Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:15 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,443 times

Advertisements

We just moved into our new home in HC 2 months ago today! We researched the smell, and were told by neighbors that they rarely smelled it. I was here several times before buying, never smelled it. We moved in, and the next AM the stench could have knocked us over! I had the kind of regret I had never felt before. But since that day (5/18), I have not had an issue again. I dont know why it smelled so bad that day, but we keep our fingers crossed.
What I want to know is how the houses directly across the street from the huge pile of manure are dealing with the smell. We pass by several times a week, and have not once seen anyone walking a dog, riding a bike, etc. How sad!!!! Its also strange how the Wallace families have their names on signs on front of their houses (also directly next to the manure).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
I know everyone already knew this... but this is not a problem unique to Charlotte!

NYC residents sue over smelly sewage plants -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 25,074 times
We live in Dominion Bluff / Highland Creek (off of Christenbury) and we have not had any problems with odor from the farm. I think most of the complaints have been from the areas closest to the Eastfield entrance and I think the Meadomont townhomes. I think if you listen really really carefully on race night you might be able to hear the race cars at the speedway...but to be honest I've never tried. We do get to see the fireworks after the races though!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM

246 posts, read 583,571 times
I have lived in HC for going on 13 months now, so I'd like to chime in with a few points.

First, Wallace Farm is not a manure farm. It is a compost farm. They take things like expired ice cream, etc. and turn it into compost and mulch. This is a much "greener" activity than simply dumping the stuff in a landfill. You'd think that with such an emphasis on "going green" that people would be happy that Wallace Farm is operating.

Second, Wallace Farm was there first. They have every right to operate their business and they take steps to try and reduce the odor as best they can. To try and strong-arm them out of business via some busybody petition reeks of the same selfish attitude that got Concord in trouble with Bruton Smith. If you were given disclosure that there was a compost farm, then you can't really complain. If you're like me and didn't exercise due diligence or receive disclosure, then I feel a little bad for you, but you can't expect them to move.

Third, it is really not that bad. I guess if you lived right behind Wallace Farm it might be, but in the year that I've been here I've never had the smell "knock me over" or make me vomit. Newsflash: Wallace Farm and Highland Creek were built in the country! Country air is fresh, but sometimes it does have a "pungent odor." Hence, if you don't like odors, don't move out to the country.

And if you don't believe that North Meck County is the country, take a drive down Eastfield Rd one day. That would NEVER fly down in Ballantyne, Myers Park, or Uptown.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,520 times
When we considered moving into Highland Creek in 2005 we never were informed by the real estate (Wilkerson)about the farm. We smelled the odor somewhat but bearable since then it has escalated to the point you can't stay outside at times because you would gag with the odor. We understand they are operating without a permit for this compost facility and they are still under a farm permit which is unlawful and nobody seem to be able to correct it. They have been fined by the EPA for the stench but continue to operate. We would move but I don't believe anybody would want to live here with this horrible odor so we woud probably take a great lose and we can't afford that. We know people who have lost sales when they found out about the smell. Stay away from the west side of Highland Creek.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 AM

246 posts, read 583,571 times
Everybody wants to be eco-friendly, but when the compost facility is too close, they throw those principles right out the window.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobois View Post
When we considered moving into Highland Creek in 2005 we never were informed by the real estate (Wilkerson)about the farm. We smelled the odor somewhat but bearable since then it has escalated to the point you can't stay outside at times because you would gag with the odor. We understand they are operating without a permit for this compost facility and they are still under a farm permit which is unlawful and nobody seem to be able to correct it. They have been fined by the EPA for the stench but continue to operate. We would move but I don't believe anybody would want to live here with this horrible odor so we woud probably take a great lose and we can't afford that. We know people who have lost sales when they found out about the smell. Stay away from the west side of Highland Creek.
I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic but IIRC the Wallace family has been using that land since the late 1800s. How much did you research the area. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but you can't put all the blame on the real estate company.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 AM

104 posts, read 309,204 times
To make it clear. Wallace Farm did sell some of their property to HC developers. The compost farm operated without major offenses for years. However, they changed what they brought in and the smell became substantially worse. It has changed over time. Also, their permit says that their odor will not exceed their boundaries. If they could go back to how they use to operate than things would be fine. Their rights do not supercede anyone elses, especially if it is in violation of their permit. To me the issue of the permit is the supreme factor. Your permit says that you will not have the odor exceed your boundaries. How come Wallace Farm is above the law?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
To tell you the truth, sometimes I can smell it from my house a couple miles away. I couldn't imagine what HC people are going through

Old 03-08-2009, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 25,262 times
You are pathetically uninformed.

Wallace Farms is an I-3 Solid Waste facility. This means they compost everything from food waste to meat waste, dairy waste, animal waste, and even expired cough drops. Since cough drops have a medicinal component, this is pharmaceutical waste. You may have also hugged way too many trees if you think that pouring spoiled dairy and ice cream sludge into the ground is "green".

Also, when Highland Creek was being built, Wallace was a farm. They raised cattle, had crops, just like any other farm. Many of the people now complaining actually purchased their homes BECAUSE of this. While some find farm odors offensive, to many, it is a homey smell. I lived across from a cattle farm for years, and smelled manure on many a hot July day. I still sat outside, and enjoyed the weather. However, after Wallace sold off much of his land to developers, with full disclosure of their intent to build homes, they changed their operation on a miniscule point of law to a compost operation. Wallace's attorneys have been bullying and threatening lawsuits against the state and county ever since.

Finally, the City of Charlotte has taken a stand, and it nearly ended in disaster. The City was forced to obtain a warrant to investigate the odors, and when they arrived last fall on the property, the city employees were physically threatened by the Wallaces and their employees, using their machinery to physically intimidate them. The 2 police cars were not enough, and 5 more were called in to enforce the warrant, legally issued by a judge. So much for the Wallace's "good neighbor" policy.

The Wallace's play the "poor farmer" card every chance they get. If they in fact were farmers, even produced a crop, my opinion would be vastly different. Eric Wallace shows up in his cap and overalls and drives a Ford pickup to every press interview he manages to fanagle. Yet, Eric doesn't tell you he doesn't live in any of the simple homes near the facility. Eric lives in a $1million+ mansion, and drives a $90k Mercedes, quite unlike the "simple farmer" he plays on TV.

The air here is putrid, several times per week, and there are more studies that show the hazards they are releasing into the air than are that show it is "green". If you want to expose greed, corruption, and bullying, do your research on the Wallace's approach to staying in business.

Next time you "chime in", try to have at least one fact in your statement. And if you think Ballantyne, Myers Park, and Uptown are so grand and spectacular, move there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
I have lived in HC for going on 13 months now, so I'd like to chime in with a few points.

First, Wallace Farm is not a manure farm. It is a compost farm. They take things like expired ice cream, etc. and turn it into compost and mulch. This is a much "greener" activity than simply dumping the stuff in a landfill. You'd think that with such an emphasis on "going green" that people would be happy that Wallace Farm is operating.

Second, Wallace Farm was there first. They have every right to operate their business and they take steps to try and reduce the odor as best they can. To try and strong-arm them out of business via some busybody petition reeks of the same selfish attitude that got Concord in trouble with Bruton Smith. If you were given disclosure that there was a compost farm, then you can't really complain. If you're like me and didn't exercise due diligence or receive disclosure, then I feel a little bad for you, but you can't expect them to move.

Third, it is really not that bad. I guess if you lived right behind Wallace Farm it might be, but in the year that I've been here I've never had the smell "knock me over" or make me vomit. Newsflash: Wallace Farm and Highland Creek were built in the country! Country air is fresh, but sometimes it does have a "pungent odor." Hence, if you don't like odors, don't move out to the country.

And if you don't believe that North Meck County is the country, take a drive down Eastfield Rd one day. That would NEVER fly down in Ballantyne, Myers Park, or Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte