Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM

387 posts, read 615,770 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]mom2edna,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Which places are you considering as possible relocation options. I used to live in Charlotte moved to NJ and am myself trying to check on other options. DC is one option under consideration and other being Texas. Never experienced Texas summer thus apprehensive. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
people asking what church do you go to. A hat called a tobbagan, a shopping cart is a buggy, cut the lights, mash the button, i'm fixin to head home...locals who know little to nothing about the Holocaust or Jews in general...

Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devra View Post
...locals who know little to nothing about the Holocaust or Jews in general...
Not sure I fully understand this.

South Charlotte has a very vibrant and active Jewish community, and I think you would be hard pressed to find someone in 2011 who knows "nothing about the Holocaust".

But yes, Charlotte certainly is not diverse as the Northeast US.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:18 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times
Quote:
That sounds like an insult.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM

308 posts, read 617,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
More than I ever thought possible
Actually, I think it depends on what kind of life you lived where you were prior more than where you lived.
However, the one thing I hear most commonly amongst northerners is the talk of religion. In the north people don't really talk about it, whilst here people ask you where you go to church upon a first meeting.
Been here 10 years. Had one nice lady invite me to her church. I don't consider that a negative or a huge cultural disparity. I told her that I didn't go to church and she kindly changed the topic. She was just trying to make me feel at home in a new city/country.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 PM

308 posts, read 617,657 times
Quote:
people asking what church do you go to. A hat called a tobbagan, a shopping cart is a buggy, cut the lights, mash the button, i'm fixin to head home...locals who know little to nothing about the Holocaust or Jews in general...
Sorry, don't understand so of what you are saying. You state, "A hat called a tobbagan'. What does that mean? Are you saying that people call hats tobbagans? I have heard people call a shopping cart a 'cart' and a 'buggy'. What do you consider proper? Is one term better than another?The term "fixin" is an old term brought from Scotland that has remained. Would it be advantageous if it were discontinued?

The Jewish population in the area enjoy an excellent relationship with the Christian communities from what I have read and heard. I have been to the Jewish Commnunity Center which is extremely impressive. There were many locals there with their church groups involved in activities. I believe that locals are likely far more informed about Judism and the Holocaust than the average community. Many Jews are native to this area and are a very well accepted throughout.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:41 PM

50 posts, read 111,857 times
[quote=anifani821;17666706]It isn't that folks are in love with their cars . . . it is necessary to have a car in this region as public transportation is limited . . . and many folks have to commute at least 30 minutes to work. Cars are considered a necessary expense here b/c not having one limits choices.

Have you checked out the car washes in Atlanta??? Cars in Atlanta are very much a fashion statement.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,133,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
Sorry, don't understand so of what you are saying. You state, "A hat called a tobbagan'. What does that mean? Are you saying that people call hats tobbagans?
Yes, they are saying that people call hats toboggans. For the record, my husband calls his hat (winter hat, not ball cap) a toboggan and we're from Ohio, so it's not a southern thing.

The comment about Jews and the Holocaust has me stumped.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:58 AM

407 posts, read 851,484 times
Quote:
I am also stumped by this. Approx 60% of my neighborhood is originally from North of the Mason Dixon Line or North of the Ohio River. Should I be considered a "local" or a "transplant?" I guess it would be considered an insult to the "locals." That would assume they had never read a newspaper, news magazine, watch PBS, network news, or had any schooling beyond 1st grade.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
I am a native and I never heard a knit hat called a toboggan until my relatives from New Jersey used the term. I was taught a toboggan is a type of sled.

I call a shopping cart a shopping cart and everyone I know calls it a shopping cart.

I mash potatoes. I press buttons.

I turn off the lights.

I have heard folks say "cut the engine" but not the lights . . .

I have attended synagogue; my mother spent most of her career working for several firms owned by Jews.

I don't know where you got your ideas about folks in North Carolina. . watching movies written by folks who never even lived in the South, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte