Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Okay, a couple years ago I was thinking about moving from the DC area to Charlotte. Obviously that never happened and I decided to move in with family in the Louisville/Ft. Knox area.

Now, I have a job with BofA in Louisville and am graduating college hopefully by the end of the year. If possible I hope to move up with BofA and this will likely mean moving to Charlotte since BofA does not have a lot in Louisville.

My criteria:

- Want to live in or near a neighborhood with a lot of 20-somethings who aren't tied to kids and wife.
- A solid pentecostal-type church which has a ministry designed for young adults. Shockingly, I've had a hard time finding this in KY.
- Hope to rent in a safe area for under $500-600.
- Good place to watch the Panthers kick butt every Sunday.

To be honest that is all I want. Peace Queen City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Help me understand how being near a neighborhood with a lot of 20-somethings and a solid pentecostal church can jive? You like to party all week and repent on Sunday?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,872,762 times
1) Don't ever reduce the thought of moving up in your company to "if possible" or "hoping". Make it your true desire to move up and know that you will, if that is what you really want.

2) Renting in a safe, desirable area for $500-600 bucks is going to be really hard to do, if not impossible. Trendy areas that are more affordable are Plaza Midwood, NoDa, University area. Others are going to def. be out of your range by a long shot. Search Craigslist for an idea of what you can afford in town. Stay away from west and northwest areas immediately outside of downtown.

3) There are lots of great sports bars and pubs around the city for watching games.

4) Churches are all over the place. You should be able to find what you want by doing a little research online.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM

120 posts, read 237,994 times
You better off staying where u are

Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
If you are paying $500-600 per month, you are either really living out in the sticks, or you are living in an area you really don't want to be living in.

That said... get the job with BofA first, then start looking to move. Research does not do a heck of a lot if the door isn't opening yet.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:38 PM

After some thought today. I'm not sure how serious I am about Charlotte. I think I'll just wait to see what happens when I graduate in December and if I can make it work in Louisville. Louisville has pretty much everything I want in a city at a bargain.

Charlotte is a city I've always liked and I'm a big Panthers fan. I'd have no problem living in it.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
After some thought today. I'm not sure how serious I am about Charlotte. I think I'll just wait to see what happens when I graduate in December and if I can make it work in Louisville. Louisville has pretty much everything I want in a city at a bargain.

Charlotte is a city I've always liked and I'm a big Panthers fan. I'd have no problem living in it.
Alan, before we moved here, we stopped in Louisville for a few days to scope it out, and it was my 2nd fav after Charlotte. The people were so nice, and the area was very pretty. As long as you didn't wander over to Kentuckiana of course. (I got a good picture of the Clarksville mobile home mart). If you stick around there after all, it seems like a really nice place.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Alan you can always come down & watch the Panthers play.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Alan, before we moved here, we stopped in Louisville for a few days to scope it out, and it was my 2nd fav after Charlotte. The people were so nice, and the area was very pretty. As long as you didn't wander over to Kentuckiana of course. (I got a good picture of the Clarksville mobile home mart). If you stick around there after all, it seems like a really nice place.
Over to "Kentuckiana", do you mean Southern IN? If so I can understand why (even though I do like New Albany.)

Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Over to "Kentuckiana", do you mean Southern IN? If so I can understand why (even though I do like New Albany.)
Yep. We didn't get too far beyond driving around Clarksville a bit, visiting an apartment complex or two, and stopping at the park that was on the river, Falls on the something or other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte