Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,802,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
What hail storm?
Exactly. I got one of those fliers saying they saw hail damage on my roof, yet we didn't get any hail in my area and hadn't been affected by any storm in the recent past when the flier was left in my newspaper tube.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,979,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Exactly. I got one of those fliers saying they saw hail damage on my roof, yet we didn't get any hail in my area and hadn't been affected by any storm in the recent past when the flier was left in my newspaper tube.
It's usually a scam

Old 12-17-2010, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 15,876 times
What makes it a scam? Someone has hail damage and they get a new roof. Who loses or where does the word scam come into the picture?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,979,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_NC View Post
What makes it a scam? Someone has hail damage and they get a new roof. Who loses or where does the word scam come into the picture?
Inside Insurance: Beware of hail damage scams

The National Insurance Crime Bureau reported in late April that roof repair scams involving hailstorm damage increased 407 percent nationwide between the first quarter of 2008 and the first quarter of this year. The homeowner is duped into believing that the roofer will help him get a new roof from the insurer.

This is how it usually starts.

A doorknob hanger tells the homeowner that recent catastrophic hail and windstorms struck the area and the home may have severe damage from the storms.

The hanger goes on to report “insurance companies are compensating.” Also, “most homeowners are unaware of the storm damage on their roof.”

Here’s the kicker: The roofer or construction company offers a “free roof inspection and property inspection for storm damage and insurance compensation.” There’s a toll-free number to call “today for your free roof inspection.”

Some things to consider:

• Watch out for any company using door-to-door bell-ringers or leaving a hanger on the front door. That’s a strong indicator of an insurance scam in the making.

• Know how large the hailstones are such as “pea-sized” or “quarter-sized.” The National Weather Service spotters or your neighbors are a good source if you don’t know. Smaller hail, less than one-half inch in diameter typically does not cause roof damage. It usually takes at least an inch and a quarter diameter hailstorm to cause damage and up to ping-pong size or larger to cause serious damage.

• Look around your property before climbing on your roof. Is there hail damage to vehicles, the air conditioner, the siding on your home or are plants damaged? If there is no collateral damage around your property, there is a strong likelihood that there may be no serious roof damage either.

The homeowner should be aware of which way the storm was moving, too. Many of the homes in Georgia are not built with a flat roof. Rather, they have various angles or “pitches” which means if there is any damage from hail, it is likely that the angles of the roof facing the storm would be more prone to damage, not the other side.

• The word of an individual who is attempting to obtain your business should not be the only deciding factor whether there is serious enough damage to justify a roof replacement.

This may be obvious but watch out. Hail damage is very random. Damage to a roof that has patterns not entirely random may be man-made. Unscrupulous repair schemes include the use of a teaspoon, small rocks or bal-peen hammers. This type of phony damage can appear on the siding of a home as well as on the roof.

• Hail damage does not always require an entire new roof.

The roof scam puts emphasis on how the homeowner gets a new roof paid for by the insurance company. These scammers damage the reputation of honest roofers and construction companies, dupe homeowner who have no way to fairly judge the amount of real damage or even if real damage actually occurred.

To view pictures of phony damage and other helpful information, go to Georgia Insurance Information Service Home Page and click on “Roof Scams.”

Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,733 times
I actually had water stains in my ceiling. I had one of those companies from Atlanta knock on the door. I let them up. They said hail damage. I called my insurance company and he said they would pay to replace it but I should use a local roofer because the warranty is worthless when the stormchasers as he said leave. I used Queen City Roofing. They were local and did a good job. I would suggest that you ask your adjuster if the company you are thinking about using is good. They know most of the roofers it sounds like.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,108 times
Talking Google "Insurance Company Lawsuits"

If you are going to let your insurance company determine if you have damage that THEY owe for then save time and let the IRS do your taxes

I agree with most of the information posted by flyingscotsman, but not all. Yes there are a LOT of bad contractors unfortunately; I see it all the time. Storm Chasers and their famous "tail-gate" warranties.

Tony_NC, you are very right about people using the word "scam." Most people do not grasp what their insurance policy ACTUALLY covers and your insurance giving you money for damage that you haven't seen yourself does seem to good to be true.

I hardly think people would say the same thing about a tornado damaging you property. This is just a fear of what we don't understand.

Just because it hails at your home, or on your home, does not mean that it is damaged. Hail can damage a brand new roof, but this is VERY rare. If your home is 10+ years old now then you are definitely a good candidate for damage. Even more so since 99% of new construction roofing is done with nail guns!

REMEMBER: NAIL GUNS = BAD

They are inaccurate, then tend to go too far into your shingle or not enough causing them to sustain damage faster and you will generally end up with shingles damaged by TOO MANY nails. They don't care, because it's a pull of the trigger; just a few seconds and they've shot nails everywhere! All these issues VOID the shingle warranty FYI. Hammers take longer, make the roofers work harder and will keep your shingles in good shape until they age naturally. This way your 30 year roof will last 30 years!

If you are looking for some expert advise on these topics from people other than the insurance companies, save yourself a world of headaches and visit these two sites and spend 5 minutes browsing. -Trust me

Property Insurance Coverage Law Blog : Florida Insurance Lawyer & Attorney : Merlin Law Group Law Firm : Tampa, Houston, Coral Gables, Gulfport
FBIC Ranks Insurers Payment Of Claims Records And Bad Faith Practices
National Insurance Law Forum : Insurance Litigation Lawyer & Attorney : National Insurance Law Forum : Insurance Coverage, Bad Faith Litigation

I'm done rambling folks This is how I make a living so I have a passion for this. I've seen homeowners lose everything more than once because of Bad Faith Insurance companies.

"Don't ask the person who owes you money to keep track of the amount."

I'm here if anyone has questions about my industry and advise on insurance claims.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,896,139 times
Our car received extensive damage from the hail today (Indian Land area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte