Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:11 AM

199 posts, read 902,346 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking at either Charlotte or Raleigh. My husband needs to relocate his business. He is a lawyer and entrepreneur/investor. The economy in our state has resulted in big losses. He looks for varied business opportunities.

What city has more opportunities for business growth, and if anyone knows, what city would be better for growing a legal practice in entertainment law, family law and criminal defense?

Also, what city has better social and cultural activities like museums, theaters, national concert tours and restaurants? Would we be bored in Raleigh? Housing is also a big issue. We need a family oriented community with good diversity and schools in the $250 - $325k range.

If anyone has experienced both places as an African American I would love to hear from you, but I also welcome responses from all.

Also, how do I post this in the Raleigh forum? Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Hi I am only speaking someone who lived in this state that I find charlotte has more wide selection of cultural opprotunity and diversity.

BET.com names Charlotte top city for Black families
The Charlotte Appeal (http://www.bet.com/Site+Management/Packages/CHARLOTTECITIES.htm?wbc_purpose=Basic&WBCMODE=Pres entationUnpublished - broken link)

This BET article might be of interest to you.
Location is Everything! (http://www.bet.com/Site+Management/Packages/BESTCITIESMARYCHAPMAN.htm?Page=2 - broken link)

performance venues
Actor's Theatre of Charlotte - 650 East Stonewall Street
Afro-American Children's Theater - 926 Elizabeth Avenue
Afro-American Cultural Center - 401 North Myers Street
Bank of America Stadium - 800 South Mint Street
Belk Theater - 130 North Tryon
Blumenthal Performing Arts Center - 100 N. Tryon St.
Booth Playhouse - 130 North Tryon
Carolina Theatre - 230 N. Tryon St.
Carolinas Concert Association - PO Box 11356
Charlotte Bobcats Arena - 333 East Trade Street
Charlotte Philharmonic Orchestra -
Charlotte Symphony Orchestra - 201 S. College St.
Children's Theatre of Charlotte - 300 E. Seventh Street
Discovery Place - 301 N. Tryon St.
Duke Power Theatre - 345 North Tryon
Founders Hall - 100 N. Tryon St.
McGlohon Theatre - 345 N. College St.
Moving Poets Theater of Dance - 8116 S. Tryon St., B3-209
North Carolina Dance Theatre - 622 East 28th Street
Opera Carolina - 100 N. Tryon St.
Spirit Square - 345 N. College St.
Theatre Charlotte - 501 Queens Road

art venues

Afro-American Cultural Center - 401 North Myers Street
Bank of America Gallery - 214 North Tryon Street
Clayworks Studio and Gallery - 301 East 9th Street
Farvan International Gallery - 119 E. 7th St.
Gallery at Carillon - 227 W. Trade St.
Gallery L at Main Library - 310 N. Tryon St.
Great Aunt Stella Center - 926 Elizabeth Ave.
Hodges Taylor Gallery - 401 N. Tryon St.
Levine Museum of the New South - 200 E. Seventh Street
McColl Center For Visual Art - 721 N. Tryon St.
Spirit Square - 345 N. College St.
The Light Factory - 345 N. College St
Visit Charlotte - 500 South College Street

Far as events I think due to wide selection of venues and larger population Charlotte attracts big name acts to this location

to post in raleigh forum go this link http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...pel-hill-cary/

Old 07-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Default I thought Charlotte might have more

Thank you for your response; it was good information.

I felt that Charlotte would have more socially and culturally. I have been to Charlotte but didn't see much of it. I have never been to Raleigh. We will be taking a trip to both cities soon. You can't really learn what a city is like until you see it in person.

I have read that Raleigh is one of the best cities in the country to start a business, but for what my husband does I'm not sure.

Does anyone know of diverse neighborhoods with a strong black family presence and good school district?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
Charlotte is one of the best cities to start a business.
I dont recall viewing Raleigh on that list.

Charlotte is more minority based than Raleigh.

Charlotte also has all the income classes.

Raleigh/Durham is very nice, but it's not as diverse.

If you're looking for a strong minority presence..you will soon notice it in Charlotte.

Good Luck

Old 07-25-2007, 11:55 PM

29 posts, read 165,587 times
I guess it would depend on the type of law he is in. RTP is great for tech. Charlotte is more focused on finance but also has a strong tech side that is growing.

Raleigh Durham definitely has a different feel to it than Charlotte.

Go with what you prefer. I know plenty of black people who thought Charlotte or Atlanta were supposed to be better than the places they left but didn't find the oasis they were looking for.
I left NY for business opportunities and it brought me to VA, NC, SC and GA. I prefer NC and GA the most and of the two NC. Georgia is still not progressive in many ways and I couldn't really justify subjecting my children to growing up there.

If you can manage it, spend a few weeks in town, go to events or places that you'd visit if you were living in Charlotte. Go to a chamber of commerce meeting or two or something similar where your husband can see how well he likes the people he'd be doing business with.

You're going to hear shortly about how mixed Charlotte is and its true. There are some majority black ghetto areas but not so on the uppermiddle class lines or above that. Closest place I know that has that is Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 AM

153 posts, read 467,853 times
I agree that Charlotte will afford you more diversity and our economy is strong. With respect to your questions about neighborhoods with good school districts.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-26-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: realtor advertisment

Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyabun View Post
I guess it would depend on the type of law he is in. RTP is great for tech. Charlotte is more focused on finance but also has a strong tech side that is growing.

Raleigh Durham definitely has a different feel to it than Charlotte.

Go with what you prefer. I know plenty of black people who thought Charlotte or Atlanta were supposed to be better than the places they left but didn't find the oasis they were looking for.
I left NY for business opportunities and it brought me to VA, NC, SC and GA. I prefer NC and GA the most and of the two NC. Georgia is still not progressive in many ways and I couldn't really justify subjecting my children to growing up there.

If you can manage it, spend a few weeks in town, go to events or places that you'd visit if you were living in Charlotte. Go to a chamber of commerce meeting or two or something similar where your husband can see how well he likes the people he'd be doing business with.

You're going to hear shortly about how mixed Charlotte is and its true. There are some majority black ghetto areas but not so on the uppermiddle class lines or above that. Closest place I know that has that is Atlanta.
I know what you mean about not finding the oasis people were looking for, and if I'm going to sell my home, uproot my family, and move several states away I want to make sure quality of life will be better, or certainly not worse. The problem with Michigan now is that the economy is not strong and my husband has lost a lot of money.

I believe one of your posts said you had lived in Atlanta. We basically ruled out Atlanta after doing a quality of life analysis. The newer homes there are fabulous but I don't want to just live for my house. I couldn't buy baby formula in Buckhead because it was locked behind customer service. Not what I expected for that area. And the traffic...I don't think we would be better off there.

My research thus far has indicated that Charlotte has what we are looking for. A thriving and growing economy, attractive city, and able to take advantage of varied social events. I will be visiting next month to make an in person assessment.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmaoy View Post
I know what you mean about not finding the oasis people were looking for, and if I'm going to sell my home, uproot my family, and move several states away I want to make sure quality of life will be better, or certainly not worse. The problem with Michigan now is that the economy is not strong and my husband has lost a lot of money.

I believe one of your posts said you had lived in Atlanta. We basically ruled out Atlanta after doing a quality of life analysis. The newer homes there are fabulous but I don't want to just live for my house. I couldn't buy baby formula in Buckhead because it was locked behind customer service. Not what I expected for that area. And the traffic...I don't think we would be better off there.

My research thus far has indicated that Charlotte has what we are looking for. A thriving and growing economy, attractive city, and able to take advantage of varied social events. I will be visiting next month to make an in person assessment.
Sounds like you have it covered. Yeah, Atlanta looks nice but the schools are horrible, crime is out of control in the city, serious drought and others things make it not so nice on the inside. If you think that Buckhead baby formula thing was bad, there is a gang of robbers that look for women with nice wedding rings and children and rob them in grocery store parking lots. That's not happening in the bad parts of town either.

Yesterday a 9 yr old girl was killed by a stray bullet while using the computer in her apartment at 11am. Shot in the head.

If youre in Detroit, the Carolinas are calling for you. Michigan seems to be hurting pretty bad. I wish you well in your search.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,663,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyabun View Post

If youre in Detroit, the Carolinas are calling for you. Michigan seems to be hurting pretty bad. I wish you well in your search.
You mean Detroitistan or Michiganistan?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You mean Detroitistan or Michiganistan?
roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michiganistan lol

wow never heard that before hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte