Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,105,265 times

Advertisements

I'll try to answer some of your questions. Keep in mind this is coming from my somewhat jaded view of the city.

1. Just because Whole Foods is coming does not mean people will be educated about food. First of all, we already have a natural food chain store that is local to North Carolina - Earth Fare. It's very similar to WF, except that they sell much more locally grown produce and meats. I like the fact that they are smaller and local, rather than your typical big box store that tries to shut out local businesses while shipping things all over the country. That, to me, is as far from sustainable and forward moving as you can get.

As a side note, I've been searching for local eggs for over a year now. The closest place I can find them is 20 minutes away, and they don't always have them. The local farmer's markets are, IMO, just ok. The produce is mostly from Florida, and it's really no different than what you would find at the store. There are very few sources of local food here.

2. Yes, they are still building tract neighborhoods. Charlotte is known for its sprawl.

3. The light rail doesn't go all over the city, and it won't for decades. It's great for going uptown, but that's about it. The city is broke, and their money needs to be going for other projects right now. It's also a city that's extremely unfriendly to bicycle traffic.

4. Asheville doesn't seem that much more expensive to me. We've looked at moving there. As far as community events, I guess it depends on what you want to do. When you first posted I thought you were interested in a more artsy town with outdoor activities, local food, etc. If all you want is a decent science museum, the YMCA and a theme park nearby, then I guess you would find things to do in Charlotte.

5. Sure, there are Democrats here, but we are in the minority. Just peruse through some of the posts on this board and you will get a taste of the general attitude toward liberals around here. There have been several threads lately about not finding a niche in Charlotte, and it's us left-leaners who are having the trouble, but according to everyone else that's because we have personality problems. I think Charlotte could officially be considered a purple city, but it's on the red side. You mentioned Raleigh in your post, and it's a significantly more Democratic area.

Honestly, if the most important thing to you is Whole Foods and Discovery Place, maybe you'll find Charlotte to be just fine. It sounds as though you are the one trying to convince us that Charlotte is the place for you, not the other way around. If you think you'll love it, come here and give it a try. You can always move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresmama View Post
oh shoot.. I wanted to chime on the "be apart of the building up"... it really is amazing what the next 10 years is going to be like and the changing that is going to occur. Have faith, the rich will be the best ones!

There really is a certain vibe a place has to have to change into something better.. "Progressive" is the BEST... I mean the very best trait a city can hold to carry it through! Charlotte wants to grow (that is the vibe I get) and not just in jobs and space, but really grow to compete with NYC and SF, and it really seems like it is on it's way.... but not there yet and the next trend is going to be all about being green, hi-tech and either local, organic, or natural, so it is going to happen. Racism? It seems like that is a very unpopular way to be there!

Gay community?

Big Churches that do a lot of community building and outreach is a big plus too!

And what about Happiness Climate? People look in your eyes? Friendly? Caring? Is that where "yuppie" comes from?

Drugs (hard core ones?) and Gangs?
Are you kidding? Please tell me you are joking or are trolling...check out the "Why is Bill James still in office?" thread.

Yes, there are drugs and gangs here. There is a lot of crime, everywhere in the entire city. This is not Nirvana, it's a mid-sized city struggling with its identity.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM

47 posts, read 89,378 times
Coastal Girl! Thank you so much for your knowledge, experience and most of all honesty!!!! Huge Hugs!

I totally am trying to convince myself into Charlotte. I am not feeling the wholesomeness of Asheville and trying to see if I am just blind to the family goodness that Charlotte has to offer. Asheville *seems* to be struggling to be organized but has a lot of laid back grass roots things to do.

I absolutely hate saying this, but this is the hashest thing that is really burning in my mind ... I think Asheville is a safe haven in the south, but I do not feel that it is vibrant... well.. I haven't been there since 2008, but it was struggling. It is just that out of every 20 places, you will find the most awesome organic fare at one place, etc, but you have to go all over the town and there is lots in between. Like "The Earth Guild" - whoa-oh-oh, that place was a dream come true! Honolulu is a lot like Asheville in that I find people "trying it" and moving on to afford a sustainable lifestyle... that is actually been the hardest thing about living here, but it is awesome how many of us love people like a turnstile , and also there is people that have never even left the island. I worry about Asheville.. people talk about it like it is NC last resort for the "Earthy" peeps. It has always made me wonder about the rest of the state not being for them.. I really appreciate the wake up call!

Yeah, if Charlotte is on par with Asheville... I think the housing must be the highest cost. Maybe if we get a deal or a foreclosure.. then we would be okay.

Racism is the biggest kicker for me... I thought it was over... I would consider myself a lucky grandma if my each married outsider there skin tone and I got beautiful grand kids with unity hearts!

Pics of us: The Spencer Family Welcomes You!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Wow - you have such a fantastic outlook! I love it! Well, if you move here I will most certainly be your friend. At least then we can crusade for change together.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,796,212 times
Greenacres, you really need to do some more homework on Charlotte before you make the decision to move here. One t hing that may have been a joke, but shows me how much you are not looking at is your remark about playing golf for recreation. There are hundreds more activities here besides golf. I'd actually put golf (as much as I love to play) in the lowest ranks of things to do.

You're also "trying to convince myself into Charlotte". Visit first. Like buying a car, you check it out first. At this point, you've just looked at the pictures in a car brochure and said "pretty."

I seriously doubt I am alone in this feeling, but I think you'll be posting here about how Charlotte hates you in a short time after arriving.

My advice.....stay where you are.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 PM

47 posts, read 89,378 times
Thanks guys.. My mom is the hardest in Knoxville Tn. She barely frequents anything but the basics and talks the world over about the people and the weather. It is sooo hard because she is a time in her life that doesn't need a whole village to help raise her kids... she isn't trying to lie to me but she says so often that people are there and I need to just find them. It is super hard for them to hear that a organic community does exist... but it starts more affordably in colder weather NE on their side (vs. west coast).

I have moved my search over into Eastern New York bordering CT and MA. It seems like a great find for the homeschooling life to be so close to so many artist.. I am falling in love. The housing is soooo much better in terms of natural landscapes, co-ops, arts, and a walkable library.. Hurts.. but.. ya know.. that NC weather is a hot, hot, hot deal right now to retiring peeps.. I just think it goes way out of my price range.

I told my mother I would practically live at her farm house Jan- March! LOL!

Thank you! Huge Hugs!!!! There is really somewhere out there for this sweet family... I know it.. and ... It is the real reason my sis said "we just need ot be in the same time zone and can talk on the phone at the same time of day!" She knew the area's people may be a real clash.. She loves dirt bikes and shooting squirells, great weather and taxes... I love the "Bedford Falls" sleepy farm towns with a town piano teacher D and tons of organic "farm to table" places..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:47 PM

33 posts, read 46,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just lookin' View Post
jayhawks...fyi there is also a local farm: Poplar Ridge that is certified organic CSA (community-supported agriculture) where you can subscribe for a membership and regular deliveries as well. A full share is 24 weeks: May - October. They also have flowers and some partnerships with other farms for purchasing additional products. www.poplarridgefarmnc.com
I wasn't aware of this!! That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM

689 posts, read 1,649,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just lookin' View Post
jayhawks...fyi there is also a local farm: Poplar Ridge that is certified organic CSA (community-supported agriculture) where you can subscribe for a membership and regular deliveries as well. A full share is 24 weeks: May - October. They also have flowers and some partnerships with other farms for purchasing additional products. www.poplarridgefarmnc.com
I actually got info on this last year. When I get a job I will certainly look into it further. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte