U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 13,140 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, I am an upcoming graduate from Radford University in VA. I am looking at different police departments to apply for. I am looking at larger departments staying south of where I am from. This brings me to the largest department in NC. As most people would assume the departments give the same spiel about how they do everything and all of their officers are top notch, but I want to hear your opinions on the department to help make my decision. Do the officers get involved in the community? Do you feel they are adequate in solving crimes? Also, Charlotte has a very high crime rate do you feel this is because the police do not care enough, under staffed, the crime is just too out of control, or some other reason? Just in case it matters I am looking at departments in the Raleigh/Durham area and Nashville area also if you have any info on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,443,221 times
It's my belief that the officers are top notch. The department also has embraced community policing and credit the assistance provided by the community for lowering crime rates. My experience with the Police Department comes primarily from their Citizens Academy, in which training staff and other officers and department staff eagerly and thoroughly provide citizens with information about police operations.

I've written about my experiences here: Steele Creek Forum - View topic - CMPD Citizens Academy

Old 01-14-2011, 09:07 PM

299 posts, read 469,765 times
I've yet to see one stuffing his/her face with a donut while on duty.........

I know, I've not helped at all.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 13,140 times
Thank you Dave. I read the forum link and this is the kind of thing I like to see in a department, and i am leaning toward the Charlotte department. I will schedule to take my physical fitness and written exam there. Haha I'm glad they aren't downing donuts on a daily basis there. Im not sure if this department makes them keep up their physical fitness like some do but some of these departments have tough tests to get in. I feel like I'm training for a PFT for the Marines.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,892,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadfordUniversity View Post
Thank you Dave. I read the forum link and this is the kind of thing I like to see in a department, and i am leaning toward the Charlotte department. I will schedule to take my physical fitness and written exam there. Haha I'm glad they aren't downing donuts on a daily basis there. Im not sure if this department makes them keep up their physical fitness like some do but some of these departments have tough tests to get in. I feel like I'm training for a PFT for the Marines.

Good luck BTW My husband is a graduate of Radford.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

11,835 posts, read 23,852,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
I've written about my experiences here: Steele Creek Forum - View topic - CMPD Citizens Academy
I really enjoyed your blog Dave. Perhaps we'll run into one another in March. I'll be starting the Civilian Academy.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 AM

8,216 posts, read 10,518,280 times
The guys and gals at CMPD have my utmost respect.
There are many great people in the department and while there is always a bad apple
in every bunch, overall I think they are awesome.

Someone previously mentioned the Citizen's Academy, I went through the very first one
CMPD did and gained a new respect and appreciation for what they do.

The Officers work really hard there and are very proactive, they truly are a band of brothers in the Department.

With that said, the Chief, Rodney Monroe I don't have a lot of respect for, he doesn't appear to be a man of his word but that is a whole other topic.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2011, 01:14 PM

46 posts, read 56,128 times
Well, if I had to pick a department to work for, I'd pick CMPD over any of the surrounding departments.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:01 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,443,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadfordUniversity View Post
this is the kind of thing I like to see in a department, and i am leaning toward the Charlotte department.
Good luck to you. I think you're making a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Perhaps we'll run into one another in March. I'll be starting the Civilian Academy.
Great! I'll be there.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM

12 posts, read 18,304 times
I am moving to charlotte to become a police officer. I was wondering if it has alot of competiton to be hired and if you pass all the tests if they respecet all there officers. Ive been wanting to become a police officer for several years now. Also if the pay is worth becoming a cop there or not. Please let me know what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte