Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

13 posts, read 18,864 times

Advertisements

Over the past 2 years I have struggled with finding employment and by next month I will be looking at a very bad situation. No family here to fall back on. I cannot even get interviews so its time to look in another direction. I need to act Now. I am on my own in this crisis and I am ready to dig myself out.

Any ideas on a home based business that I could start on a shoestring budget? Something internet based? What about learning a trade? I am very capable when working with my hands...and creative. Doing contract work for companies? Doing work that companies would rather farm out versus doing it in house.

If you have any ideas or actual contacts for any of the above, let me know. I will follow up asap.

I am degreed (4 year) and have years of professional level experience under my belt including: project management (non IT), supervision, administration, corporate training, e-commerce, and importing. This experience was in a VARIETY of different industries and environments.

My interests include aviation, vintage cars, boating, marksmanship, motorcycling, and radio control.

In 2 years, I have applied to over 850 ! companies in the Charlotte area, nearly zero interviews, and had the resume redone by pro's 3 times.

That is why some type of contract work or self employment is going to have to happen. I am in Crisis. Let me know your ideas and PM me if you want.

Last edited by MattP51P47; 01-19-2011 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:49 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,651,532 times
Truck Driving? Last I heard they're expecting an increased need for drivers.

UPS? Fex-Ex? USPS?

Unfortunately, I know way too many people in the same boat - two+ years of unemployment and nothing on the horizon.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:05 PM

595 posts, read 1,621,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP51P47 View Post
Any ideas on a home based business that I could start on a shoestring budget? Something internet based?
From my experience, most of these are scams.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM

769 posts, read 2,219,113 times
Have you worked with any recruiting firms here? There are thousands of jobs that will only come through the recruiting agencies - you'll never even hear about them other wise. This is especially true of the contracting work you are talking about. And there are thousands of people here whose "regular" job is contracting - a lot go back and forth between the "big banks" working various contracts.

There are several threads on here that list quite a few of the agencies in the area.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:46 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,274 times
Try this start by looking in North Carolina then branch out if you are willing to relocate. USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site

Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 PM

716 posts, read 1,543,967 times
How about trading penny stocks

Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM

689 posts, read 1,655,971 times
What sort of networking have you done? Are you involved with Pronet or any of the networking groups around town??

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Let's face it, the NC job market isn't what everyone on the Internet seems to think it is. You might start applying in Texas, supposedly one of the best markets now? (Of course, they said that about NC, too, and so everyone and their brother, sister, aunt, uncle, and 5th cousin moved here--which is precisely why competition for NC jobs has gotten so stiff!). I think the "stripe" of states north of Texas (up to the Dakotas) in general have the lowest unemployment of anywhere in the country, and probably lower costs of living, as well. Might not be your ideal place to live at the moment, but you might get a paycheck and get back on your feet where there is some hope. Then in a few years, when the economy picks up, you can move to somewhere more desirable.

Work-at-home businesses generally either don't pay a living wage and/or are scams, as mentined above, unless they are something a person grew from their own idea. Otherwise, everybody would be doing that.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,406 times
Is it that you just flat out can't get a job, or you are being selective about what you're applying for? I saw "now hiring" signs on a Time Warner truck the other day, and in front of a Cook Out the day before that.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
I understand. My son has been unemployed for over 2 years as well. No interviews either. the USA jobs link, although thoughtful does not seem to do anything...both of us have been entering applications on that site for the last 2+ years, absolutely NOTHING...no e-mails, no phone calls, no letter saying "go away". Not sure if anyone gets hired through there. The situation is dire, indeed. So sorry for your predicament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte