Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 AM

45 posts, read 90,387 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to either South Charlotte or Union County this summer. We hope to be moved before the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year. After researching this site over the past couple of months it has come to my attention that the NC school districts have the potential to change quite frequently. I find this very worrisome for my children. I know that children are quite resilient, but I also know that children tend to fair better in a stable, reliable environment. I think it would be distressing to have to change schools and form new friendships so often.

Does anyone know of a more stable area with less of a chance of school reassignment or is that non-existent in NC? In South Charlotte we are looking at Providence Plantation and in Union we are looking in the Marvin Ridge and Weddington areas (would probably prefer Union).

I know there are many transplants on this site. How have you handled this situation if you have been through reassignment? How did it effect your children? We want to make sure we will be receiving the best possible education for our children without the added expense of private school tuition.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,641 times
Providence Plantation is one of the limited subdivisions that feeds into Providence Springs, a top notch CMS elementary school. It is doubtful that the lines will be redrawn to exclude some houses in the neighborhood. Lines were redrawn years ago for this school. Not familiar with Union practices.

FYI: if you live extremely close to the school in question it is unlikely you will attend a school further away. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbound4NC View Post
We are considering a move to either South Charlotte or Union County this summer. We hope to be moved before the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year. After researching this site over the past couple of months it has come to my attention that the NC school districts have the potential to change quite frequently. I find this very worrisome for my children. I know that children are quite resilient, but I also know that children tend to fair better in a stable, reliable environment. I think it would be distressing to have to change schools and form new friendships so often.

Does anyone know of a more stable area with less of a chance of school reassignment or is that non-existent in NC? In South Charlotte we are looking at Providence Plantation and in Union we are looking in the Marvin Ridge and Weddington areas (would probably prefer Union).

I know there are many transplants on this site. How have you handled this situation if you have been through reassignment? How did it effect your children? We want to make sure we will be receiving the best possible education for our children without the added expense of private school tuition.

Your odds of having to change schools are higher in that section of Union County. With the extreme growth there many new schools have been built.

South Charlotte will be more stable and have a much smaller chance of boundries being redrawn, especially in Providence Plantation because the city is well established there and no new schools are being built.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:42 PM

120 posts, read 237,994 times
Default moresville

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbound4NC View Post

in union county they r always changing things i have been looking in moorsville up by lake norman...it very nice area schools r great

Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 PM

149 posts, read 275,417 times
If you want Union county..two neighborhoods in particular come to mind where it would be hard to get rezoned - The Chimmneys and The Reserve are very close to the elem and Marvin Ridge middle/high schools.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
Where will work be?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:30 PM

45 posts, read 90,387 times
Thank you all for your responses. I am glad to hear that I don't have to rule out Union Co. I really think that is where we might be happiest.

And no work for the moment. My husband is retiring. I will probably look into something part-time, but that probably won't be for a couple of years, after the youngest starts school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: