Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:08 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I go to the BJ's in Concord Mills, always busy there. I buy almost all of my meat there, the rest I buy @ Compare. Wouldnt shop somplace that I couldnt use my Debit card at though (like Costco)...
Costco takes debit cards, American express and cash/check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
I usually shop at Sams (convenience) and they take Discover and Visa plus debit cards, cash/check. I divide my time between there and Aldi with the occasional stop at Walmart.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
I'm surprised. The Pineville store is always busy. But I suppose that stretch of Independence is somewhat vacant?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I'm surprised. The Pineville store is always busy. But I suppose that stretch of Independence is somewhat vacant?
That entire stretch is declining from Sardis Rd N all the way past the Bojangles Colosseum. There are huge vacant big box stores dotting that stretch of Independence. Its getting so that the only things that can survive out there are used car dealerships, international grocery stores, discount clothing stores, and consignment stores. Does anybody have any idea how/why that area has declined so far and is there anything that can save it?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
That entire stretch is declining from Sardis Rd N all the way past the Bojangles Colosseum. There are huge vacant big box stores dotting that stretch of Independence. Its getting so that the only things that can survive out there are used car dealerships, international grocery stores, discount clothing stores, and consignment stores. Does anybody have any idea how/why that area has declined so far and is there anything that can save it?
Several reasons. I've been near that side of town most of my adult life:

1. Traffic. At one time it was terrible from Sardis Road North all the way to downtown, coming and going depending on the time of day. I've had many people, going back many years, tell me they avoid that side of town because of the traffic.

2. To correct the traffic, many of the businesses from Briar Creek towards the city were bought for ROW for the Independence expressway. Side roads were closed off from Independence. The remaining businesses wilted because of lack of access, and people who used to shop there now had no reason to.

3. Many empty buildings. No one wants to be around vacant buildings.

4. Undesirable element.

There are other reasons, I'm sure. All of these issues feed on and multiply each other.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
No more BJs on Independence? Drat...

Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I usually shop at Sams (convenience) and they take Discover and Visa plus debit cards, cash/check. I divide my time between there and Aldi with the occasional stop at Walmart.
Sam's only takes Visa credit cards at the gas pumps. Inside, they take MasterCard, Discover, or debit.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times
I never liked how Costco only took American Express, esp at the gas pumps. My mom had to go inside Costco, get a pre-paid Costco card, and then get the gas.

Im content with Walmart and Bi-Lo.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 AM

196 posts, read 428,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I never liked how Costco only took American Express, esp at the gas pumps. My mom had to go inside Costco, get a pre-paid Costco card, and then get the gas.

Im content with Walmart and Bi-Lo.
I regularily buy gas at Costco and I don't even have an AmEx card- they take debit.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
I regularily buy gas at Costco and I don't even have an AmEx card- they take debit.
My parents dont use a debit card, so you had to go inside and pay first. Would seem to be more sensible to have a small booth at the pumps with someone who can take cash. Ofcourse, my parents are old school and most people have debit cards now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte