Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 PM

240 posts, read 1,022,075 times

Advertisements

there was a meeting at Highland Creek Elementary tonight to discuss the smell of the farm. A story will be on the Fox news at 10:00 to discuss the meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,772 times
I am moving from SoFla to HC in May, can you fill us in on what was discussed?
Thanks

Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I am moving from SoFla to HC in May, can you fill us in on what was discussed?
Thanks
A radio discussion
Charlotte's Morning News | Will the Charlotte city council get to the bottom of the stink at Wallace Farm?...interview with John Lassiter (http://goodmorning.wbt.com/audio.cfm;jsessionid=2a3039f9f572d45e50c46a4421751 368346e?ID=390 - broken link)

An interview with the owner of Wallace Farms (right side of column under heading "What is that smell at Wallace Farms?...interview with Eric Wallace")
Charlotte's Morning News | Homepage (http://goodmorning.wbt.com/index.cfm?month=3&day=11&year=2008 - broken link)

Article in the Charlotte Disturber
Charlotte Observer | 03/12/2008 | Compost riles farm's neighbors (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/v-print/story/532556.html - broken link)

Sounds like they are ready to bring out the Big Guns if necessary, having already prevailed in one litigation while being represented by a firm that specializes in representing businesses that are not exactly looked upon with much favor
Land Use & Zoning: Moore & Van Allen Law Firm PLLC, Attorneys, North Carolina, South Carolina (http://www.mvalaw.com/practices-79.html - broken link)

Quote:
In Re Wallace Farms. We represent Wallace Farms, a farm and compost producer in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, in connection with issues relating to its composting permit issued by the Division of Waste Management of the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources. As part of the renewal process, the Division required Wallace Farms to obtain a determination from the local zoning authority that the operations of Wallace Farms are consistent with local zoning ordinances. The Mecklenburg County Zoning Administrator issued such a determination, conditioned on the implementation by Wallace Farms of certain modifications or limitations to its business practices. We acted as co-counsel for Wallace Farms in its appeal of that determination to the Mecklenburg County Zoning Board of Adjustment, which resulted in a holding by the Board that the operations of Wallace Farms are consistent with local zoning ordinances, without modification or limitation.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 16,834 times
OK. That discussion was in March/2008—Has ANYTHING improved since then?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
dont know about improvement, but recent articles:

Huntersville Herald Online (http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles/2008/06/13/news/local/local01.txt - broken link)

Huntersville Herald Online (http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/articles/2008/06/06/news/local/local08.txt - broken link)

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
What a crock of crap!! First, what does it matter who the developers bought the farm from? If you had a chunk of land that you weren't using, wouldn't you sell it for the right price? This has nothing to do with greed on the Wallaces' side, but rather on the side of the slimy developers.

Second, it appears that the Wallace family has gone above and beyond in the pursuit of odor minimalization. They've said they have an open door/honesty policy. Frankly, if it were that big of an issue to people, they would have been diligent in finding out what "odors" there were before they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Third, there are many people that feel that their sense of entitlement trumps everyone else's rights. It's been noted in many other threads that part of the reason transplants are so maligned is that they (a) complain about everything (b) insist that the way things are done where they are from is better than the way it is here, and (c) try to force/coerce change in an unreasonable matter.

Frankly, a farm that has been in operation for nearly 200 years, in the same location, trumps a new development any day.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 16,834 times
Thanks for the articles Xcape! I'm living in NJ now and am planning to move to Charlotte as soon as my home sells.I had heard good things about Highland Creek and I liked what I saw of Homes for sale on the web, but then on this forum I read about "THE SMELL" and got spooked.
I live in Sussex county, NJ, which is farm country so I'm familiar with farm odors. But from what I read, this odor goes beyond that.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengel1 View Post
Thanks for the articles Xcape! I'm living in NJ now and am planning to move to Charlotte as soon as my home sells.I had heard good things about Highland Creek and I liked what I saw of Homes for sale on the web, but then on this forum I read about "THE SMELL" and got spooked.
I live in Sussex county, NJ, which is farm country so I'm familiar with farm odors. But from what I read, this odor goes beyond that.
Can't speak for Sussex county, but I've been to northern NJ, and I'd take the smell of a compost plant over that any day!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM

27 posts, read 78,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
This has nothing to do with greed on the Wallaces' side, but rather on the side of the slimy developers...It's been noted in many other threads that part of the reason transplants are so maligned is that they (a) complain about everything (b) insist that the way things are done where they are from is better than the way it is here, and (c) try to force/coerce change in an unreasonable matter.
Amen! You've got my vote for Mayor.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM

630 posts, read 1,878,271 times
I just bought my first home and I researched the area like you wouldn't believe. I was a rookie but do people really buy homes without looking whats in the area. Especially with tools like Google Earth? I won't buy a $30 tool without researching it thoroughly and people buy homes without looking whats on the other side of the woods?

People who buy homes next to Racetracks, Airports and Farms and don't expect any noise, smell or traffic, get what they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte