U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM

670 posts, read 1,068,102 times

Advertisements

I've been contemplating a move further North, I miss 4 seasons, friends in NOVA,etc. I have read great things about Charlotte and actually wanted to move there before moving to Tampa. Tampa doesnt seem to be a good fit for me being a young african american professional. It is rather hard to make friends here as well. However, there are things that I love about Tampa too though so I want to be sure that I dont make any hasty moves. Economy wise, they may be in the same boat. Cost of living wise, I think NC is cheaper than FL which is what makes the move even more attractive to me. Anyone ever relocate from Florida to Charlotte? If so, what are your thoughts? Any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:06 PM

229 posts, read 230,905 times
Let me start out by saying that I have relocated 11 times in the last 25 years. I have lived all over the country. The one thing I have learned is that any place you live has its good and bad points.... My Wife and I relocated from the Tampa area to Charlotte eight months ago and could not be happier. We loved the Tampa area and would not have moved if it was not for a corporate relocation and big promotion. A few random things we have noticed:

People- The Charlotte area has some of the nicest people! They are great.

Weather- Awesome. As a former resident of Phoenix and Tampa, I get a good laugh when people here complain about the heat in the Summer.

Lifestyle- Charlotte offers everything you have in Tampa (the beach is only a few hours away), plus the mountains.

Taxes- Wow... brace yourself, the poor people of this state and city are being TAXED TO DEATH compared to Florida. It is time for tax revolt here...

Employment- Do not quit a job down there before you have one up here.

Housing- A much more stable market than Tampa.

Overall- we love it here!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,510,669 times
Default Agree!

I have to agree with many of the points brought up by Semperparatus...the only difference is I didnt move directly from Tampa to Charlotte (had a couple of stops in between). I happened to really love Tampa, but I can understand some of the points you are making: Have family in central VA, and got tired of the long distance to see them.

I do like Charlotte, and let me add that I think the traffic here is nowhere near as bad as Tampa's...

Old 01-04-2011, 08:31 PM

670 posts, read 1,068,102 times
Default Thanks for the feedback!

Semper- Thanks for the detailed comparison! The tax thing has me scratching my head bc I escaped state and personal property taxes when I left VA so......def NOT feeling that.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM

8,155 posts, read 18,619,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Semper- Thanks for the detailed comparison! The tax thing has me scratching my head bc I escaped state and personal property taxes when I left VA so......def NOT feeling that.
Charlotte is on the SC border. Not sure how much better that will be or the laws on income tax if you work in NC, but I do know they are taxed less.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on how you are affected by NC taxes when living in SC.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM

8 posts, read 18,513 times
Hello,

I used to call Tampa my stomping grounds when I attended USF (great school). It was an exciting city, growing, and lots of things to do. I haven't been back in ages, but I've heard that it has grown alot. I recently moved here from Jacksonville, and am a little shocked by the higher taxes, gas prices, and retail costs (a little bit more expensive than FL for the same thing). But, I do however, really appreciate the lower shelter costs here. What I pay for rent here in an area called Southpark Charlotte is considerably lower than a mediocre living space in Florida in a not so nice area.
I really LOVE it here. I appreciate each time I hop in the car and am greeted by the trees cascading the roadside, the inviting scenery, and there are more than enough things to do--family speaking. You can't put a value on that.

I can't really speak on being single in Charlotte, but I guess it would be similar to most places.

We kinda just moved here all willy nilly--no family or friends. But, honestly, this is the best place I think I've ever lived. It's beautiful, inviting, everything I need is close by, and I just appreciate the city and all it has to offer. Now if only I could find a job...

If you do decide to make the move, listen to what the vast majority are advising----SECURE A JOB FIRST! After than, the rest is cake. Take care and good luck!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM

31 posts, read 57,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Charlotte is on the SC border. Not sure how much better that will be or the laws on income tax if you work in NC, but I do know they are taxed less.

Perhaps someone else can chime in on how you are affected by NC taxes when living in SC.
If you work in NC and live in SC, you pay NC taxes on your employment income, so you don't really get the benefit of the lower SC tax rates unless you have a fair amount of passive income, which would be taxed in the state you live in.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 24,386 times
so glad to read you my husband and i are from miami we were beetween Charlotte or Tampa so because yoy have been in both citiies could help us we made research already but still indecided we are both in restaurant industry love sun we are hard workers what is the best living economic and renting condition thank for any tips

Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 AM

9 posts, read 24,386 times
we are planning to move by august in Charlottee any good advice what about integrity in job i am asking because we are working in restaurant industry and we came from france 15 years ago we are right now in miami but want a sofer life where peolpe love work food and good life thanks for any tips for jobs research and renting advice

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 AM

308 posts, read 530,645 times
Tampa is a great place that has it all for children, ie. Busch Gardens, close to Disney, near the beach and other assets. The cost of housing is also reasonable in Tampa. Great place.

Charlotte is close to the mountains, a three plus hour drive to the beach, has reasonable housing without the insurance premiums in Florida, a vibrant uptown that is improving constantly, several college choices and good schools in some areas. There is a variety of weather to enjoy here and mountain skiing within two hours.

It all boils down to whether one prefers Charlotte type weather or Tampa weather, living next to the beach or living 3 1/2 hours from it but close to the mountains and a day drive from many large northeastern cities. Most other factors are pretty similar. Driving around Charlotte is generally easy and the layout of roads ensures that you can be any place within 20 minutes if not during rush hour.

I personally prefer Charlotte because of the convenience of international flights to European destinations and the ease of leaving my car that the airport which is probably one of the cheapest in the U.S. I also enjoy the weather as well. Winters here are almost like they are in my native London without as many rainy days. There is lots to do in Charlotte and the people are very friendly for such a varied population. But, Tampa is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte