Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
^Thank you. James has no official capacity with the City of Charlotte. I wish more people would take the time to learn about their government before making broad generalizations that are not based in any fact.
Hey!
The 'new guy' is pretty bright!

Sorry about some of the comments Lazarus. Some posters love to try the 'you must new here' put-downs. Welcome to the forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 06:16 PM

576 posts, read 586,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
He has no competition in his district, he runs unoposed. And this happens because the overwhelming number of people in his district agree with his "faith and values". Again, let's not try to pretend ones "faith and values" is not the focal point of all far right elected officials when they run for office. It absolutley is.

Just because you say it doesnt make it fact. People only voted for him because they agree with his "faith and values"??? You mean it had nothing to do with how he actually performs at his job?

Someone should let them know that they arent voting for a new friend.

-- Do you have examples of his campaign fliers, signs and commercials that prove his focal point was that gays are sexual predators?
-- Do you have a poll that shows the majority of people in his district agree with his inflammatory statements? And that they voted for him because of his personal social views?

I am sorry but until I see those things I will give people more credit than that and assume that most of them thought he was a good choice to help decide tax rates, spending, etc.

I am not trying to be argumentative, and as I think everyone on here has already stated and most in Charlotte would agree, his recent statement (and a handful of others) are wrong. They shouldnt have been said and 90% of people wouldnt agree with them, but they are still just his personal views and do not come into play when making budget decisions, setting taxes, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
Quote:
He has no competition in his district, he runs unoposed. And this happens because the overwhelming number of people in his district agree with his "faith and values". Again, let's not try to pretend ones "faith and values" is not the focal point of all far right elected officials when they run for office. It absolutley is.
When I vote (and I vote in every election!) I can vote for anyone I choose for any reason I choose. That's the beauty of living in a free country.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Making that accusation over and over again does not make it true

Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
Just because you say it doesnt make it fact. People only voted for him because they agree with his "faith and values"??? You mean it had nothing to do with how he actually performs at his job?

Someone should let them know that they arent voting for a new friend.

-- Do you have examples of his campaign fliers, signs and commercials that prove his focal point was that gays are sexual predators?
-- Do you have a poll that shows the majority of people in his district agree with his inflammatory statements? And that they voted for him because of his personal social views?

I am sorry but until I see those things I will give people more credit than that and assume that most of them thought he was a good choice to help decide tax rates, spending, etc.

I am not trying to be argumentative, and as I think everyone on here has already stated and most in Charlotte would agree, his recent statement (and a handful of others) are wrong. They shouldnt have been said and 90% of people wouldnt agree with them, but they are still just his personal views and do not come into play when making budget decisions, setting taxes, etc.
You keep bringing up this one, recent incident. You must be new to the area. Fact is, Bill James has made numerous racist and homophobic comments thoughout his very long career. He's managed to insult the gay, hispanic and African-American members of this community at several times. And I'll repeat it because you keep ignoring it. Let's not act like far right elected officials such as Bill James dont push their stance on their "faith and values" as reasons why people should vote for them. Next time you see him, ask him, and I guarantee he'll tell you that, LOL!!!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM

576 posts, read 586,004 times
Quote:
You keep bringing up this one, recent incident. You must be new to the area. Fact is, Bill James has made numerous racist and homophobic comments thoughout his very long career. He's managed to insult the gay, hispanic and African-American members of this community at several times. And I'll repeat it because you keep ignoring it. Let's not act like far right elected officials such as Bill James dont push their stance on their "faith and values" as reasons why people should vote for them. Next time you see him, ask him, and I guarantee he'll tell you that, LOL!!!

Born in Charlotte in 1982. Been here all but 5 years (college).

But keep believing that everyone only votes for people because of their personal views and not because of their performance history of the actual job itself.

Go ahead and list the last 20 people you voted for (locally or nationally). We'll see if you agree with every single thing ALL of them have ever said. Ever.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM

89 posts, read 142,885 times
It's probably more correct to say that Jame's actions, and they are not new news, do not conflict enough with the faith and values of his constituents as to make him unelectable. They either:
  1. agree with his positions,
  2. or don't care what he says about it since the county council has no business taking policy positions about the US military,
  3. or are ignorant on the matter (a very high possibility),
  4. or elected him due to his stance on taxes
James by the way is part of the once notorious "Gang of Five" who in 1997 voted to eliminate county funding for the arts because of a showing of Angels in America. See this: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_0036.htm It should be noted the anti-Gay rhetoric was actually started by a one Hoyle Martin from District 2. He was democratic and Black yet made this statement:
freshman Democrat Hoyle Martin signaled that he would vote with the Republican minority on issues involving homosexuality. "If I had my way, we'd shove these people off the face of the earth," he told The Charlotte Observer newspaper. In a January interview with The Advocate, Martin listed a number of reasons he believes homosexuality is wrong:
"Number 1, it's not normal. Number 2, it's not natural. Number 3, it's a major cause of AIDS.... Number 4, their clear objective is to seduce and have sex with young children" to keep the gay population from dwindling.
This happened in 1997 yet despite this, James has been re-elected to this seat in every election since. Obviously it's not an issue for his voters and not enough of an issue for the Democratic party to run a candidate against him.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThrillIsGone View Post
Born in Charlotte in 1982. Been here all but 5 years (college).

But keep believing that everyone only votes for people because of their personal views and not because of their performance history of the actual job itself.

Go ahead and list the last 20 people you voted for (locally or nationally). We'll see if you agree with every single thing ALL of them have ever said. Ever.
I've never said you have to agree with everything your elected officials say. But I do believe...actually I know...that most people vote for people who share their same "faith and values". And I'm proud to say, my "faith and values" would never allow me to vote for a homophobe, or a racist

Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaruslong View Post
^thank you. James has no official capacity with the city of charlotte. I wish more people would take the time to learn about their government before making broad generalizations that are not based in any fact.
I know he is not officially a city representative; however we live in a city that is completely within the county he represents. Therefore he represents the city of charlotte. See? I don't know how i can make myself any more plain.

I know how my local government works.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Making that accusation over and over again does not make it true
Neither does the assertion that you vote for someone simply because you like the way they handle your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte