Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacy_amy View Post
So if I gave you a couple addresses of houses I was thinking about renting you could tell me yay or nay on if it was a good place to live? I just don't want to get stuck in a lease in an area I'm not going to like. We plan on going down for a week or so but I still don't think we can get a good idea of how good the neighborhoods are.
If it's north of 74 & on the west side of town, avoid it. The southeast portion is very nice & has the best schools.

Other than that information about the schools, you can tell on a simple drive through.

Here's the Gaston County crime map. Community Crime Maps - Gaston County Police Department (http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/gastonpd/CommunityCrimeMaps.htm - broken link)

If you are looking at Gastonia as a place to live & work & mind your own business, you will be welcome. If you are looking at moving there to stir up a stink about the animal shelter, you may not be as welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 AM

47 posts, read 60,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If it's north of 74 & on the west side of town, avoid it. The southeast portion is very nice & has the best schools.

Other than that information about the schools, you can tell on a simple drive through.

Here's the Gaston County crime map. Community Crime Maps - Gaston County Police Department (http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/gastonpd/CommunityCrimeMaps.htm - broken link)

If you are looking at Gastonia as a place to live & work & mind your own business, you will be welcome. If you are looking at moving there to stir up a stink about the animal shelter, you may not be as welcome.
I like the animal shelter, I just don't like how the animals meet their end but that too can change with people trying to make a change in a positive way. Thanks for the crime map that idea didn't even cross my head. We currently live in a community with about 3,000 people with very little crime so something similar would be good.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,004,438 times
Amy take a look at Harrisburg. For not much more than $1000 you can rent a small (1400 sq ft) 3 bedroom 2 bath house. It is a quiet town with decent schools. I will try to post some examples...

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I like the animal shelter, I just don't like how the animals meet their end but that too can change with people trying to make a change in a positive way. Thanks for the crime map that idea didn't even cross my head. We currently live in a community with about 3,000 people with very little crime so something similar would be good.
Gastonia is a city of over 70K people. There is a Christian school there. Gaston Christian School

Kings Mountain has over 10K people.

Where is the job?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Gastonia is a city of over 70K people. There is a Christian school there. Gaston Christian School

Kings Mountain has over 10K people.

Where is the job?
Job would be working all over Charlotte. He would meet at the job site each day so I'm much more interested in moving to an area that is close to the school my kids would go to.....

Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Job would be working all over Charlotte. He would meet at the job site each day so I'm much more interested in moving to an area that is close to the school my kids would go to.....
This is a map of municipal areas in Gaston County. http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/Planning/maps/MunicipalAreas.pdf (broken link)

This is a list of towns in Cleveland County. Cities/Towns Most are too far from Charlotte, but you could look at Grover, if you're looking for small. The kids there go to Kings Mountain for school.

Cherryville in Gaston County is small (roughly half the size of Kings Mountain), but it's considerably further than Kings Mountain to be going all over Charlotte.

If this is a construction job, there are a lot of construction jobs opening up in eastern Cleveland County.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Here's one I found in Harrisburg:

8508 Quay Farm Court Harrisburg NC - Home for Rent - MLS #987830 - Realtor.com®

It does not have any pics yet and was built in 1989 but still a good example of what you can find there...

Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 AM

This one is in Highland Creek, which if you do a search for previous thread regarding Highland Creek you will see it is a well liked neighborhood with good schools:

5913 Hidden Meadow Lane Charlotte NC - Rental Home - MLS #989435 - Realtor.com®

If you stay to the North of Charlotte but choose wisely you will get the schools you want at the price you need. Think Harrisburg, parts of Concord, anything in Highland Creek whether in Charlotte or Cabarrus County... If you can bump the rent up to $1100 or $1195 you will find what you need for sure.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,284 times
My opinion, take it as you'd like. Everyone suggested Gaston county based on job location. For schools, Union county won me over. They have very good ratings and that is where I decided to move. I work at the Epi centre and drive quite the distance but I dont mind one bit. I feel good knowing my daughter will be in an A rated school. most of south Charlotte has good areas, but I cant comment on schools. If you need a realtor reference, please feel free to PM me, I know a very well informed agent who is great to work with. Living in south Carolina, like Fort mill or rock Hill will benefit you also.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
This one is in Highland Creek, which if you do a search for previous thread regarding Highland Creek you will see it is a well liked neighborhood with good schools:

5913 Hidden Meadow Lane Charlotte NC - Rental Home - MLS #989435 - Realtor.com®

If you stay to the North of Charlotte but choose wisely you will get the schools you want at the price you need. Think Harrisburg, parts of Concord, anything in Highland Creek whether in Charlotte or Cabarrus County... If you can bump the rent up to $1100 or $1195 you will find what you need for sure.
I'm confused is Highland Creek a neighborhood or the name of a city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte