Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 AM

58 posts, read 274,011 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have been working diligently to narrow down where to live in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. Have read many positive posts re: Davidson and the Elizabeth/Cotswold area but trying to get a better handle on how they differ. Looking for good schools (elementary and high school) and communiites which offer both homes of archetectual charm (not cookie cutter) and friendly down to earth people. Self employed so don't have to worry too much about the commute. Looking to spend up to 350K which may put me out of the Elizabeth area anyway. I got the impression that Davidson is very nice but somewhat of a distance from the Charlotte area. Would greatly welcome both pros and cons of Davidson vs Elizabeth/Cotswold area.

Thank you to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM

443 posts, read 1,253,998 times
Default Two good choices!

Davidson has a wonderful college right in the center of the town which enhances the kind of academic/earthy feel of things. Also, Davidson is very much a town...a nice little street with a bookstore, coffee shop, bank, library, super market, etc. all in walking distance of one another and the college. If you live near that center, you can walk and bike to most places you need to get to. If that is important to you, Davidson would be great.
The drive to Charlotte is relative to what you are use to. As you work from home, you need not drive in during the horrid morning rush hour. At other times you can get into 'the city' in 30minutes without issue...to see the major league sports or plays downtown. Anything else you would want to do you could go up to Mooresville or down to Huntersville...both 15 minutes or less.

Eastover is an areas within Charlotte. If you want to be based in Charlotte but be in a neighborhood that is kind of earthy and nice, Eastover would be good. It is minutes from uptown and everything in Charlotte (resturants, stores, other neighborhoods, etc.). If you want more of a city living feel than Eastover/Cotswold would work well for you.

The schools are a roll of the dice. CMS is a bit of a mess right now. You really, in my opininion, can't count of the schools. Perhaps Davidson would give you a better chance at good neighborhood schools because it is self contained, but not likely. Those kids too are getting bussed down toward Charlotte. Davidson has access to more Charter schools (and good ones) in a reasonable distance as well as some private schools. Charlotte, and thus Eatover, has access in decent driving distance to some of the top private schools as well as a number of smaller, less know but still good ones (private montessori or small christian schools).

In the end, in my opinion, you are looking at two good options.

Taben

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been working diligently to narrow down where to live in the Charlotte/Lake Norman area. Have read many positive posts re: Davidson and the Elizabeth/Cotswold area but trying to get a better handle on how they differ. Looking for good schools (elementary and high school) and communiites which offer both homes of archetectual charm (not cookie cutter) and friendly down to earth people. Self employed so don't have to worry too much about the commute. Looking to spend up to 350K which may put me out of the Elizabeth area anyway. I got the impression that Davidson is very nice but somewhat of a distance from the Charlotte area. Would greatly welcome both pros and cons of Davidson vs Elizabeth/Cotswold area.

Thank you to all!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 274,011 times
Default taben

Thank you for you very much. Such detail/info. greatly assists me during this difficult decision process.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM

198 posts, read 640,030 times
I live in Cotswold, and I absolutely love it. In general the area is very well established, with most neighborhoods being built in the 50s-70s. However, there are pockets of newer neighborhoods scattered throughout the area. That's where we live -- all the benefits of a newer home (open floor plan, attached garage, etc) with all the benefits of an established area (confirmed school district, short commute uptown).

We are zoned for Myers Park HS, which is a great school and definitely keeps the resale value high in our area.

Many of the older and more established neighborhoods in Cotswold are well under your price range, however. If you're looking to spend in the mid-300s, you'd probably end up in one of the newer neighborhoods in the area, like ours.

I think Cotswold is the perfect place: short commute for my husband, close to all the shopping and restaurants you'd ever need, and right in the heart of things. Then again, if you work from home, commute isn't a factor for you.

Good luck in your search!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 PM

958 posts, read 1,715,965 times
Davidson is more of a small town community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte