Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
Coming from a Protestant background, I believe the argument here is in regards to the Catholic practice of confession, not to having a priest vs. a pastor leading the congregation.
Well the fella was saying that they (the Baptists) don't need a middleman, the Pope talking to God for them.
Quote:
Once, one of my customers found out I was catholic (he was Baptist) and made a comment to me (when discussing the pope) "we don't need a "middleman", we deal directly to God".
Which of course isn't true in most of the organized religions. There's always a middleman whether that figure is a priest, pastor, rabbi, pope, inman etc...

But to keep the thread on topic one of the big differences I've noticed here regarding religion is that some Southerners go from door to door asking you to come & visit their church & pray with them.

I'm not talking about Jehovah's Witnesses or the bicycle riding Mormons. Although I've never seen the Mormons in Massachusetts. I'm talking about folks who just appear at the door to ask if you want to visit their church & pray.

Initially I found this very intrusive. But upon reflection maybe it was just a gesture of goodwill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
The church I grew up with in CT used to have a Thursday night visitation, where members would go out into the community and knock on doors and try to spread the gospel to anyone who would listen. Similar churches in neighboring towns did the same. We had bible study groups in the High School and early morning prayer meetings before the start of school. This isn't a North/South thing.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:13 PM

299 posts, read 589,758 times
Just to clarify what I meant about religion play a part in this area vs the north (or at least the places in the north where I've lived...which have been a few); in the north talking about religion at all is something that just isn't done. Here, it is done and many people make the assumption that I am religious (using "I" because I can only speak for myself). What shocked me was the number of people who have told me to have a "blessed" day (yes, there is no mal-intent, but it was still a shock to hear), or have said, "Oh, bless your heart" (I'd never heard that one before ever!), or had people remind me to pray for such and such at church on Sunday (!!) or had people physically recoil from me if I happened to admit to being an atheist.

I don't talk about my atheism anymore, btw. I just refer to my family as "secular".
In the north I only ever had to refer to my family as 'my family'.
So, maybe this hasn't happened to everyone here, but it has certainly happened to me, enough for me to be shocked by it and to feel like it is something of note for people moving down and who ask questions like, "Was there any culture shock for you northern transplants?"

Old 01-03-2011, 06:09 PM

239 posts, read 877,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

BTW, you are now "from" Charlotte, not CT.
Never.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yes I do actually...two towns over from me.

Also, it's a very small state, so not much changes from one end to the other.
Not true... What town are you from?

A lot changes...

I lived in 4 towns in CT up until I was 28 and can count on 1 hand the times that neighbors have waved 'just because'. I've NEVER had a neighbor reach out to me out of pure friendliness when moving into a neighborhood. There could be many factors as to why, and I understand that.

It was a culture shock to me, and since I had never experienced it, I posted. It would be silly to think that I was stating that it NEVER happens in CT, but just because it happens to you and in ur neighborhood, doesnt mean it's like that across the board, and yes, vice-versa.

I wish there were stats about this, because surely they would show that it is more common in the South...

Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbangieStomp View Post
Most Southerners would recognize this as an insult towards you that doesn't have anything to do with religion. Maybe you upset some individuals.

Insult? I've always seen is used more as 'aww that/u poor thing'...

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
It's typically an insult.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
... had people physically recoil from me if I happened to admit to being an atheist.

I don't talk about my atheism anymore, btw. I just refer to my family as "secular".
In the north I only ever had to refer to my family as 'my family'.
So, maybe this hasn't happened to everyone here, but it has certainly happened to me, enough for me to be shocked by it and to feel like it is something of note for people moving down and who ask questions like, "Was there any culture shock for you northern transplants?"
When I have to mention it (people coming to my house with pamphlets, those kind of things), people's eyes usually bug out of their heads. I don't talk about it unless, well, forced to. I know how u feel! I think I would have gotten the same reaction back in CT though. Guess it depends on who you deal with day-to-day, u know?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Never.
Glad to see you are assimilating to your new home.

Quote:
Not true... What town are you from?

A lot changes...

I lived in 4 towns in CT up until I was 28 and can count on 1 hand the times that neighbors have waved 'just because'.
Well, I will say that the people of CT are more reactive than active in that way so it may reflect more on the person who is not receiving said friendliness.

I live two towns over from where you "grew up".

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
It's typically an insult.
Bless their hearts.

Quote:
When I have to mention it (people coming to my house with pamphlets, those kind of things), people's eyes usually bug out of their heads.
Oh goodness, if my faith was that shallow...my reaction to someone claiming they are an athiest is more along the lines of this:

I'm sure you feel the same way about my "sky God", but that's another debate.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 10,300 times
We are planning to move from NJ to the Waxhaw area of Union Co. Just spent the holidays in Charlotte with family and visited a few developments and met w/ realtors. Anyone have any inside info on Waxhaw or Shannon Vista homes by Eastwood?

I am wondering what the culture shock will be like when we make the move. Religion, well, we'll have plenty of that to deal with...wife and kids Jewish, I'm Catholic. Looked on Sperlings for Waxhaw; 40% Baptist, 5% Catholic, 0 Jewish.

Certainly noticed everyone waving in the neighborhoods and how much time it takes to get a coffee at Starbucks...not really slower, just more chit-chat...not a lot of talking in line at a Manhattan Starbucks. People are very nice...Wayne, the manager at the Waxhaw Chic-fil-a, was the nicest guy. He was very patient w/ me when I ordered a "black and white" shake and he explained to me that they can't make them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte