (but I've usually heard they are expensive and inefficient). But they are nice and less work than a real fireplace.
One thing I've noticed is that although the room air temp can come back up fairly quickly, the walls, furniture, and other furnishings don't heat up nearly as quickly. So the air cools off more quickly than if the t-stat temp had been left at the same temp. In that situation the furnace cycles more often until the walls heat up to the higher setting.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 PM

358 posts, read 473,299 times
Yes, I have noticed the same thing. Good point about the programmable thermostat. We have one; which reminds me I need to set it...

We have a couple electric space heaters that I have used in the past at apartments to warm up say one room a little more for a period of time. They are convenient when you want to keep the whole temp down and just warm up a room a bit. I've wondered how good the electric fake fireplace space heaters are (or those highly advertized Amish fireplaces)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
One thing I've noticed is that although the room air temp can come back up fairly quickly, the walls, furniture, and other furnishings don't heat up nearly as quickly. So the air cools off more quickly than if the t-stat temp had been left at the same temp. In that situation the furnace cycles more often until the walls heat up to the higher setting.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
Yes, I have noticed the same thing. Good point about the programmable thermostat. We have one; which reminds me I need to set it...

We have a couple electric space heaters that I have used in the past at apartments to warm up say one room a little more for a period of time. They are convenient when you want to keep the whole temp down and just warm up a room a bit. I've wondered how good the electric fake fireplace space heaters are (or those highly advertised Amish fireplaces)?
I have a buddy who put one of those fireplace deals in his previous home. He told me his electric bill skyrocketed after that. Could be a lot of reasons for that, including, but not limited to, his not-too-bright (now-ex) wife not using it properly.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,639,298 times
The trick I use is a programmable thermostat that has four time slots. I program all of them to 58 degrees. I then turn the heat up to 68 when I'm home. It automatically resets to 58 so I don't have to remember to dial it down when I leave.

As has been noted, heat rises so sleeping upstairs helps. I use an electric, portable De'Longhi Oil Filled Radiator in the bedroom. It is a gentle, quiet slow heating device that doesn't seem to dry the air as much as other types.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The trick I use is a programmable thermostat that has four time slots. I program all of them to 58 degrees. I then turn the heat up to 68 when I'm home. It automatically resets to 58 so I don't have to remember to dial it down when I leave.
Psst...the point of the programmable t-stat is that you can set it to be at different temps in those time slots. It's not really a trick. It's what they're designed to do and that's why people buy them.

Set it, and forget it. (Sorry, Ron Popeil)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte