Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:58 PM

308 posts, read 617,860 times

Advertisements

I keep my heat on 66 all the time. My son just moved here from London. He keeps his around 62. He is used to poor English heating anyway. I feel peppier if it is cooler. Besides, I have a snuggie or two around the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,069 times
65 downstairs when we are home then 62 when we are not home or are asleep. 62 upstairs when we are home but not up there then 65 when we are sleeping. We usually have some sort of pajama bottoms on and a sweater. If we get too cold we'll put on a blanket.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 AM

747 posts, read 2,105,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
65 downstairs when we are home then 62 when we are not home or are asleep. 62 upstairs when we are home but not up there then 65 when we are sleeping. We usually have some sort of pajama bottoms on and a sweater. If we get too cold we'll put on a blanket.
Exactly the same we are doing, thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:28 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Well we have propane gas furnace and water heater (tankless)
We also have a wood burning cast iron stove-older so not as efficient, doesn't have a fan

When we didn't have the stove burning over the last cold spell I had the thermostat set on 69 when in the house and sitting still, 66 if doing house work and 63 at night when in bed.

Now we have the stove on, the central heat is off, except for first thing in the morning when I turn it on to warm up our bedroom, which is furthest away from the stove, but on the same level.
I have the vents in the living/dining/kitchen and bed 2 and 3 closed, so central heat goes to the coolest rooms.
In the morning we put a log on and turn the damper onto max and within 15 mins temp is back up to 70.

There is an overall more even warmth in the house with the stove rather than the ducted air- which I hate.The walls definitely warm up
Much prefer radiant heat and my choice would be an underfloor wet system.
The stove keeps the house around 70 on a day like today, but yesterday it was a little warm at 75, so didn't have it burning hard.

At night we turn the damper down to min', throw on 2 or 3 big logs and it keeps the house at around 65 overnight, except in our bedroom which will be about 62.

We let it go out every 5 th day to clean it out.

Last year ir burned non-stop for 3 and a half months and we used $120 of logs.
Our LPG bill for the year is $1000.

If the stove had a fan and a fire brick lining like the newer ones it would be more efficient, plus it appears that I can't put our ceiling fans on in reverse to get the heat down out of the volume ceilings!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,843 times
Wow...I would FREEZE in all of your houses!!..I keep mine at 73 and I still get cold!

I have a dual zone also and I keep downstairs at 64 when we're at work and I turn the upstairs off. When we all get home, we turn the downstairs up to 70 and before bed, we turn upstairs on to 72 or 73. I like to wake up to a toasty house. I can't stand to be at home in sweats, sweaters, scarves and hats.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,688 times
I have it on 68/69 during the day when I'm home and 65/66 at night. The main reason is because if I don't, the upstairs turns into a sauna at night.

There is no "correct" setting - it's all a matter of what you are comfortable with and how good the insulation and heating is in your place.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
I keep ours at 66/67 during the day, and 62 at night. I, too, am a little worried about gas bills this year; I'm in a very old house with little to no insulation and leaky windows.

I used to keep the heat up higher, but after a few years of barely making ends meet to pay the gas bill, I learned to "heat the human" as vmaxnc put it so well.

I bought the plastic insulation to put on the windows, but I don't have a ladder, and even if I did, I'd be a little afraid to climb up there myself. Need to just bite the bullet and do it soon, though... and I'm really wishing I had done it back when the weekends were still nice!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times
How much gas is normal for usage? We had TNT come and put another 100 gallons in our tank, and we were at 45%. When looked the following day, we were at 40%. In 1 day. We did the math and figured at that rate, we'll be filling 100 gallons every two weeks!! We love that we have gas heating because our electric bill is super low. We looked into space heaters but all reviews said it just makes your electric bill go sky high. Do you think we have a leak or is this normal? We have central AC but heating is through gas. We have been turning the temp cooler when we are away from the house and only on when we are home.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:35 PM

299 posts, read 590,189 times
You guys are making me feel bad. I don't mind being cold when I'm outside, but INSIDE I'm not happy unless the thermostat is set to at least 72*. 73* is my ideal though. And, I'll still be in a sweater and fluffy slippers.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
How much gas is normal for usage? We had TNT come and put another 100 gallons in our tank, and we were at 45%. When looked the following day, we were at 40%. In 1 day. We did the math and figured at that rate, we'll be filling 100 gallons every two weeks!! We love that we have gas heating because our electric bill is super low. We looked into space heaters but all reviews said it just makes your electric bill go sky high. Do you think we have a leak or is this normal? We have central AC but heating is through gas. We have been turning the temp cooler when we are away from the house and only on when we are home.
I think most posters here have piped natural gas.
We had our propane tank filled up to 70% at the beginning of October.
We only just started using the w/b stove this weekend so before that we were heating solely with propane, plus we use it for hot water.
It's now down to 50%.
Hence why we have the w/b stove.

Our home is only 1800 sq ft and is fairly well insulated and not draughty.
We would have thermostat set on 70 when in the house and 63 at night and if we're out.

I don't work so am in a lot during the day, especially now it's colder.

I think if we didn't have the stove we would probably use about 100 to 150 gallons a month over the coldest months of December, Jan and Feb' ie 20%.

We have an oil filled electric space heater that we us in our bedroom.It's on now most of the day, just set on low to keep the room a little over 65 maybe. We used it in the same way last year and our electric bills were around $45 per month compared to $35 when we aren't using it and don't have the AC on.

I don't know how natural gas compares to propane.
Someone else might be able to help with that.

BTW- WE HAD PROPANE DELIVERED IN FEBRUARY AND HAD TO PAY $3.50 ish per gallon, compared to $2.60 in the October before.
That's why we filled it to 70% this October.

I don't think you could possibly use that much propane in 1 day.
I would get them out to check the tank etc.

How much you use will depend on the efficiency/age of your furnace.
Have you had the furnace serviced?

Ours is older and probably only 60% efficient.
The newer ones are over 90% and we had a quote of $1800 to supply and install one.

Other thing is to get a W/B stove.
Would hate to be without ours now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte