Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think a nutritionist might be a bit of overkill. Have you tried following a simple eating plan like the Zone Diet or something similar? If so, what were your results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times
PBS had several shows this past week discussing nutrition, any of those books/DVDs would be good. Basically if it is pre-prepared, comes in a box or bag (not including frozen veggies), or has added sugar don't eat it. Definitely no soda, minimal diary, and look for dense breads (if it is full of air like white break it has a high glycemic load..look for pita breads and ryes)...eat like they ate in the 50s

Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
PBS had several shows this past week discussing nutrition, any of those books/DVDs would be good. Basically if it is pre-prepared, comes in a box or bag (not including frozen veggies), or has added sugar don't eat it. Definitely no soda, minimal diary, and look for dense breads (if it is full of air like white break it has a high glycemic load..look for pita breads and ryes)...eat like they ate in the 50s
Agreed, although I would try to remove *any* breads as much as possible.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Honestly, I think a nutritionist might be a bit of overkill. Have you tried following a simple eating plan like the Zone Diet or something similar? If so, what were your results?
I think everyone's bodies are so different that someone who is an expert can help. While all of this advice is good {eat less calories than you burn}, sometimes you need some guidance, a push and some support.

Best of luck to you!! I know how hard of a struggle this is.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I think everyone's bodies are so different that someone who is an expert can help. While all of this advice is good {eat less calories than you burn}, sometimes you need some guidance, a push and some support.

Best of luck to you!! I know how hard of a struggle this is.
I agree 100%, which is why I said it *may* be overkill. I'm not sure the OP needs the help of a nutritionist to accomplish his/her goals, but it certainly wouldn't hurt! It will just cost more.

I, *personally*, would try to modify my diet by following some "one size fits all" guidelines first and see where that got me. That's just my $.02, though.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
I've had several friends lose a bunch of weight with Crossfit. It's basically P90x at a gym, so since you said you need the motivation, this may be the way to go.

They followed a paleo-diet and did their Crossfit workouts and dropped weight very quickly. They also made a bunch of friends at the gym. Hooligan is telling you the truth, at least from what I hear, it's a very supportive and fun place to work out.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,956 times
I had a tough time getting motivated to lose the weight I needed to lose, but several friends of mine had done Medi Weight Loss and were very pleased with it. Fed up, I went to a doctor and asked him to check my thyroid. He tested it, but knew (based on some simple diagnostic stuff during the exam) that wasn't my problem. He recommended Medi Weight Loss clinic to me too, saying that the best way I could lose the weight would be to cut out carbs.

I started at MWL on 9/20 and to date have lost nearly 30 pounds. I have maybe 10-20 left to go, so like you I wasn't looking at a hundred pounds or anything. I just wasn't able to get started, and MWL helped me do that.

You meet with a dietician and weigh in weekly. It is a medical program, so they do bloodwork at your initial visit, and re-do bloodwork every 30 pounds. My clinic also takes photos at the start, and at every 30 pounds lost. The cost is $70 a week for me to go, which seemed expensive to me, but if you're considering dropping $2.5k on a 5 day program, this might be a better, lower cost route that will get you ongoing feedback and accountability.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:56 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
First thing is you DO NOT need to sign any friggin contracts to reach your goal. Dont do it..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,818 times
I will help you lose weight for free. Do these few things and it will happen

1. Exercise one hour a day at least four days a week. run, jog, bike, swim, aerobics, etc........ Anything to get that heart rate up. Throw in a little weight training and you will be good to go.

2. Stop eating at restaurants all the time if this is something you do. Even if it is healthy, the portions are so big you are still eating way too many calories for a meal. (NEVER EVER EAT FAST FOOD)

3. Stop eating just because it's there to eat. Say no to junk food. Stop eating before bedtime.

4. Anything that has a low fat, no fat, no sugar, etc. and you can tolerate it, eat it.

5. Stop drinking calories. Soda, sweet tea, coffee with cream and sugar, and all that other stuff that is packed with sugar. Many people drink 1000 calories a day or better.

6. Know what you are eating. Remember what I said about big portions? Even a salad is way high in calories once it is loaded with dressing, cheese, croutons, and meat can be a 1500 calorie meal loaded with fat.

7. Don't totally punish yourself. Have a cheat day once a week but don't go crazy. Have that cake, cookie, or ice cream but don't have all three.

We are only supposed to be eating 2000 calories a day. Most of of Americans eat three times that a day.

One more thing--------Losing weight in not a diet. It's a life style change.

I said I would help for free but if you wanna donate a little of that $2500 my way for this great advice, I will give you my address.

Last edited by wevie; 01-04-2011 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: One more thing

Old 01-04-2011, 04:28 PM

689 posts, read 1,657,183 times
I completely disagree with the low fat, no fat, no sugar thing.
But that is where a professional would come in handy...what do I know? I do agree that it can be done for way less than $2500. Spend that money on good for you {not diet} food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte