U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 AM

1,367 posts, read 3,501,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I just drove through Kannapolis this weekend, looking for a place for a retirement home. The downtown looked like a ghost town. Why are there so many vacant store fronts?
It's complicated.

So far as I understand, the town area was built in the 80s when Murdock bought the Cannon Mill. The town area (known as Cannon Village) was built as a furniture and decorating outlet area, and supposedly the stores were filled and it did well. When the mill closed in 2003 about 7,000 people were laid off. Without the mill there and with such massive unemployment, stores began to shut down.

Starting in 2005, Murdock began building/opening a huge research campus (focused on nutrition and agriculture) on the site where the mill used to be. However, the recession and budget cuts with universities has seriously slowed the development of the research campus.... it's coming along, but slower than expected since there's not as much money for doing research now.

The research campus has brought some jobs, but with unemployment still high there's not a lot of demand for retail. Without the mill & textile outlet, the concept of Cannon Village as a furniture/textile destination didn't make much sense and most of those stores have closed. They are now hoping to open more stores & restaurants and make it just a regular town area. A coffee shop opened recently, there's plans for a pub, etc.

It's sad, because when the town hosts specific events there like classic car nights or the annual film fest the town is bustling & you can tell people here want stuff to do there! I think it will come along, but as with everything since the recession very slowly.

I do highly recommend trying Restaurant 46 though. My husband swears their filet is better than any he's had in any of the famous steakhouses of Charlotte, Chicago, or NYC. It's a little pricey but the service & food are excellent and if you live in Cabarrus easier than going into Charlotte!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:27 AM

188 posts, read 182,642 times
i lived in ktown for many years so maybe i can shed some light on the town for you. Kannapolis is/was a very conservative town and it fought growth for alot of years. The older generations fought liquor by the drink and alot of the new restaurants and businesses went to concord. As mentioned earlier, the mill shut down and all of a sudden you have alot of people out of work. There are some high crime areas but there is not alot of new construction. Irish Creek was suppose to attract executives and higher income housing but the economy collapsed and the developement never took off. There are plenty of charming older neighborhoods that are very affordable and they are full of hard working blue collar people. ( Car town, Jackson Park, etc. ) Here in the last 10 years there has been a huge migration of latino people into the town. I looked at the census and just laugh when they give the # of latinos in town. The Western side of town is very rural and if you like country life then you will love it out there. ( Enochville area) The Western side of town has been helped tremendously by the Kannapolis Parkway. The parkway can get you to interstate 85 quickly. The eastern side of town has some developement with a new walmart, plenty of restaurants etc.
I have moved from Kannapolis and now i live in Cornelius but i like Kannapolis and for the most part there are alot of good people out there. IF you are looking for a fast moving suburb of Charlotte, then look at Mooresville, Concord etc. If you want things at a slower pace, then Ktown is a good option.
Sorry this was sooo long!!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 8,273 times
Can anyone tell me more about Clermont Avenue Kannapolis, NC 28081 as I'm looking into Visiting the Place to Buy a Home also what are the schools like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte