U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 11:12 AM

403 posts, read 741,406 times

Advertisements

Perhaps my title doesn't make any sense or is not very descriptive, but I was wondering if there are any shelters or whatever that take donations such as clothes and furniture that will go directly to those in need....instead of going to their stores to be sold to those in need.
Several weeks ago, after going through all the clothes that I had....I packed up five medium boxes....and ventured out to find a place that would do the above. I felt that those in need would need them right away...to keep their bodies warm. I knew that I didn't want to get a tax break, because what I had was a gift...and I didn't want to take them to a store...because most of those in need...don't have the money to buy clothes. So thinking that I had found "the" place...because it was a womens shelter....I left them there. I have since found out that the boxes went to one of their stores. Does anyone have any idea where a place can be found that will take donations that will go "directly" to those in need.....by passing those that reward themselves with the best that is there...and to the stores where they will be sold. I have nothing against the services that have the stores...because I know that they do help people, employ people and give them second chances. I do understand the process of culling items....because no one would want to get something that was dirty, or in shreds....but what honest person would ever do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 PM

348 posts, read 729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylbeth View Post
Perhaps my title doesn't make any sense or is not very descriptive, but I was wondering if there are any shelters or whatever that take donations such as clothes and furniture that will go directly to those in need....instead of going to their stores to be sold to those in need.
Several weeks ago, after going through all the clothes that I had....I packed up five medium boxes....and ventured out to find a place that would do the above. I felt that those in need would need them right away...to keep their bodies warm. I knew that I didn't want to get a tax break, because what I had was a gift...and I didn't want to take them to a store...because most of those in need...don't have the money to buy clothes. So thinking that I had found "the" place...because it was a womens shelter....I left them there. I have since found out that the boxes went to one of their stores. Does anyone have any idea where a place can be found that will take donations that will go "directly" to those in need.....by passing those that reward themselves with the best that is there...and to the stores where they will be sold. I have nothing against the services that have the stores...because I know that they do help people, employ people and give them second chances. I do understand the process of culling items....because no one would want to get something that was dirty, or in shreds....but what honest person would ever do that?
Try the United Way. Here is the website for North Carolina:

United Way of North Carolina (http://www.unitedwaync.org/ncmap.php - broken link)

The structure might vary by state, but, when I worked in New Hampshire, our office worked directly with a United Way office which was local. That office distributed donated items directly into the community, as they were a community resource for locals in need. Perhaps one of the many NC offices on that site might serve in a similar capacity.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,480,965 times
Crisis Assistance Ministry. Donations go to their Free Store where people can get clothing and household items at no charge. The Free Store Link

Old 01-17-2011, 04:55 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,756,980 times
I second Crisis. You cannot trust these persons who put on fronts about helping the less fortunate , only to line their own pockets. Another place would be the men's shelter , on N. Tryon. The soup kitchen , located above the first bridge past downtown , may also be of assistance.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:40 AM

8,219 posts, read 11,181,151 times
A Childs Place....

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM

3,775 posts, read 6,727,089 times
crisis assistance ministry will put them in their free store for distribution to families/individuals in need.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM

403 posts, read 741,406 times
Sure wish I had known about the Crisis Assistance Ministries before now...I thank the ones that suggested this place, and those that seconded it.
Can you tell me something about the Childs Place...and where it is located.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM

2,447 posts, read 6,480,965 times
A Child's Place (http://www.achildsplace.org/index.html - broken link) is on 5th Street in uptown. It is a great organization that serves homeless children and their families. However, according to their website, they do not accept used clothing.

Quote:
Please note that A Child's Place can no longer accept used clothing due to storage limitations. Please consider taking these donations to Crisis Assistance Ministry. Our clients utitlize their services and receive your donated items at no charge.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 AM

8,219 posts, read 11,181,151 times
A Childs Place is wonderful!
They will accept clothing if you contact them before hand and arrange it.
As I understand the concern is them getting overwhelmed with clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte