U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 02:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times

Advertisements

Way to go the city of Mooresville of getting ranking 65 in Money Magazine top 100 best places to live
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Mooresville, NC snapshot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 PM

477 posts, read 877,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Way to go the city of Mooresville of getting ranking 65 in Money Magazine top 100 best places to live
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Mooresville, NC snapshot
Who ever was behind that report must have been connected to NASCAR and high on exhaust fumes while sitting in the traffic...and gazing at the lovely sights, like... um... ugly strip... after more ugly strip.

And hey... if you so desire, and y'all are a Yankee... you can meander downtown to the old section of Mooresville... where y'all will be treated with open arms. Maybe. But you know, I don't blame them. Damn Yanks, driving up the cost of living... I can relate. But seriously, the only thing relatively cool that I can see about Mooresville (the old part)... is a really neat Coca-Cola advertisement painted in retro style on a side of a building there. Beyond that.... eh. It's not a horrible place, of course.... but....

If Mooresville, NC is on the list of the best places to live in the United States, well... that is pretty sad, actually.

And PS: If you want a really special treat... go to the Mooresville DMV sometime! Ah ha. Now, of course, all DMV's in any state... have there own special place in hell... but... just try the one there sometime.... it's run by women that look like Aunt Bee on steriods... with uniforms. And a whole lot of attitude....so... just make sure you practice your "suthen" accent before going in there.... wink wink.

Last edited by Berkshires413; 07-16-2007 at 09:24 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 13,638,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
Who ever was behind that report must have been connected to NASCAR and high on exhaust fumes while sitting in the traffic...and gazing at the lovely sights, like... um... ugly strip... after more ugly strip.

And hey... if you so desire, and y'all are a Yankee... you can meander downtown to the old section of Mooresville... where y'all will be treated with open arms. Maybe. But you know, I don't blame them. Damn Yanks, driving up the cost of living... I can relate. But seriously, the only thing relatively cool that I can see about Mooresville (the old part)... is a really neat Coca-Cola advertisement painted in retro style on a side of a building there. Beyond that.... eh. It's not a horrible place, of course.... but....

If Mooresville, NC is on the list of the best places to live in the United States, well... that is pretty sad, actually.

And PS: If you want a really special treat... go to the Mooresville DMV sometime! Ah ha. Now, of course, all DMV's in any state... have there own special place in hell... but... just try the one there sometime.... it's run by women that look like Aunt Bee on steriods... with uniforms. And a whole lot of attitude....so... just make sure you practice your "suthen" accent before going in there.... wink wink.

Ok you stole my post from months ago. I brought up that Mooresville DMV and I described them as a rude Mayberry.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 PM

477 posts, read 877,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Ok you stole my post from months ago. I brought up that Mooresville DMV and I described them as a rude Mayberry.

I hope you are kidding, but if you are not.... I assure you that I missed that post... maybe we are just kindred spirits who see things the same way? But then again, maybe not. It's a mystery.

Last edited by Berkshires413; 07-16-2007 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,285,037 times
Just a little factoid for my Jersey brethren contemplating the move down, 8 towns from the Garden State made that list as opposed to just three from NC. The criteria were economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:29 AM

889 posts, read 2,849,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Thats so funny you say that, last summer my daughter went to get an "Id" card and that Aunt Bee looking lady in her uniform was such a rude, nasty lady.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 AM

132 posts, read 410,562 times
We actually got our plates and licenses from the Mooresville offices--zero issues. I don't have a southern accent--midwestern, actually--and they were as nice and helpful as could be. They were very patient with all our questions, and gave us all the info we needed.

Interesting.

The traffic and row after row of strip malls does get to be a bit....wearing. But I'm willing to overlook that since there's a Gander Mountain there. It's just a bit too far out for me to comfortably commute for work, given the extra traffic on I-77.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,791,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed before you wrote this post?? Just wondering.

BxRosie

Old 07-17-2007, 04:21 PM

237 posts, read 776,956 times
We are from NY and we have found Mooresville a very nice place and plan on buying a home in the area. Other posts have brought up interesting facts though. 1.) There is alot of traffic on Rt 150, however it is not the only way to get from one side of town to the other. and 2.) DMV is a very long process. From speaking with the locals down at DMV, Mooresville was a town of 9,000 people about 10 years ago, and now it has 100K. The Mooresville DMV bulding moved its place but really did not get much bigger. We went to get our licenses and spent 4.5 hours there. Also, you cannot get your drivers license, registration, and plates in the same place, they are in 2 different places.

Other than those things the area is really nice, good schools, close proximity to the lake and the light rail that is supposed to built by 2011 should make commuting in to Charlotte for work much easier.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM

32,060 posts, read 13,085,230 times
Well my Brother lives in Mooresville, moved there from CA for a job transfer about 12 yrs ago or so. I have lived in Mayberry 7 years. When I go down there, OK exit 36 is the pits, but I see money, opportunity and growth. It's a totally different world up here in Mayberry and I don't see anything wrong with Mooresville, I would move there if the right job came along. Traffic is traffic and no one likes the DMV, and getting license and registration at 2 different places threw me off when I first got here but hey, it's 7 years and I haven't been there since. My driver's license expires next month so I do have to make an appearance at the DMV in Mt. Airy. Driving from the new part to the old part is quite an experience and the growth on 150, I was just there 2 weeks ago. My bro knows all the back roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or