Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM

387 posts, read 615,534 times

Advertisements

There are quite a few asian Indians in charlotte as a result of BOA, Wachovia(Now Wells Fargo), TIAA - CREF, Duke's energy. Those in IT make up the vast majority of the Asian Indian population. I doubt if even a handful of them (especially families) stay uptown, ie either of the 4 wards. Reason is uptown has a lot more apartments or expensive homes (as in Dilworth - which is a more settled neighbourhood (read old and established - not a negative factor infact hugely popular).

Asian Indians started coming in largely after 1996-98 and went for single family homes in the suburbs of Charlotte. If you will be working uptown then read through this forum and you will find a wealth of information about the different living areas and good schools. Indians can be found in all areas but in varying number. For eg you will find a lot of them in University Area, Steel Creek, Bally Town but lesser in say Mecklenburgh. The lesser numbers can be attributed to either one of the two factors, can they find enough of their own (because kids in school need to make friends) or how safe the area is.

The above thesis has been greatly possible due to my love of indian food and making Indian friends as a result of my apetite for a good curry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I checked on google for you and found out that there is a tribe of Indians living near Rock Hill SC only a few miles away. check out www.catawbaindians.com.......glad to help BIG WELCOME to you
There you go...a BIG WELCOME from the Native Chief himself!!!....Native Chief you are a true Indian welcoming another with a true sense of "hospitality"

Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
"eg you will find a lot of them in University Area, Steel Creek, Bally Town but lesser in say Mecklenburgh."

What in the Sam Hill does this mean? The University area and Steele (with an e at the end) Creek are both in Mecklenburg, which doesn't end with an h. If by Bally Town you mean Ballantyne, that too is in Mecklenburg County. if you're unfamiliar with the area, perhaps you're not the best candidate for giving out advice to a newcomer.

There are Indian people all over Charlotte. I know there are several Indian families in a nice neighborhood in South Charlotte called Chadwyck. Not sure how many families but I always see groups of Indian men and women of all ages walking, pushing strollers, etc. thru that neighborhood. My kids went to the elementary school and middle school that that neighborhood is zoned for (Olde Providence and Carmel Middle) and there are lots of Indian students in both schools.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
This is an older thread, but there are more recent replies starting on page 2:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...americans.html

Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Chuckles34. You are right about the spellings.

The point I was trying to make was there is more concentration in certain areas than others. Its not as evenly spread out in all parts of Charlotte. Indians graviate towards certain areas that are closer to uptown. It was my mistake to say Mecklenburg(no 'h') I wanted to point out Huntersville. But then having moved out Charlotte after a 3 years stay should disqualify me from providing information on a public forum.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I'm waiting for someone to give the OP a hard time for looking for an area that has other Indian families.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Why would anyone give the OP a hard time about his/her request? What's wrong with it? if I was moving to Charlotte from another country and knew no one, I'd jump at the opportunity to live near a concentration of people who spoke my language, understood my customs and culture, ate the same foods that I was familiar with. It would be very comforting to get advice from the people who had been here for a while.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I don't see a problem with it. However, I often see people giving posters with this type a request a hard time.

However, I've been told "that only happens when AMERICANS want to live only by certain other Americans - we can all understand another nationality wanting to be with others from their home country".

So I guess shared culture only counts for something if you aren't an American citizen.

I don't want to side track the thread, so carry on. Maybe I've spent too much time housebound with the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Why would anyone give the OP a hard time about his/her request? What's wrong with it? if I was moving to Charlotte from another country and knew no one, I'd jump at the opportunity to live near a concentration of people who spoke my language, understood my customs and culture, ate the same foods that I was familiar with. It would be very comforting to get advice from the people who had been here for a while.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,729 times
There are a lot of indian's in my apartment complex but we are located in the Univeristy Area.....very quiet Moderator cut: tos violation Good places to eat indian cuisine too!!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-14-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte