Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 03:55 PM

53 posts, read 228,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
MDgirl, where will you be working - what part of town I mean?
No idea yet. Looking for jobs in HR since that's what I currently do, but I'm having a really tough time. It looks like it might come down to moving to Charlotte and living off savings until I can find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 03:59 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,359,070 times
MD, we have an opening right now for an HR trainer for one of our subsidiaries. PM me if interested.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM

396 posts, read 1,429,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I just think people tend to "feel" less safe, no matter WHERE they live, once they are a victim of crime or know someone personally who was.
THAT'S a very good point! I agree with you.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 PM

249 posts, read 871,387 times
I live in steel creek (berewick) and am very happy. Please do not judge the area by the words of someone who lived right on tryon... there are definitely bad spots along tryon but that IMO is barely steel creek (i dont know the official boundaries). It certainly is not the 'burbs of steel creek.

There was a post the other day claiming alot of crime (weekend robberies) in Steel creek but as it turns out there was only one robbery and that was right on tryon (a business i believe? not sure).

Old 07-13-2007, 09:03 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,243,321 times
Steele Creek is a very large area of Southwestern Mecklenburg County - about 47 square miles.

Don't be concerned about crime alarmists. Crime isn't any worse in Steele Creek than other areas. I live in Upper Steele Creek and don't have a problem. A police officer who lives nearby said he wouldn't be living there if he didn't feel it was safe for his family.

I was beat up and robbed in downtown Chattanooga a couple of months ago, but an article in the latest Southern Living talks about how safe downtown Chattanoog is! I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here's a map showing the location and boundaries of Steele Creek:

Steele Creek Association

Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,359,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
I live in steel creek (berewick) and am very happy. Please do not judge the area by the words of someone who lived right on tryon... there are definitely bad spots along tryon but that IMO is barely steel creek (i dont know the official boundaries). It certainly is not the 'burbs of steel creek.

There was a post the other day claiming alot of crime (weekend robberies) in Steel creek but as it turns out there was only one robbery and that was right on tryon (a business i believe? not sure).
Steele Creek does not have a definite geography. Most people would say between NC 49 and the airport going east and westn and the NC/SC state line up to 485. However, the Steele Creek division of CMPD is past the boundary and most people would consider Beam Rd/Shopton Rd Steele Creek but would not be so quick to claim Nations Ford, though it is only a 1/2 mile away.

Crimes reported 7/12/07:

02:37
Steele Creek Division
Old Canal Financial Road
Female reported that she was sexually assaulted.

21:29
Steele Creek Division
512 Edgegreen Drive
Officers responded to Presbyterian Hospital in reference to a gunshot victim with NLT injuries.

Crimes reported 7/8/07:

23:08
Steele Creek Division
110 Hilary Cir.The victim was robbed at gunpoint by (2) B/M's who fled the scene on foot.

Crimes reported 7/7/07

00:16
Steele Creek Division
10100 S Tryon Street
Victim in this case advises the was robbed by 2 W/M's. Officers located the suspects and transported to the Robbery Division.

Crimes reported 7/5:

Steele Creek Division
8124 S. Tryon Street
2 BM's, 1 wearing a red bandana and 1 wearing a black ski mask, boh armed with guns robbed the Bellacino's restaurant. The suspects were last scene leaving the building on foot.

All taken from Crime in Charlotte * Message Board - Charlotte Crime Blotter and is not an all-inclusive list.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:29 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,243,321 times
Steele Creek generally is south of the airport and west of I-77.

The Steele Creek Division of CMPD does extend over to Nations Ford Road, which is not considered part of Steele Creek. The Steele Creek Division didn't extend its boundaries over that way because it believed it was part of Steele Creek; it defined its boundaries first and then picked the name "Steele Creek." The division actually went all the way up to I-85 before the recent patrol division realignment. The Nations Ford/Arrowood intersection is high crime, as I've heard Captain Anselmo state. Home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Patrol+Divisions/Steele+Creek+Division/Home.htm - broken link)

Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,302,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Steele Creek does not have a definite geography. Most people would say between NC 49 and the airport going east and westn and the NC/SC state line up to 485. However, the Steele Creek division of CMPD is past the boundary and most people would consider Beam Rd/Shopton Rd Steele Creek but would not be so quick to claim Nations Ford, though it is only a 1/2 mile away.

Crimes reported 7/12/07:

Steele Creek Division
Old Canal Financial Road

Steele Creek Division
512 Edgegreen Drive
Officers responded to Presbyterian Hospital in reference to a gunshot victim with NLT injuries.

Crimes reported 7/8/07:

Steele Creek Division
110 Hilary Cir.The victim was robbed at gunpoint by (2) B/M's who fled the scene on foot.

Crimes reported 7/7/07

Steele Creek Division
10100 S Tryon Street
Victim in this case advises the was robbed by 2 W/M's. Officers located the suspects and transported to the Robbery Division.

Crimes reported 7/5:

Steele Creek Division
8124 S. Tryon Street
2 BM's, 1 wearing a red bandana and 1 wearing a black ski mask, boh armed with guns robbed the Bellacino's restaurant. The suspects were last scene leaving the building on foot.

All taken from Crime in Charlotte * Message Board - Charlotte Crime Blotter and is not an all-inclusive list.
Groove, enough already, for Pete's sake! We get it - YOU don't like Steele Creek and because of that you take every opportunity to talk it down. However, you are only making yourself look bad at this point. The map that NCDave provided a link to is an accurate map of the Steele Creek boundries - whatever the boundries are in your own head need to just stay there, as those are the inaccurate ones. For anyone reading this that is unsure who to believe anymore, I would suggest you try listening to the opinions of the people who actually live in Steele Creek. Groove does not live there and never has. The people on this forum who do live there have stated over and over that they like where they live and feel safe.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:08 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,419,041 times
Quote:
For anyone reading this that is unsure who to believe anymore, I would suggest you try listening to the opinions of the people who actually live in Steele Creek. Groove does not live there and never has. The people on this forum who do live there have stated over and over that they like where they live and feel safe.
I live in Steele Creek and it is a great area. I don't think anyone is claiming that it is crime free. Unfortunately innocent people can become crime victims. Often "feeling safe" is subjective. There may be an area where I do not feel safe (and there may be good reasons not to) but others will have no problem living there; They may love it. I respect that choice - it's what works for them.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:18 PM

295 posts, read 1,057,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post

Crimes reported 7/12/07:

Steele Creek Division
Old Canal Financial Road

Steele Creek Division
512 Edgegreen Drive

Crimes reported 7/8/07:

Steele Creek Division

Crimes reported 7/7/07

Steele Creek Division
10100 S Tryon Street

Crimes reported 7/5:

Steele Creek Division
8124 S. Tryon Street

W0W!, I'm glad I didn't buy in that area..
But, I noticed that some of those arrests are north of Steele Creek. I think everyone is talking about the area near the new shopping center.

Last edited by Gosox05; 07-13-2007 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: new info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte