Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

352 posts, read 518,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Then its the Wallace's greedy fault for selling their land to developers.
so they should be ran off now?

I'm a local...I've been in the charlotte area my entire life, and this is NOT directed at you, I'm just making a comment.

I'm tired of people moving here and trying to force people or businesses that have been here for years out because its not convenient for them. Yea the manure plant probably does smell bad, but hey, you moved near it, it didnt just appear out of no where. It does not sound like its the manure plant's problem, it sounds like your problem to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
so they should be ran off now?

I'm a local...I've been in the charlotte area my entire life, and this is NOT directed at you, I'm just making a comment.

I'm tired of people moving here and trying to force people or businesses that have been here for years out because its not convenient for them. Yea the manure plant probably does smell bad, but hey, you moved near it, it didnt just appear out of no where. It does not sound like its the manure plant's problem, it sounds like your problem to me.
No, but the Wallace family had to sell that land to somebody or it wouldn't be an issue. I agree with what you're saying though. It's like people that bought homes near the Lynx line because of the investment/convenience and then complained about the noise of the whistles (not to mention freight trains already run along the line too).

Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM

240 posts, read 1,021,682 times
The smell was extremely bad yesterday. I told my daughter if I ever thought of buying the house we are renting, I would never do it. I can't take the smell. It occurs on a regular basis but the last few days have been incredibly bad.

I feel really bad for those who have purchased homes. Do you have to disclose this issue when you are trying to sell or do you just hope people look at the homes on a nonsmelly day.

People the smell was really bad. No exageration. When I turned into my section of the neighborhood, I pulled my sweater over my nose. I have no idea why the smell was worse than usual but I found it to be quite unbearable long term.

I don't blame WF. They were operating and located on Eastfield a long time before the neighborhood was developed. People need to do their research and determine if they can bear smelly days for an overall great neighborhood for a good price. (I don't think all of HC has the problem. I have asked people close to the other end and they don't appear to have the same problem. We are located right behind the farm. I have decided that I really like the neighborhood, but I can't buy a home there. I'm sure other people may feel differently and it will not be a major issue.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
NC has a full disclosure law and is very strict. Smell is one of the things which must be disclosed.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM

316 posts, read 394,779 times
try maculay neighborhood in huntersville - it smells good here!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM

379 posts, read 644,556 times
I remember the same thing happening in marvin. People were complaining about the smell of manure from the Kerr farm. Did they not see the LARGE FARM with all of the COWS when they drove down the street? They had to have passed it multiple times when visiting the neighborhood they were buying in. Maybe they just didn't realize that cows poo too. I believe the town ended up winning that particular argument. Sad though.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:57 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
There was an article recently in the Observer about the last two remaining dairy farms in Huntersville. As is normal for a dairy farm, every spring they lay down manure for their fields. Apparently, when this happens, the local 911 lines get flooded with calls from people reporting a sewage spill. Its mind boggling that people can't tell the difference between raw sewage and manure.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:54 PM

747 posts, read 2,104,619 times
We are in the process of buying in HCreek, and are just now hearing about this issue. We spent a few hours 2 days in a row last week, and did not smell anything. Any idea how far reaching the odor is. We are looking about a mile from the farm, to the Southwest. we are in the process of writing an offer, so we are desparate for info, and living in South Florida, we cant check it out everyday. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,682 times
what's the name of the section or street that you are moving to? you can send me a PM if you would like. There was no smell last week. If you're closer to Ridge road the smell is not the strongest. If you're near Eastfield Road, you will definately smell it.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
There was an article recently in the Observer about the last two remaining dairy farms in Huntersville. As is normal for a dairy farm, every spring they lay down manure for their fields. Apparently, when this happens, the local 911 lines get flooded with calls from people reporting a sewage spill. Its mind boggling that people can't tell the difference between raw sewage and manure.

The problem is is that the smell has been happening much more frequently than in the past and is much more stronger. I live just a few miles away from the farm for several years and only smelled the odor maybe 2 or 3 times a year which pretty much wasn't an issue for most including me. Within the past year, that has increased several fold. I understand these plants and farms have rights (otherwise we'd have no established farms left) and they should but of course it needs to be done within reason and not discourage people from enjoying their property. Homeowners do have rights when it comes to that also as long as it is reasonable. This business has expanded recently and that may be the reason why these problems are much more frequent and causing issues with people in the area. Many in the surrounding areas feel the farm went too far and overgrew their boundaries near a residential area with their expansion. Remember, they did sell the land to property developers who are still developing homes in the area surrounding them.

I've lived next to farms and been surrounded by them in the past and know that sometimes they have odors. What comes from this farm is on a whole new level now. It is so strong now that I'm scared to light a match when this smelly gas odor arrives. I can't enjoy my yard or a screened room when this appears. I'm a few miles away from the farm. I can't imagine what happens to those that are closer. I know the HC school sometimes will not let their kids out b/c it is so bad. One has to ask now, is what the farm doing to the area (just recently with their expansion) reasonable given the developed area there are in. Also, are the neighbors complaints reasonable? Given the past few months, I'd side with the residents unless the farm figures something out to limit the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte