Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM

51 posts, read 193,352 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher in Massachusetts - thinking about a move to Charlotte.

From other posts I've read here, it doesn't seem like the Meck school system gets superb ratings - why is that??

Charlotte teachers - what do you like about the school system? What do you dislike? What is most challenging about your job?
How difficult is it for out of state teachers to get a job in the school system?
What is typical for a contract (sick days, personal days, health insurance options... )?

About the school systems -
What are average class sizes/work conditions...??
What neighboring counties do you think have good schools? (specifics?)

Any insight/opinions greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
recommend that you read the hometown newspaper:

thecharlotteobserver.com

Teachers are being laid off consistently. Schools are being closed. The work conditions appear to be deplorable.

I am not a teacher, but, I have great empathy for the teachers in our school system. This is a time of great upheaval and uncertainty in our system.

I doubt that the job prospects are very good since there are so many unemployed teachers now. Even in neighbouring counties, (whose fiscal health is not any better than Mecklenburg's) would be questionable since there is so much upheaval here. (the teachers would migrate there)

You would do good to follow the news and see what is going on before making any kind of decisions.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Most of the school systems are county-wide. Watch their websites. Union county, Cabarras County, Lincoln County, Gaston County, Cleveland County. There might be a 2nd system in Cabarrus County. There are 2 systems in Iredell County. Those are in NC.

Lancaster, York, & Cherokee are Counties in SC

Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 PM

529 posts, read 1,979,372 times
You couldn't pick a worse time to try to get a teaching job in the state of NC. The state has hit the education funding cliff this year and the deepest cuts in history are coming.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
You couldn't pick a worse time to try to get a teaching job in the state of NC. The state has hit the education funding cliff this year and the deepest cuts in history are coming.
You are right. My wife and I have a total of over 50 years of service in CMS and have never seen so many very good experienced,tenured teachers suddenly be fired like they were no better than cafeteria workers. Many have masters degrees too. I cant understand why people up north look at the map and see charlotte and then think its a mecca to give them something they want.....sorry full up .I even hear they plan to start firing bus drivers soon. Teachers coming to charloote wanting to teach may check out the pre school day care centers. if they want to practice teaching here......pays starts at about 5 bucks an hour.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:42 AM

171 posts, read 357,553 times
Not to mention, people are sick and f'ing tired of unions. 2011 is the beginning of the end of unions, and I can't wait.

I f'ing HATE unions. Any industry. Doesn't matter. Unions destroy the American system.

Oh my, the backlash against unions is growing - I'm so f'ing happy that reality will finally hit the union worker.

- DIG!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM

443 posts, read 1,258,298 times
If you come this way, avoid CMS for all the reasons listed and then some. Charter Schools, however, are popular and growing in this region and there are some very, very good one. Consider that path.

Taben

Old 01-02-2011, 07:29 AM

308 posts, read 617,897 times
Charlotte, like the city of Boston, has good schools and bad schools. Over the past decade or so, there has been a huge exodus to private schools which you might also want to consider as a career change. There are some excellent schools in the area. Some are being closed. The ones being closed are the ones with very poor academic performance where the parents are not part of the students education. These schools tried making classroom population very small so that enhanced learning might occur. It made no difference. Naturally, these schools are the ones being closed and unfortunately, these students will be forced upon higher performing schools. Naturally, there are exceptions, but this is the general situation.

Mecklenburg is a huge school district. Iredell, Cabarrus, Union, and York Counties are counties with excellent schools in their districts. They are reasonable commutes from the Charlotte area. You may want to make contact with their district offices. Schools in south Charlotte and the Lake Norman area are very good and should be considered.

An old friend teaches in Salem, Mass. and has taught in other schools in the Boston area. It isn't much different here. The pay is about the same. I am not familiar with retirement income, etc. There is more of a demand for science and math teachers than social studies teachers, so if you do have certification in math or science, you will get a job eventually, depending on your experience, etc.

I have noticed that there are habitual pessimists on this thread. Take them with a grain of salt and use common sense and do some research on your own. Good luck. There are options here despite talks of massive lay offs that end up being mostly talk.

Native Chief: Just an update: Most teachers today need a master's degree to be competitive. Specialization is the major consideration in acquiring a teaching position. Just being certified doesn't guarantee a job. Your comparison of teachers to kitchen workers in school was a bit demeaning for kitchen workers, they are important too. And, the minimum wage in North Carolina s $7.25 per hour. The only people that make $5. per hour are waiters and illegal immigrants.

Last edited by newcomerfromuk; 01-02-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I cant understand why people up north look at the map and see charlotte and then think its a mecca to give them something they want.....sorry full up .
If the teachers' unions in NY are so good I can not help but wonder why so many teachers from the Northeast and Ohio want to get here, unless it is because unions won't allow many to be fired, keeping new teachers from getting their foot in the door.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Teachers coming to charloote wanting to teach may check out the pre school day care centers. if they want to practice teaching here......pays starts at about 5 bucks an hour.
I know you meant this as an exaggeration, but I'd just like to point out that it's a huge one. I used to work in the field, and still have several friends in it, and it pays quite well here. I made more than some CMS teachers I know, and had full benefits as well. While I didn't have summers off, we did have spring break and two full weeks at Christmas, paid. There were several certified teachers working there, even a couple with masters degrees.

Depending on your teaching/certification area (mine is early childhood), you can find a preschool with several pre-k or transitional kindergarten classes and have just as fulfilling and profitable a job as you would in the public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte