U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:19 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,599,661 times

Advertisements

I agree wholeheartedly with what NYer says. Your fondness for NC is dependent solely on the kinds of activities you enjoy. Since Charlotte is in the middle of state, you have to do some driving for some recreational activities (zoo is hour away, beach is a few hours away, snowskiing is a couple hours away, aquariums are a few hours away). However, the Charlotte metro area does offer lots of sporting events and NASCAR. But there aren't too many bars to go hang out and WATCH sporting events. There are a few, but not a lot. Charlotte does offer cultural events, but it ain't Broadway (although B'way shows do tour here).

So definitely plan a long visit and eye the area carefully before you pick up and move. And do LOTS AND LOTS of research (I researched for a VERY long time before picking Fort Mill, SC as the place my family wanted to live).

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,502 times
Thanks; your responses so far are interesting and helpful.
I might be in a bit of an unusual situation that in some situations may be a curse and in others, a blessing. My income is fixed due to a disability pension ($60k/year). My thinking is this: on Long Island with a family of 4 with the mortgage etc, that's a road to bankrupcy. But in parts of NC, it would at least allow a reasonably comfortable life.
Long Island has a lot of great things: beaches, recreation, access to NYC, etc. It becomes academic though, when you can't afford to take advantage of them.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 PM

533 posts, read 1,635,427 times
i moved from LI right after i got married last july and love it here in charlotte! basically my husband and i knew we would NEVER be able to afford the house/quality of life that we wanted for our family on LI. also, it was a good move for finding a job after i graduate with my masters as my field is over flooded on LI. i know moving from LI to charlotte was a GREAT move for me and for several families i know here. the best thing you can do is take your family here for a visit and see if its a place you all can imagine living. i do not find life very different here than LI, just cheaper, cleaner, and more friendly people here. good luck!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:31 PM

85 posts, read 257,029 times
I think most have (sort of) missed your point...the average NC'er pays a signifcantly less PERCENTAGE of their income towards a mortgage, but gets more sf and acreage...your dollar will go further in NC...I think you seem intelligent enough to understand there will be some minor downward culture/social shock, but know this: more people move from NEW YORK to NC than fron ANY OTHER STATE...this is a US Census Bureau FACT...combined with lower taxes, and other intangibles too numerous to mention, it will be a life changing decision...there is only one NY/Long Isalnd, only ONE Miami...only one LA, etc, etc so don't expect to transplant seamlessly...this area is growing tremendously in all of the (mostly) right directions, literally and figuratively...I have watched since 1993, and most will tell you that the social/culture scene in the Charlotte area, Lake Norman area, etc, has grown exponentially in comparison and in parallel to residential growth...most don't remember(because they weren't here yetLOLOL) when exit 36(Hwy 150) was ONLY a Food Lion, Hardee's & Lincoln Bank on the 'lake side'...for what you currently pay per month, I could put you in a 3000sf 4bed/3.5bath home on 1.4acres with hardwoods, granite, and stainless appliances and fixtures, 10ft+ ceilings, no HOA and only .75 miles from LKN in Troutman...TODAY!!!...actually, I have two in the Troutman area, as I am a developer/builder...if you have any Q's about ANYTHING, I'd be glad to answer...I could even give you the numbers of some LI'ers who have moved hereLOL...Best of luck....believe what you've been told about this area.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:19 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,334,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Mike, do you go into the city a lot? Do you go to the beach a lot? Do you like eating out at new hip restaurants 5 times a week? If so you may not be too happy here. Make a list about what you love about Long Island, then visit down here, go home, & reflect.

I know there is a NC myth out there about Yankees seeing NC & abandoning their lives for the promised land, but, at least in my situation, I know of just as many people who visited here & then decided to stay put as I do those who decided to make the move.
This is a great post ! North Carolina has new jobs, But in time the price will go up as well. I see alot of people move to Florida thinking it's the promised land also. It has very little in the job area outside of service.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:37 PM

85 posts, read 257,029 times
Sorry my friend...I'm from Florida- Miami actually, and there's PLENTY of jobs in Florida outside of service/tourism, the problem is that there is too much competition for not enough jobs...much like NY or LA or any other over-populated area, the jobs that pay well are taken...plenty of MD's, Lawyers, engineers, architects, teachers, contractors, etc, etc...perhaps you meant there are not enough NEW, good-paying jobs...that I would agree with, but I'm afraid that is true anywhere!

Old 07-21-2007, 06:55 PM

71 posts, read 263,689 times
I'm going to have to agree with John. Being from NoVA and my dh from SOCA..we both were tired of living paycheck to paycheck after he got out of the USMC. He decided on NC. After living here for 2 years I've tried to get used to it but honestly I would go back to VA or CA in a heartbeat. I have several friends here from NY and NJ and some went back to their "shacks" because they couldn't learn to love it here. I think you should do what's in your heart and what's in your family's best interest. My husband thought we would all be happy here because we could get more house for our money but to be honest I was much happier living in a bungalow in CA than I am living in a beautiful 2500 sq. ft. house. The only upside is..our neighborhood is great and Charlotte does have alot of great shopping. Good luck to you!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:22 PM

117 posts, read 366,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewho View Post
Thanks; your responses so far are interesting and helpful.
I might be in a bit of an unusual situation that in some situations may be a curse and in others, a blessing. My income is fixed due to a disability pension ($60k/year). My thinking is this: on Long Island with a family of 4 with the mortgage etc, that's a road to bankrupcy. But in parts of NC, it would at least allow a reasonably comfortable life.
Long Island has a lot of great things: beaches, recreation, access to NYC, etc. It becomes academic though, when you can't afford to take advantage of them.

Mike,

MY family and I moved down from NJ after my husband had to retire from an on the job injury with the fire dept. We knew it would be hard to make ends in NJ and like you were sick and tired of working and living paycheck to paycheck.We bought a brand new house in a great development with lots of amenities. I can honestly say that we love it here and so do our kids. We have made more friends then we could ask for and there are so many people from NJ and NY (especially LI and SI) that we feel like it is home. Alot of people do not have family down here so you tend to rely on each other.Only thing lacking is a good Italian deli near us. But like others have said, it depends on the person and what you like and do not like. You can PM me if you want more info about the area. Good luck in your decision!!

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 PM

7,927 posts, read 17,731,765 times
Mike You can PM TOO if you would like, we moved from NJ as well originally it was for financial reasons, and yes we couldnt afford to live in NJ anymore however the financials became less important as that can not be the main reason to move here...We visited 3 different times about every 2 months or so and it just felt like home to us, my children loved it here and every time we visited it just became more real that this was where we wanted to live..we live in Union County and for us this absoultely the right move...dh isnt killing himself, financially we are doing great, we have made quiet a few friends already and we have only been here 2 months but it feels like a long time already if that makes sense...You need to embrace the culture here and not try to change it otherwise you will be unhappy, I also recommend making a visit if you can and driving around all different areas...you will know if this is somewhere you want to live..My son is 12 and going into 7th grade and my daughter is 8.5 and well they both love living here as well...If you would like more info or input pls PM me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or