U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 AM

852 posts, read 2,221,069 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone here has any advice on the CMS policy of a criminal conviction for non-attendance at school. I have a child who missed 4 days this past semester because of events which he attended out of state (I realize that many of you will want to scold me for allowing him to take the time from school but that is a different days story). He is about to miss four more days in February as he is to travel to Europe to compete in his chosen sport and he is in the top ten in the world. He still would have been within the 10 day requirement before this conviction would come into place but because of the make-up snow days that now brings him to six days potentially out of school. He is an honors student and carries all A's and always makes up the work when he returns. He is also a middle school student. I really wanted to see if there was anyone who has gone through this and what to expect. The school in question has not been helpful in the past when we have asked for permission to attend these events overseas and it doesn't matter if you explain all the learning opportunities that will be available - they are not interested. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by smclarke4; 01-17-2011 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,459,586 times
I wouldn't worry about it. If they go after you, I would raise seven different levels of hell about it. If your kid misses 10 days, you're a criminal, but if (insert name here) skips school for an entire semester its okay?

Don't lose any sleep over it. Its not like they would give you 10 years because your kid misses school.

As far as scolding....your kid, your decisions. If he is a good student and can compete at a high level in any sport, more power to him. Not many people can, and many who are able to are unable to pursue it.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:39 AM

364 posts, read 1,046,133 times
School is only one type of education. Real life experiences can amount to so much more (isn't that why many people travel instead of saying, "Oh I read that in a book- who cares?") as long as he is staying current with his studies (the biggest aspect for kids missing school is they fall behind and it becomes VERY difficult to catch them up) then it shouldn't be an issue. If he is falling behind, invest in a private tutor for a few lessons (your child's school should be able to point out some names or your child's teachers). If you are REALLY concerned, talk to the principal at the school about your worries. But, I wouldn't worry at all- I am sure you would get a notice about any impending consequences if the absences were too many.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,152,057 times
WOW, that's a new one on me. Criminal conviction for a kid expanding his horizons overseas? You may have to hire a solicitor to fight this (absolutely ludicrous, I know) but, it should not hold up in court.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,060,397 times
I know of kids who missed 20+ days in the first semester alone. I have a child in HS and I am not aware of such criminal penalties. He should be okay. Talk to the teachers and see if he can use some of the knowledge gained as a grade or extra credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or