Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 7,113 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house (around $500k) in Mint Hill and would love to get some thoughts from folks.

- How are the schools?
- Thoughts on crime rate/safety?
- Long term growth prospects?
- Commute into uptown?

Searched and got some answers but information seemed dated. Any information/opinions would be very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:08 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,303 times
We live in Mint Hill!! Which school would you be zoned for and what age are the kids right now? Crime happens, the Lowe's Foods got robbed, the occasional car get broken into but it is most cetainly a safe place to live. Long term growth potential is excellant. The town does make decisions cautiously which I think is best. They are very particular about building permits and the style of store fronts. For ex. the require parking be in the back of a commercial build. There are a few long term things in the works, a huge park just down from the library, a commercial multi-use center back behind the hardware store and then maybe one day the Bridges of Mint Hill will get going. My husband commute to Billy Graham Parkway in about 30 minute. I can get to Uptown during the day in about 22 minutes. We take Lawyers to Albemarle Rd to 74. It really is an easy commute. We love the town events and plan on staying here for a good long while. DM if you have any other questions.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,264 times
We've lived in Mint Hill now for about 3 1/2 years. I like the small town feel, with all the conveniences (Walmart, Target, groceries) within 5 miles or less. I commute to Uptown, but usually ride the bus. There is an Express bus route that goes from Hwy 51 to uptown during morning and evening commute hours. If you are driving to Uptown during those commute hours, expect more like a 30-35 minute drive, depending on traffic. They did some major work at one of the intersections (Lawyers and Albemarle) and now it takes several light changes to get through when the traffic is heavy.

GK covered most of your other points, and I agree with what she said (I don't have school age children, so am not at all familiar with the quality of the local schools).

Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,113 times
Thank you for that information - exactly what we were looking for...

One follow up question - when y'all decided on Mint Hill, was Union County an option due to lower taxes, better schools etc?

We are looking in the Stonebridge subdivision and not entirely sure which schools but from what we understand - it's going to be Bain Elem, Mint Hill middle and Butler High.

Our little one is not even 2 yet but we are looking to stay for a while...

Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM

22 posts, read 34,255 times
we have lived in Mint Hill for the last 4 years. I commute to Nations Ford Road off 77 and can get there in about 30-45 minutes (depending on traffic). I can get to downtown Charlotte in about 15-20 minutes. It's actually a very easily commutable town.
As for crime & safety - I have never felt unsafe here. Seems to be pockets of crime in some neighborhoods, but usually ends up being teenagers vandelizing cars or domestic situations. We frequently don't lock our doors and never feel worried. Stonebridge is a great neighborhood and from what I've been told from friends with kids - those schools are all great.
Long term growth seems to be positive - back in 2007 at the real estate peak, there seemed to be too many neighborhoods going up, but the recession and the bubble bursting has slowed down development and made it more manageable. It was a good thing for this area, in my opinion. Mint Hill is famous for taking their sweet time approving new projects, developments, etc - but I like that they are more concerned with perseving the small-town feel of Mint Hill rather than just bowing to the developers trying to throw cash at them.
Here's the thing about Union County - it does have lower taxes for the time being, but it also has had a a huge influx of people moving there - which means that the once great schools are now extremely overcrowded, they can't keep up with the road maintenance and emergency response, etc etc. Everything I have read seems to indicate that in order to keep up with their level of growth and new infrastructure required, they will be forced to raise their taxes.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,361,958 times
I just moved the Mint Hill this summer and absolutely love it. I feel safe and everything I need is nearby.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:45 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times
Mint Hill is nice, and probably considerably closer than Union County, depending where your looking. I chose Union county for the reasons you listed above. I dont find most of the streets overcrowded and I leave and come back during the busiest commuting times, though it takes me an hour an 20-30 minutes to get to uptown. I'm at a very southern tip of Union though. Indian Trail is much closer. You may want to look at Fort Mill also. Not trying to sway you either way, Mint Hill seemed fine driving through, but I also saw some very seedy areas. Your accesbility to 77 makes a big difference though. 485 is the main east/west of union county and is pretty backed up with traffic at msot times. Just giving my "other side of the coin" opinion. I dont know enoguh about Mint Hill to be biased.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
We live in Mint Hill!! Which school would you be zoned for and what age are the kids right now? Crime happens, the Lowe's Foods got robbed, the occasional car get broken into but it is most cetainly a safe place to live. Long term growth potential is excellant. The town does make decisions cautiously which I think is best. They are very particular about building permits and the style of store fronts. For ex. the require parking be in the back of a commercial build. There are a few long term things in the works, a huge park just down from the library, a commercial multi-use center back behind the hardware store and then maybe one day the Bridges of Mint Hill will get going. My husband commute to Billy Graham Parkway in about 30 minute. I can get to Uptown during the day in about 22 minutes. We take Lawyers to Albemarle Rd to 74. It really is an easy commute. We love the town events and plan on staying here for a good long while. DM if you have any other questions.
Glad you are so happy in one of my favorite little towns

What I appreciate about Mint Hill has always been their careful attention to zoning issues. They have done a good job of preventing retail sprawl, though I do wish they still have a requirement of every new home having to be on at least a third of an acre. That went away in the last decade, but because of the past requirement many neighborhoods already established look less cookie cutter. Now with I485 open you can live in Mint Hill and get many places around the metro very easily. When I lived there (before I485) the routes to uptown could get congested, but now the commute is so much more manageable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte