U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 PM
 
53 posts, read 208,725 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

As I've mentioned, I'm trying to move to Charlotta pretty soon. I was contacted by a girl who has a townhouse in Steele Creek. She said the area was new with a lot of young people.. any other input from anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Reputation: 39860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgirlMovingSouth View Post
As I've mentioned, I'm trying to move to Charlotta pretty soon. I was contacted by a girl who has a townhouse in Steele Creek. She said the area was new with a lot of young people.. any other input from anybody?
Do you have any neighborhoods in particular in mind you want us to tell you about? There is quite a bit of growth going on in Steele Creek right now - much new retail ect... I like the area personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,787,479 times
Reputation: 1008
You will get differing opinions. I used to live very close to there and I peronally think there is too much crime too close by and too much in the area. My friend had a townhome there too and her car was stoeln from her driveway, a stolen car was found down the street, and her nieghbor's townhome was broken into. She moved about 45 mins away from there. People will try to defend the area, but facts are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
 
53 posts, read 208,725 times
Reputation: 25
She did not mention a neighborhood name, just Steele Creek. However, her townhouse is being built right now so I would assume it's a fairly new neighborhood. Other than that, all I know is 10 miles from downtown and all the way down S. Tyron St.- which means nothing to me.

And OK, I realize this is a really stupid question.. are uptown and downtown the same thing? Because I got the impression that uptown has the bars/restaurants, but to me that's considered a downtown area..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
3,662 posts, read 8,681,368 times
Reputation: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgirlMovingSouth View Post

And OK, I realize this is a really stupid question.. are uptown and downtown the same thing? Because I got the impression that uptown has the bars/restaurants, but to me that's considered a downtown area..?
Ah yes, one of Charlotte's identity crises. It used to be called downtown, but city officials wanted a new appeal and changed it to "uptown."

I still say both, but they are the same.

Among these, go ahead and get used to Providence Road and Providence Road intersection, and all the different roads that have "Sharon" in the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Reputation: 39860
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
You will get differing opinions. I used to live very close to there and I peronally think there is too much crime too close by and too much in the area. My friend had a townhome there too and her car was stoeln from her driveway, a stolen car was found down the street, and her nieghbor's townhome was broken into. She moved about 45 mins away from there. People will try to defend the area, but facts are facts.
Would you please tell me what street or what major road you lived off of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:23 PM
 
53 posts, read 208,725 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Ah yes, one of Charlotte's identity crises. It used to be called downtown, but city officials wanted a new appeal and changed it to "uptown."

I still say both, but they are the same.

Among these, go ahead and get used to Providence Road and Providence Road intersection, and all the different roads that have "Sharon" in the name.
THANK YOU for clearing that up for me. I've spent the past week reading posts trying to decide if they were the same thing or was I missing something.

And I've already accepted that I will get completely confused in a new area.. directions are definitely not my strong suit. Mapquest will be my best friend for the first few months I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Reputation: 39860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgirlMovingSouth View Post
THANK YOU for clearing that up for me. I've spent the past week reading posts trying to decide if they were the same thing or was I missing something.

And I've already accepted that I will get completely confused in a new area.. directions are definitely not my strong suit. Mapquest will be my best friend for the first few months I'm sure.
MDgirl, where will you be working - what part of town I mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,787,479 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Would you please tell me what street or what major road you lived off of?

I myself lived on Tyvola near S. Tryon (I said I lived very close to Steele Creek, not technically in it). However, my friend's townhome was definitely in Steele Creek off of S. Tryon Between Moss and Hwy 160.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Reputation: 39860
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I myself lived on Tyvola near S. Tryon (I said I lived very close to Steele Creek, not technically in it). However, my friend's townhome was definitely in Steele Creek off of S. Tryon Between Moss and Hwy 160.
Well, at least we can state for the record you did NOT live in Steele Creek, and frankly I would not have lived there either - I can understand why you moved.

Unfortunately car thefs or breakins occur in ALL areas of the city. Myers Park, for instance - one of THE most desirable places to live in all the city, has had a rash of breakins in the past. I highly doubt many people would let that stop them from living in Myers Park if they were given half a chance (most of us can't afford those homes). I am sorry for what happened to your friend, but no one is immune to crime in a big city. Steele Creek is just as safe as other nice areas of the city. I just think people tend to "feel" less safe, no matter WHERE they live, once they are a victim of crime or know someone personally who was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top