Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 05:10 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,384 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any local/state laws regarding the use of these?
LONG story, but my 8 yr old daughter was at a friends house, across the street and they were shooting these in the back yard (thankfully not my daughter, and thankfully she didn't get hurt) and I'm concerned for safety of her (she's no longer allowed over there) and others. Our lots are TINY, though there's noone behind them yet, there may be workers etc. The 9 yr old friend and 14 yr old sister were using the guns...........was Friday the 13th, a bad day around here!

Thanks for any info or links, I tried google, but no luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 05:26 PM

48 posts, read 315,874 times
Try this link:

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

as many states believe it or not do consider a BB gun a firearm. If this link does not help, I would contact the local sheriff's dept for more specific law.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:27 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,988 times
I don't know if this is the current law but I found this online.

Quote:
Under G.S. § 14-316, a guardian or parent of a child under 12 may not allow such child to have possession, custody, or the use of any gun, pistol, or dangerous firearm, except under the parent or guardian's direct supervision. Air rifles, air pistols, and BB guns shall not be deemed "dangerous firearms" within the meaning of this statute except in: Anson, Caldwell, Caswell, Chowan, Cleveland, Cumberland, Durham, Forsyth, Gaston, Harnett, Haywood, Mecklenburg, Stanly, Stokes, Surry, Union and Vance Counties.
NC Firearm Laws (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:ZwMyUo2n2HYJ:www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf+nc+bb+gun+possession+age&hl=en& ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari - broken link)

Old 07-14-2007, 07:04 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,384 times
Thank you for the great info. When I'm not so angry I'll see if I can try to let the parents know the info. nicely. Hopefully they're just unaware of the law, as they too just moved here from out of state. Still won't let my daughter play over there! I'll let her friend over here to play when my daughter is over being grounded.
Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
I have total respect for the law and use of bb guns but it would seem to me that the counties that it not allowed to be shot in should not be allowed to sale them at the local wally world.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 PM

298 posts, read 565,241 times
I still have my BB gun from my childhood, target practice with coffee cans. Granted I grew up in Montana and there were no homes behind our backyard... I never dreamed they would be illegal in some places. I can't seem to keep up with the changing times, I guess.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 PM

182 posts, read 824,972 times
Default Firearms

As I read this , it just reminded me of the home owners insurance we've been checking out.
My husband and I can't believe that included in most policys is a $10k provision for firearms and only $1.5k for jewlery.
Apparently I'll be getting more than a BB gun for my up coming Birthday and it better be diamond incrusted.....

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 PM

50 posts, read 222,877 times
Seems to me that the best protection is through governance of child. BB guns are harmless at any conceivable range beyond a few tens of feet (a lot size in most neighborhoods).

You child is more likely to be injured by cars or poison.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:48 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,729 times
"You'll shoot your eye out kid"

Sorry, couldn't resist adding a line from the greatest Christmas movie of all time!!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:37 PM

132 posts, read 449,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
Seems to me that the best protection is through governance of child. BB guns are harmless at any conceivable range beyond a few tens of feet (a lot size in most neighborhoods).

You child is more likely to be injured by cars or poison.
Agreed about the governance of a child part, as well as where BB gun injuries rank compared with other sources.

Don't want to scare anyone, but there are BB guns (pellet guns) that do well over 1000 feet per second, taking them out to a good 30-50 yards. They can do some damage. But like it's been said, the likelyhood of being injured with the air rifle is low.

Given the inertia of the pellet, it's very easy to stop them--siding, insulation, wood, metal, trees, bushes, etc., can stop a pellet very quickly. So, while they can go a ways, they're easily stopped, by the first thing they encounter, generally.

Given the circumstances, if the 9 year old were using the air rifle, maybe the parents should be reminded of the laws for the particular county (as listed in NC's firearms laws), but the 14 year old was most likely using the BB gun legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte