U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,531,421 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else worry about the future viability of this mall? It seems like the desirable tenants are slowly but surely leaving and being replaced by second-tier Eastland type stores. The location seems decent but is there really the population density up there to support the mall with Birkdale and Concord Mills both superior nearby options? I'm sure the mall was built with a pre-recession mindset of continued residential growth around the mall area along with the completion of I-485. I hope I am wrong because Charlotte doesnt need another dead mall, especially one as new and as nice as Northlake. The bad thing is it can be difficult to turn around if it starts to go down that path. Bottom line is, will the mall be able to hang on through the recession to remain viable afterwards or is it inevitably doomed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,387,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Does anybody else worry about the future viability of this mall? It seems like the desirable tenants are slowly but surely leaving and being replaced by second-tier Eastland type stores. The location seems decent but is there really the population density up there to support the mall with Birkdale and Concord Mills both superior nearby options? I'm sure the mall was built with a pre-recession mindset of continued residential growth around the mall area along with the completion of I-485. I hope I am wrong because Charlotte doesnt need another dead mall, especially one as new and as nice as Northlake. The bad thing is it can be difficult to turn around if it starts to go down that path. Bottom line is, will the mall be able to hang on through the recession to remain viable afterwards or is it inevitably doomed?
Who's closed? I think the Target being there and the Best Buy stuff across the street helps. I don't like malls and hardly go. Birkdale turned me off pronto with the parking weirdness and mixed use kids misbehaving in the theater.

That was years ago and I'm sure they are doing fine. I'm also sure I'll never be back unless I have to.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,392,235 times
Quote:
I was just there a few weeks ago. Its one of the nicest malls ive ever been to. The layout, feel and look is like no other. Very modern and sleek. Im unsure what you mean by retailers moving out as, i didnt find many empty stores or "3rd party" type stores. I will go back there every few months.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I was just there a few weeks ago. Its one of the nicest malls ive ever been to. The layout, feel and look is like no other. Very modern and sleek. Im unsure what you mean by retailers moving out as, i didnt find many empty stores or "3rd party" type stores. I will go back there every few months.
When I was there this summer there was quite a few on the bottom level. It also didn't seem like there was a lot of foot traffic in the areas with the nicer stores. The "urban" stores seemed to be more popular. I agree I really like the style and feel of the mall. Seems to me the mall kind of has an identity problem. Is it upscale, average, or urban? When it was built it was a notch lower than SouthPark. Now I would say it's about like Carolina Place but with a less consistent tenant mix.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 PM

46 posts, read 69,951 times
I can drive to 6 malls in under 30 minutes, how is that sustainable.....oh wait people constantly feel the need to consume to fill some empty void in their life.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:34 AM

10,766 posts, read 6,432,251 times
Quote:
Does anybody else worry about the future viability of this mall? It seems like the desirable tenants are slowly but surely leaving and being replaced by second-tier Eastland type stores. The location seems decent but is there really the population density up there to support the mall with Birkdale and Concord Mills both superior nearby options?
What stores does Concord Mills have that makes it so superior to Northlake? One of the 2 dozen shoe stores? The As Seen On TV store? Perfumania? The Disney Outlet that always seems half empty? Or could it be that its superior in that it has Bass Pro, Burlington Coat Factory, Nascar Speed Park, and T.J Maxx as some of the anchor stores?

I can get to either Concord Mills or Northlake in the same amount of time. I ALWAYS choose to do any shopping at Northlake. It is by far a nicer mall then Concord Mills. There is not one desirable store at Concord Mills that isn't at Northlake (or the surrendering area). The only time I go to Concord Mills is if a movie is playing at their AMC that is at a better time then the NorthLake AMC. Other then that I stay far, far away from that place.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:52 AM

829 posts, read 1,270,568 times
Desirable tenants "slowly but surely leaving" Northlake....hmmm, is this like all sorts of restaurant closings in the Dilworth/South End area?

And what exactly is an "urban" store?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 AM

159 posts, read 340,325 times
Concord Mills is the pits. I've been there twice and don't feel I ever need to return. Besides the traffic in that area is horrible. Why would anyone wait 5, 10, 15 or even 30 minutes to shop at a dark, run down mall when there are so many other options?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 AM

1,467 posts, read 3,276,481 times
If you look up the sales figures for Northlake, you will see that it is very healthy and has absolutely no risk of becoming Eastlandish anytime soon. A lot of Eastland's demise came from the surrounding neighborhoods' changing demographics and newer, more modern malls being built where all the target shoppers were moving to.

No, Northlake is not becoming another Eastland.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post

And what exactly is an "urban" store?
Stores that promote hip-hop fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or