Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times

Advertisements

Hi I am new to this...I was wondering if anyone can help us out. My family is relocated from NJ and we are looking at Union County area of Charlotte. We have visited numerous communities and have narrowed it down to a few, If you live in the area and are familiar with the developments please respond Thank you in advance.

Lawson, love the trees, ammenities not built but should be by the time we move down...Seems to have lots of young families with kids...

Somerset, Close to shopping, very nice neighborhood

Hunter Oaks, same as above

Chimneys at Marvin, same as above...close to schools

Any input on any of these would be wonderful, Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 03:24 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,312,397 times
I live in Hunter Oaks and decided to after axing the chimneys. we are so glad that we did, we just love it here and love our home....U definately get more for your money on a resale here and more sq footage...somerset is like Hunter Oaks and across the street...very nice and let me tell u about shopping wow talk about close...Love it. our house is 5.5 yrs old..The chimneys is beautiful no trees, very strict HOA as our friends/x-neighbors just moved in, pretty house but personally alot of money for it....and the HOA fees are high..1200 a year...Dont know what your price range is...the Elem school for Hunter oaks, somerset, longview and Walden at providence will be Rea View Elem, Middle is Marvin Ridge, and HS is Marvin Ridge.. If you like the Chimneys u might want to consider The Reserve, also Sandy Ridge Elem, excellent, Marvin Ridge Middle and Marvin Ridge hs...I dont know anything about lawson except they are on the list for not being able to build phase 2 of the sub-division, and the school assignments will be changing next year...I have an awesome realtor if interested Just pm me...

Good Luck to you as we are from NJ as well

Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM

396 posts, read 1,626,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
I live in Hunter Oaks and decided to after axing the chimneys. we are so glad that we did, we just love it here and love our home....U definately get more for your money on a resale here and more sq footage...somerset is like Hunter Oaks and across the street...very nice and let me tell u about shopping wow talk about close...Love it. our house is 5.5 yrs old..The chimneys is beautiful no trees, very strict HOA as our friends/x-neighbors just moved in, pretty house but personally alot of money for it....and the HOA fees are high..1200 a year...Dont know what your price range is...the Elem school for Hunter oaks, somerset, longview and Walden at providence will be Rea View Elem, Middle is Marvin Ridge, and HS is Marvin Ridge.. If you like the Chimneys u might want to consider The Reserve, also Sandy Ridge Elem, excellent, Marvin Ridge Middle and Marvin Ridge hs...I dont know anything about lawson except they are on the list for not being able to build phase 2 of the sub-division, and the school assignments will be changing next year...I have an awesome realtor if interested Just pm me...

Staci really is an excellent source for info on those neighborhoods as she's spent....oh I don't know...a whole year looking for a house!!! I absolutely agree with her that you get more for your money in Union Co. by purchasing a re-sale. That's what we did this spring too. Good luck.

Sara

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM

Thanks Sara I appriciate it dh wants me to get my license im not interested though, I did enough of real estate in NJ for 6 years...that is funny cause dh just said that to one of our neighbors that we finally spoke too..lol

Old 07-17-2007, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post

Thanks I apprecaite your input...funny thought I was just redaing some negatives about Hunter oaks and Somerset, I heard Somerset was kind of stuffy not a great community for young poeple with kids and Hunter Oaks you have to be careful where you buy apparently there are good sections and not so good sections I guess...You say you live in Hunter oaks, What section? How is your section? Do you like it?

Chimneys is very nice however it's one builder and my only concern there is I like variety that comes with large Developments like Lawson with 6 builders, seems there is different styles which makes it seem more like a neighborhood than a community!

I read a while back about the Sewer Plant, many things are affected by that issue and I am sure it'll all be worked out. I was told in the final phases of Lawson will be Customs homes priced around 1 Million thats great for neighborhood value...I think thatas where I am leaning, I haven't heard anything negative about Lawson as I have with other neighborhoods. I know you can't believe everything you hear but I take it all and process whats best for our family....

So another NJ'er fleeing the State...Where abouts in NJ were you from, we are from Edison near Metuchen. We sold out house in 1 week (yes even in this Market) and renting it for 2 weeks (It's wierd to rent your own house)then we'll come down and really scope the area out we just wanted a head start...

Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Emy

113 posts, read 407,940 times
Default Lawson

Hi,
We live in Lawson and love it. We moved here from California about two months ago. I read what everyone is saying about resales but the builders here are offering amazing deals right now. We live in an Orleans home and love it. There are tons of kids on our street. St.Lawrence is a great builder here too. They have several spec homes for sale. I know Orleans has one spec house left. It's on a great lot, completely wooded basement lot. RYland and SHea are also srill building here. I prefer Orleans and St.Lawrence. Ryland has smaller lots and Shea doesn't deal on price at all. The pool area is very close to being done. We have amazing trails. We see deer all the time. Some of the hoa rules are a little funny that's my only thing I can even sort of complain about. They are very strict on fences and where play structures can be put in your yard. You can't have a trampoline here which I think is weird. We are very close to the Cureton shopping center. There is a Harris Teeter, several food places, cleaners, small gym and ice cream going in. We are also close to downtown Waxhaw with great antique stores, restaurants and a very fun ice cream parlor. My husbamd works in the Southpark area. It takes him about 20-25 minutes to get to work taking back roads. I definitely wouldn't take Providence all the way for anything because it gets backed up. If you want any other info I would be happy to help. Just pm me. Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 11:26 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,744,887 times
Hey Andy!
I lived in Edison for ten years. Now, I live in Union County (Stallings).
I wish you much luck in your search. PM me if you'd like information about my little area here.

By the way, Matthews is like a mini Metuchen. The downtown area is very small, but the feel of the town is similar. Well, I guess similar to the way Metuchen was 15 years ago. Yikes, I'm showing my age....

Oh, hi Stacey! Hope you and yours are doing well.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Andy, im in the ryland section its not the nicest however I its only 2 blocks and honestly My house is slamming...well I mean it has every upgrade u can think of TONS AND TONS of young families and KIds so my 12 yr old well thats rough but my 8 year old dd is in girl heaven as she has made alot of friends...Hunter Oaks is Hunter Oaks across the street are the Oreleans and the Shea homes and well I live in my house and not outside my house so to speak, its everything we wanted and spent what we wanted to and never imagined having the inside be like what we have as we came from very large homes in NJ we lived in Millstone Twp in Monmouth county we had built a house there we lived in Manalapan and then Jackson...so we knew what we wanted in a home and if I tell you from Dec, Feb and April there was NOTHING that we liked except for the Reserve but the ones we did like had offers in already and or We hadnt sold our house at that time....from a resale point as far as area Hunter Oaks happens to be the most popular amoungst most people as well as the Reserve..I wanted this area for close to shopping, commuting for dh, and most importantly the schools..I found that No development is perfect u can live in the most beautiful section of somewhere and hate it, we love where we are so what else can I say...also it depends on what your price range is and what you are looking for..we looked up to 450k and didnt like what we saw on a resale, dh didnt want to build again as also the unknown....If I wanted to he would have but we both kept coming back to this house...we have 3125 sq ft wrought Iron balastars wood stairs, hardwood floors throughout family room has carpet and living room...guest bedroom downstairs with bathroom..I have a total of 4 bedrooms plus a huge bonus room and the guest bedroom downstairs...Media room, surround sound throught the house oh how I LOVE my music...lol...i have crown molding waines coating Its just beautiful and I have one of the best lots in Hunter Oaks even if some consider it the ok section...we have 4 homes on my block and 1 around the corner that just went up for sale...so we are excited here as we will be getting all new people which could be a great thing...anyway, that sums it up..You can PM me if interested in more on the neighborhood, actually there are quiet a few on this board that bought and live in Hunter Oaks as well...We plan on being here for long time to come

Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM

Ms Charlotte my friend, so when are we going for lunch?????

Old 07-17-2007, 08:39 PM

117 posts, read 404,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndytoNC View Post
Thanks I apprecaite your input...funny thought I was just redaing some negatives about Hunter oaks and Somerset, I heard Somerset was kind of stuffy not a great community for young poeple with kids and Hunter Oaks you have to be careful where you buy apparently there are good sections and not so good sections I guess...You say you live in Hunter oaks, What section? How is your section? Do you like it?

Chimneys is very nice however it's one builder and my only concern there is I like variety that comes with large Developments like Lawson with 6 builders, seems there is different styles which makes it seem more like a neighborhood than a community!

I read a while back about the Sewer Plant, many things are affected by that issue and I am sure it'll all be worked out. I was told in the final phases of Lawson will be Customs homes priced around 1 Million thats great for neighborhood value...I think thatas where I am leaning, I haven't heard anything negative about Lawson as I have with other neighborhoods. I know you can't believe everything you hear but I take it all and process whats best for our family....

So another NJ'er fleeing the State...Where abouts in NJ were you from, we are from Edison near Metuchen. We sold out house in 1 week (yes even in this Market) and renting it for 2 weeks (It's wierd to rent your own house)then we'll come down and really scope the area out we just wanted a head start...

Hello Fellow NJer, I too lived in Edison, my son went to preschool in Metuchen and my mom worked at St. Francis Cathedral in Metuchen for many years. Small world. Welcome to Charlotte, you will love it here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte