U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
367 posts, read 692,752 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

We moved here from Portland Oregon last month. I interviewed for a job at the end of April and excepted an offer two weeks later, to start work on June 27th. We put our house on the market on May 1st. We got a full price offer on May 17th. I found a rental online and arranged a lease before I got here. I left a couple of weeks before my family to get the rental house ready and wait on the movers. My family stayed with friends during that time. Once my family arrived my wife and I decided where we wanted to live and we signed a contract to build a house with M/I homes at Glen Grove 75' in Concord. We have a 6 month lease on our rental, then month to month after that while our house is being built. M/I says it will be done by December. Things went pretty smooth for us. We were very fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 PM
 
199 posts, read 618,116 times
Reputation: 89
Default Not sure what order to do things

My house probably won't sell for 6 - 9 months. But it could sell a lot faster since it won't be overpriced. The market in my area is horrible right now. I would like new construction if I can get the right price and area, but I feel it is a big risk not knowing when my house will sell. There are a lot of existing homes, so should I just wait and buy once my house sells?

The job is not really an issue because I'll be transferring with my employer and they will wait on me. But, my husband is in the military right now and won't be back until next July. He doesn't mind if I sell the house and move without him but the thought of doing it is scary.

Should I put my house up now or wait until 6 months before my husband is due home? Should I still try to contract a new construction, and if so when?

Please help with any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
 
Location: East TN
1,025 posts, read 2,538,164 times
Reputation: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmaoy View Post
My house probably won't sell for 6 - 9 months. But it could sell a lot faster since it won't be overpriced. The market in my area is horrible right now. I would like new construction if I can get the right price and area, but I feel it is a big risk not knowing when my house will sell. There are a lot of existing homes, so should I just wait and buy once my house sells?

The job is not really an issue because I'll be transferring with my employer and they will wait on me. But, my husband is in the military right now and won't be back until next July. He doesn't mind if I sell the house and move without him but the thought of doing it is scary.

Should I put my house up now or wait until 6 months before my husband is due home? Should I still try to contract a new construction, and if so when?

Please help with any advice.
Hi, I'm retired military myself. One thing to think about is your Household goods, the military won't just move them for you unless you have orders and then there is usually a max of 6 months for you to make the move before you give up your benefits for the move.

My advice, make the move (assuming you have orders) and rent in the new place until your old home sells. Or wait till the hubby gets back, but I'd still sell now either way, you can always rent where you are at until the hubby comes home.

Let me know if you have any questions or I can be of help. God bless you, I'm assuming your other half is off to Iraq, not a happy time.

Tony
BMC retired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
 
270 posts, read 778,285 times
Reputation: 133
Thanks fours

How are you kids doing being in a new environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Bklyn
56 posts, read 103,777 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
We moved here from Portland Oregon last month. I interviewed for a job at the end of April and excepted an offer two weeks later, to start work on June 27th. We put our house on the market on May 1st. We got a full price offer on May 17th. I found a rental online and arranged a lease before I got here. I left a couple of weeks before my family to get the rental house ready and wait on the movers. My family stayed with friends during that time. Once my family arrived my wife and I decided where we wanted to live and we signed a contract to build a house with M/I homes at Glen Grove 75' in Concord. We have a 6 month lease on our rental, then month to month after that while our house is being built. M/I says it will be done by December. Things went pretty smooth for us. We were very fortunate.
Yes you are very fortunate! Lucky you It would be great if things go as smoothly although it seems that with DH transfers NEVER going through so were still "in the gate" so to speak while your off and running!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 03:14 PM
 
19 posts, read 36,075 times
Reputation: 18
My two cents..I moved from Baltimore, Md to charlotte with my other half and two kids in February 2007. We had been looking at charlotte and visiting since 2003...Had a child in between time so that slowed us down but in 2005 we came back and found a community being built that we really liked..The applegate community...I work for the government and he is self employed..so we tried to figure out the best way to do this..WE STEPPED OUT ON FAITH..we came back to charlotte in 2006...and put a deposit down on the plot..i then requested a transfer from the baltimore office i was working in to the charlotte office..in the mean time, i stayed on the Mecklenburg school website and researched my butt off trying to find the best middle school for my son..we anticipated moving after the school year ended but my transfer came through and they said I HAD TO MOVE IN FEBRUARY..i managed to squeeze in a visit to a magnet school i kinda liked from the website..Randolph middle..and i loved it..the principal held the 1 spot they had left for my son.. i borrowed from my 401K because i couldnt even think of putting my house on the market at the time..We moved and the transition was smooth..my son started school immediately and much to HIS SURPRISE he loved the school..Despite being initially being reluctant to leave his friends and his grandparents...We had a LOVELY HOME BUILT for under $250K ..SOMETHING WE COULD HAVE NEVER DONE IN BMORE..because our home here in charlotte would sell for $600k or more easily...I even found a home care provider for my 2 year..and FUNNY ENOUGH..she also relocated from bmore and we actually graduated from the same high school..the same year..LUCKY RIGHT..

Once we moved..we put the house on the market..used the money from the 401K to cover the mortgage..it took about 2 months for the house in BMORE to sell...

So, FINALLY my 18 years of federal service paid off in giving me the ability to move WITH A JOB..

my son is very happy..we found a wonderful basketball camp for him for the summer..very close to home..My parents have visited and how vowed to sell there home and move to charlotte as well..

No things aren't perfect..gas is HIGH AS HECK..and the food prices here compared to B-more are very high..BUT my gas and electric bill here is 1/2 of what it was in Bmore..and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY HOME AND MY COMMUNITY..i lived in the CITY OF BMORE..not the suburbs..my son couldnt go outside..gang violence...TOO MANY MURDERS TO SPEAK ABOUT..yes, charlotte has the same..BUT ITS JUST NOT LIKE BMORE...i am happy WE MOVED..and cant see US GOING BACK..not to mention..my son has 5 years left before college..and that IN STATE NC COLLEGE RATE LOOKS MIGHTY GOOD..

so i say all that to say..SOMETIMES U GOTTA STEP OUT ON FAITH..AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
3 posts, read 5,782 times
Reputation: 12
I moved to Charlotte 2 years ago. I sold my home first and had a home here within a week. There are a ton of homes on the market here and more going up daily. Until our furniture arrived we stayed in an extended stay hotel. They were great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Mass Pk, NY
27 posts, read 69,495 times
Reputation: 37
Wow ltlbrwnpny that was an awesome post. I should take your advice and just go on faith. I have been researching union county for 2 years and am scared to make the move. Unlike you we will not have jobs lined up. But it seems that everyone finds one and it fine. I just have to make the decison and actually pull the trigger and do it!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Bklyn
56 posts, read 103,777 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlbrwnpny View Post
so i say all that to say..SOMETIMES U GOTTA STEP OUT ON FAITH..AND MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!
That's what i want to do HOWEVER, my DH doesn't feel the same I feel like we'll be here FOREVER if we do things the way he wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,825 times
Reputation: 11
Default looking to leave Ft. Lauderdale

Hi everyone - I new here - hubby and I are looking into moving to the Charlotte, NC area from Ft Lauderdale - we just can't afford a single family home in Ft. Lauderdale (we have been in a 2 bedroom condo for 8 years(, have a live-in mother-in-law, anda 1 year old son.) We need some room! We've been to Charlotte a few times and love it - also looked at the MI homes in Concord. We are concerned about the job market as well - I'm and Exec. Assistant (shouldn't be too difficult for me to find work), but my husband is in the medical insurance industry - doesn't seem to be anything there for him.

We may just take others advice on here and take a step out on faith - otherwise, we'll never make the change and actually have a home we can fall in love with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top