U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,387,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
Ex-LI, I think you need a job in civil engineering for CLT! I like it!
Lily, it's just common sense. And I know that if 'they' tried a large project like this, the NIMBYs would complain about losing the view due the elevated rail. What's worse, miles of empty and burnt out buildings?

I've been here 15 years, and in that time the section of Independence between Sharon Amity and Matthews has not really changed that much. The empty stores and car lots have been there. Maybe not as many, or not in the same place, but it's been a sea of concrete and asphalt waiting for 'something' to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,363,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Elevated rail with park-n-ride lots at the major intersections. Build a multi-rail system so that you can have express trains to certain stops, unlike South Blvd. Put neighborhood retail, condos and rentals at the non park-and-ride stops. Finally build the freeway out to 485.

There are enough empty car dealers, empty strip malls, and open lots that they could do it without disrupting businesses that are doing well out there.
The city will get right on that after it spends $175 million to extend the "expressway" two miles. Once that's done, there will be even fewer businesses to worry about, and Independence Boulevard will be officially dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Independence is not a very desirable area so new desirable retailers are not going to set up there. It's a catch-22. I think Independence is becoming the Southside's equivalent of Freedom Dr.
It's actually more Eastside, aaiiiggghhht?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM

1,554 posts, read 2,931,122 times
Freedom and Independance. The irony isn't lost on me.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM

I drove by the BJ's on Independence tonight at about 7:00, and it looked open and lit up. Fire couldn't have been too bad.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:22 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,503,671 times
Found out this BJ's was a old Richway store, which when target bought it out, abandon it to build a new store. BJ's took over at some point and now, they are abandoning it.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Found out this BJ's was a old Richway store, which when target bought it out, abandon it to build a new store. BJ's took over at some point and now, they are abandoning it.
The original Richway building operated as a Target store until some time in the late 1990s. Toward the end the inside of this Target looked like something out of an episode of "Hoarders". It was only a matter of time before it closed.

BJ's knocked down the original building to build their store.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,057,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
The original Richway building operated as a Target store until some time in the late 1990s.
That was a really nice Richway back in the late 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte