Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times

Advertisements

So James is in office because a)His constituents support him and b)he runs unopposed. I wouldn't vote for him.

While I do respect Bill James' right to say idiotic things, I could never support someone like him, even if I agreed on other issues.Perhaps it's because I am liberal but for me it comes down to character; IMO he shows more than ignorance it's willful bigotry.

"Liike an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense of values and his objectivity. It causes him to describe the beautiful as ugly and the ugly as beautiful, and to confuse the true with the false, and the false with the true." - MLK Jr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM

89 posts, read 142,885 times
There were two members of the county commission who took the correct response to Jennifer Robert's inappropriate request of the county manager to sent letters. (Which BTW she disingenuously said she didn't have time to send herself. )

The first is from at large Harold Cogdell, Jr. (D)
To all:

I would urge all of us to please remain focused on issues directly affecting Mecklenburg County Government.

I believe any of us can voice our individual opinions as elected officials on any issue. However, I agree with County Manager Jones response that unless the BOCC has taken an official position or action on a political issue, county staff should not have to prepare personal position documents or correspondence.

I don’t belive any of us should be voicing our support for, opposition to or position regarding any issue on behalf of the BOCC unless our Board has taken an official position on such issue by way of action taken at a regular or special meeting of the BOCC.

Harold Cogdell, Jr.

The 2nd is from District 5 Neil Cooksey (R)
All:

I concur with Harold on this issue. Unless we formally adopt something, I do not think that any individual member of the Board should speak for the Board or give the appearance of doing so. Moreover, any personal notes to legislators on issues should clearly indicate that the letter is sent in an individual capacity and not an official one. I have no interest in getting in the practice of having to send dissenting letters. Speaking for myself only, I am

Very truly yours,

Neil Cooksey

These two got it right. Too bad they are not running the council. Pendergraph (R) and Bentley (R) both made statements against the repeal of DADT but they also said the council should not be involved. The rest are silent on the matter.

Jennifer Roberts had no business getting the county riled up on this issue and Bill James foolishly took her bait and only hurt himself in the matter. Neither of these commissioners deserve our respect and their actions are a shameful embarrassment that this is what he have running our government.

Last edited by LazarusLong; 12-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: english

Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
So am I supposed to overlook the fact that he painted all African Americans, which BTW I am one, as living in moral sewers? To me that's enabling his behavior, just like someone who is a drug addict or alcoholic who clearly has a serious problem but their friends or loved ones continue to make excuses for their behavior! I don't care how fiscally conservative he is, I don't support bigots! I'm not attacking you, you are entitled to your opinion, but let's just agree to disagree on this one! Furthermore, I'm pretty sure there are some really good fiscal conservatives out there who are not over the top bigots as well!

He actually didn't, his remarks were in regards to young black thugs, not all black people.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Find where I said that he wasn't offensive. Read carefully. I called the man an idiot.

Just the same, where I came from was much like here, with few candidates covering the mid-ground. As I said, I'm used to seeing idiots get elected. That doesn't make what you posted to lovesMountains & Chromekitty right. I vote as I see fit & assume that others do the same.

Where I came from choices of candidates were about the same. You had to pick your poison. If getting someone to have some fiscal responsibility is important to someone then that's who they vote for. If a candidate runs unopposed whose fault is that?

I had a choice & voted against McHenry because the Democrats put up a viable candidate. (fiscally conservative without a big mouth) McHenry won because there was a huge turnout of people who were ticked off at Nancy Pelosi. I don't like him, but I would never attack someone who voted for him.

You may dislike James, intensely, & I support that. I don't support the way that you called out those other posters.
You said it well my friend

Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Shoot, lovesMountains, can anyone say Ted Kennedy? Did a lot of good things in his life, but uh... he sure as Hell did at least one absolutely awful terrible horrible thing within his personal life. To those who do not know, that "thing" would be drunkenly crashing a car and leaving the female occupant to die in the wreckage. Still, he gets credit for all the good he did, and rightly so. Just felt this was a good example to add.

Another great example, thanks Mattman

Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Another great example, thanks Mattman
Barney Frank? No no...nevermind, that's just a bad example all the way around. My bad.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:14 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
He actually didn't, his remarks were in regards to young black thugs, not all black people.
Well that makes it much more acceptable. Thanks for clarifying.

His ACTUAL quote: "Most people know why CMS can't teach kids within the urban black community. They live in a moral sewer with parents who lack the desire to act properly."

How do you explain his remark that black people have greater instances of STDs because they are more promiscuous? Or when he wrote, in 1999, that blacks "live off the government and view it as an entitlement, a guaranteed source of funds"?

He's an equal opportunity hater too. I'm sure you remember when that plaque went up in Freedom Park last year honoring Kim Thomas and he said women should "stick to their knitting".

I just read that he also wanted to draft a letter on behalf of the entire commission during the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal, much the same as Roberts did with her letter to the congressmen/women, and that he was doing it as a political ploy to rile people up. Pretty funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

Last edited by coastalgirl; 12-30-2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 12-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Well that makes it much more acceptable. Thanks for clarifying.

His ACTUAL quote: "Most people know why CMS can't teach kids within the urban black community. They live in a moral sewer with parents who lack the desire to act properly."

How do you explain his remark that black people have greater instances of STDs because they are more promiscuous?

Here's the thing, our OP asked a question, "Why do you folks of his district continue to vote him into office?", and that question has been answered.

You don't have to like the answer.

You don't have to agree with the answer.

But that doesn't change the truth of the answer for those of us who have voted for Bill James.

The bottom line is, fiscally conservative voters are sick to death of more and more of their hard earned money being taken from them in the form of taxes and spent on huge entitlement programs and government waste.

This does not mean said voters are "homophobic" or "prejudiced against blacks" at all. Believe it or not, gays and blacks have voted for Bill James too.

Fiscal conservatives just want someone to manage our tax dollars well, stop government from growing and quit taxing us to death.

Bill James offers a counter balance to the Vilma Leaks of Charlotte, and that's what his constituants appreciate about him. And again, we can appreicate the job he's doing without liking him as a person or agreeing with his idiotic uneducated opinions on social issues.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Barney Frank? No no...nevermind, that's just a bad example all the way around. My bad.
And with that you lost all credibility.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:

But that doesn't change the truth of the answer for those of us who have voted for Bill James.

The bottom line is, fiscally conservative voters are sick to death of more and more of their hard earned money being taken from them in the form of taxes and spent on huge entitlement programs and government waste.
Honestly, that's such a tired argument. I have repeated myself over and over again - I agree that fiscal responsibility is important. Good character in someone who represents you and your city is just as important. Put someone out there who can do both.

If people really are against what he has to say, they wouldn't vote for him. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte