Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 05:34 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times

Advertisements

My DH and I have been doing some serious house hunting in Union County. I am shocked at the kinds of subdivisions I am seeing, and how much builders are asking for them. From what I have seen, most of Union County is still very rural. There are no movie theaters, shopping centers, or restaurants. I did see an occasional grocery store or fast food place, but the great majority is just farmland. There was 1 subdivision I drove out to which was out in the middle of NOWHERE (we are talking a 15 minute drive out in the country, right down the road from a hog farm!) and they were asking $350K for these houses (4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2500 sq ft houses). Sure, you got 2 acres of land, but you are out in the middle of nowhere! I can't see paying that kind of money for what? Sure you get a nice house, but the schools in that particular area are not that great (some Union county schools are great, but some are not) and it's a 15 minute drive to the closest semblance of civilization. To me that seems overpriced.

And speaking of schools....most of them seem to be bursting at the seams. We were looking at 1 neighborhood in particular and the elementary school had 25 trailers! 1200 kids, 25 trailers, with dozens of new subdivisions popping up daily. How is Union County going to manage this kind of growth?

Anyone else think Union County is overpriced for what you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 07:09 AM

146 posts, read 638,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
My DH and I have been doing some serious house hunting in Union County. I am shocked at the kinds of subdivisions I am seeing, and how much builders are asking for them. From what I have seen, most of Union County is still very rural. There are no movie theaters, shopping centers, or restaurants. I did see an occasional grocery store or fast food place, but the great majority is just farmland. There was 1 subdivision I drove out to which was out in the middle of NOWHERE (we are talking a 15 minute drive out in the country, right down the road from a hog farm!) and they were asking $350K for these houses (4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2500 sq ft houses). Sure, you got 2 acres of land, but you are out in the middle of nowhere! I can't see paying that kind of money for what? Sure you get a nice house, but the schools in that particular area are not that great (some Union county schools are great, but some are not) and it's a 15 minute drive to the closest semblance of civilization. To me that seems overpriced.

And speaking of schools....most of them seem to be bursting at the seams. We were looking at 1 neighborhood in particular and the elementary school had 25 trailers! 1200 kids, 25 trailers, with dozens of new subdivisions popping up daily. How is Union County going to manage this kind of growth?

Anyone else think Union County is overpriced for what you get?
Hi, I can tell you that I'MINFORMED and you should stay away from Union county and rethink your move to NC

Old 08-22-2006, 07:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Union County to me is how Meck County was 15 years ago.

Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad View Post
Hi, I can tell you that I'MINFORMED and you should stay away from Union county and rethink your move to NC
I'm already in NC (I live in Apex, which is near Cary) but we were thinking about a move to Union County for cheaper housing & land. It seems though the prices are shooting up FAST. We may be priced out of the market there soon.

I'd love to hear the reasons why NOT to move to Union County.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 AM

110 posts, read 394,754 times
Union county is not the only county. Nc is becoming overpriced in general. I was looking for a new home last year. There was a new subdivision near the Lincoln/Gaston county border. The subdivision wasnt near the lake or anything, kinda by itself which is what I wanted. But they wanted 250 to 300k for a 1 story brickhouse. I cant remember the square footage but it wasnt alot. Heaven forbid you want something on the lake (which without exaggeration has been built out already)

Get used to the trailers outside the schools. It is common for about every HS, unless you go to a private school.

It seems to be a concept many people just dont grasp. The Charlotte area and suburbs especially are over crowded and overpriced. Developers and real estate know this but they will keep on building and people will keep coming. Ive said give it 5 years for NC to be like FL, but maybe it wont take that long.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:17 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,735 times
Default Union County information

Charlotte Observer, August 21, 2006
| Absences scuttle Union bond
JULIA OLIVER
Staff Writer
Union County commissioners have missed their last chance to put a school bond referendum on the November ballot.

Only the chairman showed up to an 8 a.m. meeting today -- the third scheduled in eight days. He canceled the proceedings for lack of a three-member quorum.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-24-2006, 04:34 PM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
What is overpriced to one person is a great deal to another. $350K for a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2500 sq ft house on a 2 acre lot is VERY cheap to many of the people moving to NC from other states.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
What is overpriced to one person is a great deal to another. $350K for a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2500 sq ft house on a 2 acre lot is VERY cheap to many of the people moving to NC from other states.
You can get 2 acres for that price? hmmmmm

Old 08-24-2006, 06:05 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
...and it's a 15 minute drive to the closest semblance of civilization. To me that seems overpriced.
<flaps hands> ::runs in a tizzy circle:: HEAVEN FORFEND!! A WHOLE 15 MINUTES!!

:::laughs::: Sorry, I truly don't mean to offend. We live in an area that is 12 miles from a grocery store, almost 20 to a theater or shopping. We picked the area just for that reason. Perhaps Union is developed at this point (and chosen by home buyers) by the same kind of people. Not everyone wants to live in a bustling area, and even a nearby hawg farm wouldn't be objectionable. Our neighbors raise goats - we eagerly visit them each spring to see the new babies.

I think the price is outrageous as well, but that may be the developer's ploy: here's property where you have a good distance between your neighbors; you can sit out on the deck and see the stars at night without them being washed out by light pollution; you don't have to worry about leaving your subdivision and being swept into a 4-lane madhouse of traffic as everyone rushes to Walmart or whatever Big Box store is just down the road. It will cost you, though, because it's getting harder to find that kind of property close in to Charlotte. I wonder if there are covenants that protect the property from being divided by successive buyers? I know that's how ours is, as well as everyone for about 100 acres around us. Again, we bought this parcel just because it had that kind of covenant. Our neighbors have 25 acres, and it will always be a 25 acre parcel.

Did you read the Union County posts here and get a different picture of the area? If so, I think your reaction is helpful to other people thinking of moving to the area. Some people, like us, would say "I wish I could afford to live there. It sounds like heaven." Others, like yourself, see the shortcomings of the rural nature of the area and keep people from wasting their time coming in to look.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:10 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Yeahhh, and that's the reason the landowner from whom we bought our parcel almost 10 years ago is now asking 4x as much as we paid for an adjoining parcel that is 1/2 the size of ours His reasoning: "well, that's all I could get back then. Today, I know there are people who will pay this amount. Why shouldn't I ask that much?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte