Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelynchfam View Post
I actually would prefer to live in NC (where he will be working). I would prefer the option of NC schools for our children. Just trying to understand everything before we take the plunge.
South Carolina has some excellent school districts just like all other states. The districts around Charlotte are mostly excellent. Other than the big city ammenities, S.C. is an excellent option. It is much cheaper living in S.C. and you will not be subject to a questionable mayor that wants to waste over a billion dollars on city rail service to nowhere beneficial (JCS, Eastland), and other meaningless projects (in my humble opinion). Baxter in S.C. is perfect and a 20 minute drive from uptown Charlotte. Oh yea, the mayor of Charlotte wants to consolidate the Mecklenburg County towns into the city so we can all pitch in and support his wastful Charlotte city projects and the mayor of one of the top 15 biggest cities in the U.S. He has learned well from Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
If you make your living in Charlotte you should live in NC.

Big advantage to NC colleges and Universities too...

Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
South Carolina has some excellent school districts just like all other states. The districts around Charlotte are mostly excellent. Other than the big city ammenities, S.C. is an excellent option. It is much cheaper living in S.C. and you will not be subject to a questionable mayor that wants to waste over a billion dollars on city rail service to nowhere beneficial (JCS, Eastland), and other meaningless projects (in my humble opinion). Baxter in S.C. is perfect and a 20 minute drive from uptown Charlotte. Oh yea, the mayor of Charlotte wants to consolidate the Mecklenburg County towns into the city so we can all pitch in and support his wastful Charlotte city projects and the mayor of one of the top 15 biggest cities in the U.S. He has learned well from Washington.
The County isn't nearly as efficient as the city, it would serve the citizens well to combine for efficiency. Have you ever tried to develop land in Charlotte? Talk about a nightmare, two municipalities with seperate zones of control... Nightmare.

Fox is a good mayor. No one can please everyone all of the time.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelynchfam View Post
After a very short stint in Chattanooga, my husband has been asked to relocate to Charlotte. We are ankle deep in the process and I am already overwhelmed with the seemingly many fabulous areas Charlotte has to offer. His office is in Ballantyne, so I have been focusing our search on Matthews/Union County/Lake Wylie/Fort Mill. I keep reading that SC is cheaper, but how so? State income tax cheaper? Sales tax cheaper? Any information is greatly, greatly appreciated!!
Just stay South and East of Charlotte and you cannot go wrong. My husband's office was once in South Carolina and we live in Union County. We had to pay income tax to two states but one state gives you credit for what you pay in the other. It is just a hassle to have to fill out the extra tax form. That may be a factor in your choices. I think the opposite in taxes would be true also. Live in SC and work in NC and you would also probably have to pay taxes to two states. Maybe someone else could tell you about this.

I like the area around Marvin just over the Union County line if I were to be working in Ballantyne. Ballantyne is a very good area in Charlotte. You might want to stay close. There has been talk of Ballantyne wanting to become its own town. I hope for them they get that accomplished. It would be a very good thing for the residents there.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Just stay South and East of Charlotte and you cannot go wrong. My husband's office was once in South Carolina and we live in Union County. We had to pay income tax to two states but one state gives you credit for what you pay in the other. It is just a hassle to have to fill out the extra tax form. That may be a factor in your choices. I think the opposite in taxes would be true also. Live in SC and work in NC and you would also probably have to pay taxes to two states. Maybe someone else could tell you about this.

I like the area around Marvin just over the Union County line if I were to be working in Ballantyne. Ballantyne is a very good area in Charlotte. You might want to stay close. There has been talk of Ballantyne wanting to become its own town. I hope for them they get that accomplished. It would be a very good thing for the residents there.
Lol.

If Ballantyne residents don't want to be Charlotteans they should MOVE OUT OF CHARLOTTE! How dumb is it to move to a city and then whine and moan about seceding... Sounds like something cooked up by those idiot teabaggers.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
If you make your living in Charlotte you should live in NC.

Big advantage to NC colleges and Universities too...
Big? If your kid doesn't go to UNC in Chapel Hill, their school is inferior to South Carolina state colleges. Check US News. And that is if you kid wants to stay in-state...

Old 12-19-2012, 01:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

This made me chuckle. 5 minutes of filling out another state tax form to save tons of money since SC taxes are way lower is too much for you. ROFL. Different strokes for different folks.

Ballantyne wants to be its own since Mecklenburg is encroaching. If it takes it, there will be an increase to tax. I thank all those people so I can enjoy all those nice new stadiums they have paid for. BOA needs a dome so we can get a Super Bowl. We on the SC side are in a different state. Our tax dollars don't go to those type projects.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,410,107 times
Okay,

I gotta put my two cents in on this one. SC is very different than NC especially Charlotte. Personally, I have never understood the appeal of living there unless you lived near the coast or maybe on Lake Wylie. Most of the SC I know is poverty stricken, uneducated and hot as all get out in the summer. Have you ever spent a day in Columbia in the summertime? It feels like the hottest place on Earth! Yes, the taxes are much cheaper.....so what. The taxes are cheaper because they put no money into the state including paved roads. My buddy and I use to joke that you know you cross the NC/SC border when you hit the gravel roads. No offense to any SC residents really, I just never could grasp a good reason for living there especially if I worked in CLT. Whenever I talk with an SC resident the reasons they live there are: cheaper gas and cheaper taxes, I never hear from anyone that they live there because they love the area and think the culture is awesome.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
The County isn't nearly as efficient as the city, it would serve the citizens well to combine for efficiency. Have you ever tried to develop land in Charlotte? Talk about a nightmare, two municipalities with seperate zones of control... Nightmare.

Fox is a good mayor. No one can please everyone all of the time.
Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Matthews, and Pineville are not willing to use the high rates of taxes we pay to support the inner-city. We got educations and worked hard to earn good money to live where we want so our kids can go to good schools that meet our approval and we can enjoy safety. My only point is that, we moved here so we wouldn't actually be in the city of Charlotte. Well, seriously, I didn't really care that much, but I just like it out and really don't want to share the massive debt that I am sure the mayor will eventually accumulate.

Last edited by vindaloo; 12-19-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 PM

[quote=The Native 1;27414864]Okay,

Most of the SC I know is poverty stricken, uneducated and hot as all get out in the summer.

Have you neen to the neighboring towns, ie. Ft. Mill, Rock Hill, etc? Greenville and Spartanburg are prosperous cities and very nice places. Don't see much poverty there. I know that Columbia isn't a poverty stricken city either. You seem to be stereotyping based on your personal prejudices. Where are the dirt and gravel roads for which you elude? Unless you visit farms, they aren't there. South Carolina t isn't the same South Carolina that grandpa and grandma lived in. And finally, you obviously know nothing about 'low country' foods. They are awsome. Ever had she-crab soup or shrimp and grits? They are examples of low country food. And, there are very few cities, if any with under a million people, that offer the cultural aspects as Charleston. For its size, it is a cultural goldmine. I believe the last time I looked, it was in South Carolina. As far as the heat, Columbia does tend to get a couple of degrees hoter in the summer, but when it is 97, 100 isn't that big of a difference. I love both states. Like it or not, South Carolina offers a much more affordable life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte