Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 PM

55 posts, read 222,338 times

Advertisements

Well I dropped a pen on the Ryan contract (Stonewater Bay nr. Mtn. Island Lake) but told them to just do builder carpet 'cause the hardwood options were (a) too limited (Bruce Dundee strip; 4 stains; beveled "crumb-magnet" edge instead of square); (b) too pricey (like over $13/SF). So right after closing I want to do 3/4" solid, (not engineered or laminate). Approx. 2100 SF to include kitchen, DR, LR, study, bedrooms and hallways.

So now I'm looking for suggestions for a dealer/installer. I would prefer to deal with a single entity rather than buy from one place and have someone else install it. Anyone have good or bad experiences with the local "big boys" like Lowe's, Home Depot, iFloor, Lumber Liquidators? Or can someone offer a good suggestion? No preference between prefinished/site-finished unless someone wants to give me recommendations one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,348 times
I used Ifloor..got the premium install..they were great! I got quoted on price which included removal of carpet all prepwork, bamboo flooring, glue, all the moldings and installation. I probably paid a little more than other but, no one would give me a straight price...everything was extra. I was even able to return the extra materials for a refund. They were prompt and on time. The set up my install within 1 week of ordering. They were excellent. I highly reccommend stopping at there showroom and talking with them

Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
Sounds good, Brklyn2CLt, can I ask price on square foot?

MusicMax, I am also very interested in your outcome, cause I may be doing the same thing.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:27 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,348 times
I really don't remember how much it worked out to per sq ft. I was closing on my house in January and I wanted to get the floor done the day after closing (before I moved in). I went to the store with only the floorplan and they took there time to figure out exactly what materials and how much material I would need. I was told I could return any unused material. They were the only company that would give me a full quote on all materials and labor based on the floorplan only. They also explained the shipping and checked with there subcontractor to make sure he was available on the date needed. The subcontractor came by the day I closed on the house to deliver the floor( to let it acclimate) and to make sure no extra materials were needed.The floor itself was $1.99 a sq ft. labor was approx 3.50 per sq ft.and all the quarter rounds and reducers were probably about $700. The glue was also an additonal $700 (never realized how expensive glue is!!) My home was also a new construction and the builder wanted approx $12,000 for wood on the ground floor. When all was said and done I probably paid approx half that amount. The only thing is that they do remove the carpet but you are responsible for disposal of it. It was probably about $8.00 to $10.00 a sq ft. We also got the bamboo floors we really wanted (the builder didn't offer them). They also have a really informative website.

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 07-18-2007 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-19-2007, 06:31 AM

55 posts, read 222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
MusicMax, I am also very interested in your outcome, cause I may be doing the same thing.
OK it'll be a while... probably not going to break ground for a couple months (gotta get MY place ready to sell :-)).

Old 09-11-2007, 03:32 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Does anyone have any other recommendations for wood floor installers?
Any local installers? Or should we just head over to Lowe's or HomeDepot?
TIA

Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM

26 posts, read 144,676 times
Default check out Angie's List

My suggestion is to sign up on Angie's List...we use it for everything, floors, countertops, electricians. It gives ratings on tons of companies in and around Charlotte. Some companies even give discounts to AL members. It's like $40 a year to join but it's been well worth it for us.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambyr View Post
My suggestion is to sign up on Angie's List...we use it for everything, floors, countertops, electricians. It gives ratings on tons of companies in and around Charlotte. Some companies even give discounts to AL members. It's like $40 a year to join but it's been well worth it for us.
Angie's List has been the best investment I've made. I don't hire ANYONE until checking the list.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:13 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambyr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Angie's List has been the best investment I've made. I don't hire ANYONE until checking the list.
Great advice, thanks!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM

19 posts, read 86,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
Well I dropped a pen on the Ryan contract (Stonewater Bay nr. Mtn. Island Lake) but told them to just do builder carpet 'cause the hardwood options were (a) too limited (Bruce Dundee strip; 4 stains; beveled "crumb-magnet" edge instead of square); (b) too pricey (like over $13/SF). So right after closing I want to do 3/4" solid, (not engineered or laminate). Approx. 2100 SF to include kitchen, DR, LR, study, bedrooms and hallways.

So now I'm looking for suggestions for a dealer/installer. I would prefer to deal with a single entity rather than buy from one place and have someone else install it. Anyone have good or bad experiences with the local "big boys" like Lowe's, Home Depot, iFloor, Lumber Liquidators? Or can someone offer a good suggestion? No preference between prefinished/site-finished unless someone wants to give me recommendations one way or the other.

Thanks in advance.
Angie's List is under investigation and is basically a call center with a database. Anyone can put their name on their list. Try HOCOA, it's local and they actually screen the contractors for you to make sure they are qualfied and good. Have been a happy member for 4 years. Cheaper too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte