U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,973,866 times

Advertisements

Hi all,The wife and I are planning on shopping for our first home next fall, and have only really thought about purchasing an existing home, but I see tons of threads on both the Charlotte page, as well as the Raleigh page with people talking about building new homes and builders ect, and was curious as to why there seems to be a higher propensity towards building new homes then purchasing homes that already exist, and can be inspected, and walked through, ect, around this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 PM

11,836 posts, read 24,984,915 times
We didn't even consider new builds when we bought our home.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,876,510 times
Customization. You can customize new homes more than existing homes for usually a cheaper price. One of the things my wife wanted was a gas stove. Those were hard to come by in pre-existing homes. Most homes had gas running to the fireplace so we knew a gas stove could be added but we werent sure of the cost. With an existing home we could have that added during contruction, which is usually cheaper, instead of finding someone to do it for us. We were able to get the master bathroom and kitchen with the options we wanted.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:22 PM

714 posts, read 1,979,094 times
Sepulgeek, on the gas thing, only cost me a couple hundred bucks to run the gas line from the fireplace to the new gas stove and get the stove installed. Can't imagine anything being cheaper than that.

But yes, customizations are important to some people. I've never considered new, only resale. The first time because in DC, new construction for my price range was flimsy, whereas a 12 y/o home in my price range was much more solid. Then when we moved here, we went with existing homes only because we didn't want to live for months in an apartment while our dream home was finished.

My mother purchased new, because it was important to her that she have something with a warranty, and have something that was net-new, so she knew nothing needed to be replaced. She was on a tight budget and can't afford surprises like a new roof or water heater.

A perk of buying new is indeed the ability to customize finishes. I personally don't like new also because most developers/builders rip out trees so new builds always look barren to me, and a little sad. Though I'm sure the insides are nice!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM

870 posts, read 3,160,656 times
There is an abundance of existing homes that are under 5 years old.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,129,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Hi all,The wife and I are planning on shopping for our first home next fall, and have only really thought about purchasing an existing home, but I see tons of threads on both the Charlotte page, as well as the Raleigh page with people talking about building new homes and builders ect, and was curious as to why there seems to be a higher propensity towards building new homes then purchasing homes that already exist, and can be inspected, and walked through, ect, around this area.
Many buyers, first time buyers especially, want something shiny and new.

The discriminating, educated buyer understands the value in an existing home

Old 12-22-2010, 02:08 PM

569 posts, read 1,189,840 times
I can't think of many reasons to buy new over existing. Correction I can't think of any reasons to buy new over existing.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM

569 posts, read 1,189,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Loves....I'd rep you but I have to spread some around first.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 2,973,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

My main concern in regards to new homes is the quality of the product, I will do my best to avoid homes that were build during the housing boom because it would only make sense that they would be more interested in getting houses built quickly, and not have as much concern for the quality of the product they are making, because of the demand.I guess that's whay I only buy used cars though

Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,833,306 times
For me it is all about location, location, location.
The shiny new homes are located too far out for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte