Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 01:54 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,900 times

Advertisements

LOL, well, i was thinking that a "Snow" or "ice" day would be great. But i was 1/2 kidding about relying on my AWD to get me anywhere safely. I have no false notions about how dangerous driving on ice is. Plus, my daughters school would probably be closed, so that means i'm shut down for the day too. But the other half of me was appreciating how lucky i am to have a job so quickly here, and dont want to blow my chances of keeping it. Being that I live wayyyyy out in the sticks, i dont see any asssitance from the county coming out to the small roads I have to drive. Ok, you all talked me into it, ill just enjoy my time home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Being that I live wayyyyy out in the sticks, i dont see any asssitance from the county coming out to the small roads I have to drive. Ok, you all talked me into it, ill just enjoy my time home
Unless you live on the highway, the county isn't going to be clearing any roads no matter where you live. Last winter I was living near Concord Mills and our roads were never plowed or salted. It seemed like forever until everything melted away and we didn't have to worry about black ice every night.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:04 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
As a lifelong midwesterner, I'm not concerned about my ability to drive in ice or snow. It's y'all I'm worried about.

I've learned that even a very light icing will make my driving the absolute worst. I will call into work sick and cancel plans if it ices or snows even just a little. I'ev crashed 2 cars already in ice and I'd die if anything happened to my Cherry Red Grand Am.

I was complaining today about black ice being on the road. Went to Kmart and stocked up on some BBQ chips & 3 bottles of soda after hearing about it icing and such. Bring on the winter weather, I'm prepared.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Being that I live wayyyyy out in the sticks, i dont see any asssitance from the county coming out to the small roads I have to drive. Ok, you all talked me into it, ill just enjoy my time home
Your neighbors are your best assets.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,358,870 times
Quote:
As a lifelong midwesterner, I'm not concerned about my ability to drive in ice or snow. It's y'all I'm worried about.
In Illinois they actually plow and salt the vast majority of the roads, albeit maybe a bit later than the major roads. So whatever icy roads you and I have navigated in the Midwest are nowhere near what icy roads are here.

Agree with you on the everyone else b/c simply you don't know what level of skill or stupidity is on the road (nothing against anyone in particular here!). I've seen some pretty ridiculous driving during blizzards.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I spent most of my childhood in Michigan & my parents were middle-aged when we moved to the MidAtlantic. I can still remember the shocked look on their faces after we had our first ice-storm. These storms are not ice on snow, which gives you some traction. The end result of these storms are roads that are skating rinks.

The real danger on the roads is not the locals, it's the people from more northern climates who think that they can drive on the roads.

Where I used to live, I've seen more that one car with northern plates pass us local drivers creeping down the road, only to see that same car skidded off the road a little further down the road.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
I don't care who 'ya are........while snow may be passable, no one can drive on ice and is arrogant to think so.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I don't care who 'ya are........while snow may be passable, no one can drive on ice and is arrogant to think so.
This is the truth. Usually an ice storm in Philly or South Jersey results in a state of emergency & people are not allowed on the roads. Will an ice storm here result in a state of emergency?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is the truth. Usually an ice storm in Philly or South Jersey results in a state of emergency & people are not allowed on the roads. Will an ice storm here result in a state of emergency?

Heck no.......and as subtle as it can be, they will tell people......."please stay home". But people have the super power mentality.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Heck no.......and as subtle as it can be, they will tell people......."please stay home". But people have the super power mentality.
It used to be like that in the Philly area.

I remember staying home from school for an inch of snow. However things changed about 15 or 20 years ago & new management started trying to require people to go to work when it was clearly dangerous, so the governors stepped in. That's probably coming here.

It's common, there, for people in jobs that require attendance to pack a bag & go to work & sleep in offices. I've done that many times. Some businesses will even book hotel rooms & shuttle employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte