Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:36 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,429,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Idk, because it seem's to be that Southerners pretty much consider anybody from up north to be a Yankee rather they be from NY/NJ or OH/MI.

chance2jump is right about the difference between Northerners and yankees. However most native Southerners won't call you either one..you're a midwesterner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,733,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post

I deliver fuel at the circle K on Sugar Creek and I85 and I can tell you it isn’t safe in the daytime to be there. Go to the map and zoom out you will see how close that is to this house. Bad, bad, bad neighborhood.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 PM

89 posts, read 142,501 times
I think the notion/sterotype that Southerners sit around all day and categorize everyone they meet as a yankee, northerner, etc is silly at best. They have better things to do. I think this falls into the "you are not the center of the universe" folder.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:38 PM

406 posts, read 1,427,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
I live on the very north side near Mountain Island Lake.

And yes, there is a difference between Northerners and Yankees. Trust me.

Sure, the Buckeyes have won against Michigan - but, in recent years, they only have a 7 game win tally. That said, Michigan still has the overall win over OSU score since they first started playing ... maybe we're just letting you all play catch up.

Oh, and what is that about Pryor and 4 others .. suspended for the fist 5 games of the 2011 season?

I know we beat ya'll like 7 games straight! And for the past 9 years you only beat us once. I do know this last one sure was an ass whoopin. I will have to check those stats though. I didnt think that was the case... MI beating OH in wins overall. I'm on that right now lol

Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,756,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
chance2jump is right about the difference between Northerners and yankees. However most native Southerners won't call you either one..you're a midwesterner.
Well, this is all quite complicated. Yes, there are Northerners and then there are Yankees, but you can also sat "there are Yankees, and there are Yankees"--many Southerners do use the term "Yankee" (with no particular inflection" simply as a synonym for "Northerner", no "judgment" intended. But, the same word spoken "a certain way" is quite different, meaning "Yankee" in all of the negative ways. Meaning just because you hear someone refer to "Yankees" doesn't mean it's in a negative way, just a demographic descriptor. I compare it to someone saying "My sister married a Jew" vs "My sister married a Jew"; we all know that said one way, it's a simple fact and said another, there is definitely an undertone there. For many natives of NC, "Yankee" is a simple descriptor and should not be interpreted as offensive--you might simply be saying "a lot of Yankees (Northerners) have moved onto our street lately." It might be good, bad, or simply a statement. Sometimes, also, it is a good-natured ribbing, the way fans of rival sports teams might poke each other, like "all you Yankees have driven up the real estate prices here" said in a friendly way.

BTW, when I was growing up, OH and MI were "Yankees", too (whether "inflected" or "uninflected"). I rarely heard "Midwesterner" much at all, and if so it would mean more like IL/WI/MN.

You can never, and should never, presume that "Yankee" is always an insult (in fact, you should give someone the benefit of the doubt the first time unless they CLEARLY are intending some undertone there). However, even those who use the word nonchalantly will often use Yankee (or some say "Damn Yankee") in the way that many transplants have have misinterpreted as offensive (i.e., someone loud, blunt, pushy, not so much on Emily Post's manners, always complaining about something, mostly how things were so much better up North, and making patronizing comments towards Southerners, Southern accents, Southerns foods, etc). That kind of attitude is out of place wherever someone is from and wherever they move to--seems obvious to me that if you move somewhere and all you can do is complain about your new location, it's time to move back to where you came from, in general, where you will be SO much happier.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:51 PM

406 posts, read 1,427,931 times
Quote:

Sure, the Buckeyes have won against Michigan - but, in recent years, they only have a 7 game win tally. That said, Michigan still has the overall win over OSU score since they first started playing ... maybe we're just letting you all play catch up.

Oh, and what is that about Pryor and 4 others .. suspended for the fist 5 games of the 2011 season?

Btw, I looked this up. It is true. The numbers look like this: 44 OHIO STATE WINS VS 57 MICHIGAN WINS (Overall since 1897). I do notice however that MOST of michigans wins were WAY back when during the time Ohio State wasn't nearly as good like in the early 1900's. At this time Michigan was kickin butt. On the other hand over the years I notice we got more and more wins, even though we havn't caught up yet in amount of wins over the past few decades we have more then Michigan. Ya'll WERE better (i'll give you that), WE are better now!! Sorry I guess theirs no changing my mind. I'm a hardcore Buckeye. Anyways, about the suspended players. I think you watched the news. They are young and messed up and like anybody else we aint perfect and I think should be forgiven. I think it is funny when you watch the games between the two you see them jumping in eachother's face ready to fight N' all. The hatred for the other side is really there

Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM

6 posts, read 12,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
My advice is for you to go over to the houses you have found listed. I would do it on a friday night around 10 pm or a little later. Then you need to park your car and get out and take a little walk...Walk maybe 3 or four blocks in different directions and I think you will quickly learn if you like the neighborhood. Be sure and speak to others you meet and say hello. I suggest wearing a good pair of running shoes also. WELCOME TO CHARLOTTE
That is soooooooo funny! LMAO
but true in any city if you really want to get a feel for a neighborhood before moving there.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,375,214 times
Quote:

Looks like Buckeyes 'owned' the team up north in basketball for many years as well. No worry on Pryor suspension, the Buckeyes landed the number one QB recruit in the country so it is likely he will start as a freshman the first 5 games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte