Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:51 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
It's not a matter of needing thick skin. I'm on other boards, one in particular, where if you don't have iron for skin, you won't last (If you think the political forum here is bad, that ain't nothing). It's not the arguments or debates. It's someone calling Chromekitty a hypocrite because she felt bad folks had to work on Christmas day. It's Ani getting attacked for God knows what harmless thing she said. That's happened a lot more than once.

Truthfully, the Charlotte forum is also a poorly moderated one. Some stuff that should go, stays. Other stuff that stays should go. Harmless stuff that flies in nearly every other state's forums gets you put into a timeout or banned here. Half the time I wasn't really sure what I should say, so I just learned to not even bother.
True so very true. Apparently if a post isn't "helpful" or "necessary" (according to 1 person BTW), then you can expect it to be gone. We should all enjoy this thread while we still can 0

Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
There is a red triangle at the top right of each post - if ANY post you read is mean, making personal attacks, or just trolling* - click that triangle, and report the post, and that poster. If someone gets enough reports, they WILL be banned. (Or should be.) I moderate a very large discussion forum; there's no way a moderator can read ALL of the posts, so that report button is very helpful!

Not to overuse it, though - don't report someone for disagreeing with you, or if you disagree with what they're saying! I always assume positive intent, otherwise you can take these written words too personally! No need to get upset over words on a screen. When it's obvious someone is trolling, though, do report them.

*trolling - posting inflammatory, off-topic, highly immature, or insulting messages to provoke a reaction from others

Each forum has its own set of rules; you can find the terms of service for CD here:

http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

And in that TOS it says:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

No need to be afraid to post!
This and problems are solved

#1:
Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
#2:
Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
#3:
Quote:
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to Send me a direct message
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte