Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,669,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Post some links so we amateurs can figure out where to go.
coastal, Accuweather dot com is pretty good about breaking down the current models and providing information on the ingredients on what it takes for a snowstorm to happen (possibly this weekend..)

Again, the potential is there for a storm but I'd liken it to a hurricane over the lesser antilles right now and trying to figure out where on the carolina coast its going to hit.... WAY early right now......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM

4,542 posts, read 6,362,942 times
Cary road crews are already applying brime to city streets.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,365,976 times
I remember in the late 90's, early 2000's some apocalyptic storm was supposed to hit NY/NJ area. Supposed to be the equivalent of the storm of '96 that shut Jersey down for about a day. The governor of Connecticut declared a state of emergency in advance of this monster of a storm. Panic ensues and, of course, milk and bread flew off the shelves like they were going out of style.

That morning news programs came on the air a little earlier to cover the weather, nearly everyone saying it's coming...it's coming...it's coming...epic snowfall totals...all throughout the morning and afternoon...it's coming...and it never happened. That had to have been one of the only times that a completely major storm was like a couple of hours away and nearly every forecaster, except for Alan Kasper on 101.5 FM who openly questioned where every other weatherman was getting his information from, got it completely wrong. There was a little bit of sleet and a tiny bit of snow mixed in, but nothing any New Jerseyan couldn't handle with relative ease.

Until I actually see it outside my window, I take what meteorologists say with a grain of salt.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM

4,542 posts, read 6,362,942 times
even the Charlotte Observer is honking now Weather Guy

Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM

550 posts, read 1,352,466 times
I was hoping to play disc golf this weekend lol. I guess I can go sledding while attempting to disc golf!

Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM

277 posts, read 658,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Post some links so we amateurs can figure out where to go.
...google is your friend....

Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/2et9jdh - broken link)

Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I remember in the late 90's, early 2000's some apocalyptic storm was supposed to hit NY/NJ area. Supposed to be the equivalent of the storm of '96 that shut Jersey down for about a day. The governor of Connecticut declared a state of emergency in advance of this monster of a storm. Panic ensues and, of course, milk and bread flew off the shelves like they were going out of style.

That morning news programs came on the air a little earlier to cover the weather, nearly everyone saying it's coming...it's coming...it's coming...epic snowfall totals...all throughout the morning and afternoon...it's coming...and it never happened. That had to have been one of the only times that a completely major storm was like a couple of hours away and nearly every forecaster, except for Alan Kasper on 101.5 FM who openly questioned where every other weatherman was getting his information from, got it completely wrong. There was a little bit of sleet and a tiny bit of snow mixed in, but nothing any New Jerseyan couldn't handle with relative ease.

Until I actually see it outside my window, I take what meteorologists say with a grain of salt.
I remember that Brian, it was early 2000's..we were supposed to get 2-3' of snow because you had 2 or 3 storms converging into 1 over us.....you're right, winter storm warnings were posted several days before.....

I think Upstate NY got the brunt of it but it never materialized over the tri-state area....

That's my point. People get on chat boards and think just because these early models show something that they won't change...

Of course these model runs will change. Its way too early to say w/high probability that we're going to get a snowstorm......

Meteorologists are also never held accountable...they never air on the side of caution or really explain that all (most) are doing are just salivating at the latest model runs.....

Old 12-22-2010, 05:09 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,512,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

The Blizzard of 96!That shut South Jersey down for more than a day! There were people snowed in, in Philly, in some neighborhoods for close to a week.

I did a search to see if I could find a prediction on this from Larry Cosgrove. He was the meteorologist at the station that I was working at in '96 & he was the closest to predicting the magnitude of that one.

He's in Houston now, but found something from a few days ago on the potential storm.

All I can say is that I did my part to ward off this storm. I bought a snow shovel.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The Blizzard of 96!That shut South Jersey down for more than a day! There were people snowed in, in Philly, in some neighborhoods for close to a week.

I did a search to see if I could find a prediction on this from Larry Cosgrove. He was the meteorologist at the station that I was working at in '96 & he was the closest to predicting the magnitude of that one.

He's in Houston now, but found something from a few days ago on the potential storm.

All I can say is that I did my part to ward off this storm. I bought a snow shovel.
Blizzard, January 7-8, 1996 - Storm Summary

Here were the totals on that doozy....remember it like it was yesterday...

I do remember the meteorogists up in my area at the time called for 6-12" several days before the storm, an as it led up to it, the totals kept creeping up....they did get that one right for the most part......roads were bad for many, many, days......

Old 12-22-2010, 05:31 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,541,007 times
Buy all the Milk & Bread you can find. Load up on Cigarettes and Beer too.
Rent the movie: "the day after tomorrow"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte